[WIP] GoingUnderground - Subterranean Habitats Mod

steedcrugeon

Seems like at least a floor should be divided into little rooms for them, and perhaps a bathroom (no need for an IVA seat there, just a door would be fine). I'd probably put the sleeping quarters at the bottom (more shielding), with the common areas next, and science/eva stuff at the top.

On 4/19/2017 at 3:54 AM, steedcrugeon said:

Funny you should say that I've just been browsing the USI Tools catalogue and spotted quite a few bits I'd like to integrate into some parts: distributed warehouse for bigger storage bunkers, power couplers and a few others (for the more advanced players, got to keep them bases running somehow!)

This is probably a good time to ask RoverDude if I can use USI Tools in this Mod. It ticks off the list pretty well and would add some features that would make it play nice with USI_LS (and possibly MKS but I don't know too much about that). I have a few questions I might ask about how I can bend the USI Tools PartModules to my purposes (how would I go about making certain buttons not appear in game, for single use deployments, that sort of thing).

License on USI Tools is GPLV3 so you can bundle it or even fork and expand it. I'm now working officially with RoverDude and can answer most questions you have about the plugin/MKS/USI-LS, either here or in PM.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

6 hours ago, tater said:

Seems like at least a floor should be divided into little rooms for them, and perhaps a bathroom (no need for an IVA seat there, just a door would be fine). I'd probably put the sleeping quarters at the bottom (more shielding), with the common areas next, and science/eva stuff at the top.

The 'facilities' for ablutions are on the B3 (the lowest floor) I realise the impracticality of trying to ascend and descend a ladder whilst toweled but they can throw something on in the wash area before moving levels. Currently the washroom is just missing little sign denoting as it as such but it is there. Also this is the level where the spares and snacks have been kept. The additional mess mandates that they be near the solid pressed regolith rather then supported above kerbal heads (simple philosophy, heavy stuff at the bottom, lighter stuff at the top, where practicably possible). 

Sciencing would take place on the upper level (B1) but that is not the primary purpose of this part (what will become the 'Armadillo' module) which is a command hub style bit, hence the large area for rudimentary mission control. That is also why the suit lockers are up there, as you correctly assume.

The common area on B2 level is not on the at the very bottom for reasons which will become clear Soon™. I have tried to split is up using 'open plan' design but where applicable area are enclosed/tented off; for instance the shift work sleeping area which can accommodate 4 but not the entire crew compliment. The risk assessment allows for the Fridge/Freezer to be on this level only because all of the kitchentte and associated apparatus are hear too (climbing ladders with many chilled beverages is deemed inadvisable to Jeb). It's also why the sink on B2 has it's own small water and grey water bottles, its easier to move them about that worry about plumbing and leaks when water is such a precious commodity.

Very nice project, I have been waiting for a mod that would allow me to do massive permanent base for quite a long time. I hope you get the help you need to get it done.

I believe there is some mods that already have the mechanics you are looking for. Construction wise, @allista Ground construction plugin might be what you need. I would also suggest to look at @RoverDude MKS Logistics to simulate underground connection between module and calculate production while not focuced on.

If you don't mind, I will trow around some idea and concept that you could inspire yourself with later tonight. Sadly its the only thing I can help with...

I have had a chat with RoverDude and it looks like i wil be able to use some of the USI tools PartModules to do some of the bits i need. At present it looks like players will have to manually drive the texture change when you reach the surface (or in advance if you know where it is landing).

The second part (a logistic hub) is coming together:

XwJ0SZh.png

The mod has come on a way a bit now and is a bit more mature in development. There is sufficient existing plugins available (and current) to allow for a suitable-ish level game play. The key component will come through the using one of the PartModule's in @RoverDude's USI Tools and through this limit the multiple deployment of this part.

This is achieved using USIAnimation (example below)

CrewCapacity = 0
MODULE
{
	name = USIAnimation
	deployAnimationName = DeployDrill
	secondaryAnimationName = Blink
	inflatable = true
	CrewCapacity = 8
	inflatable = true
	ResourceCosts = RegoSeal,3500,ElectricCharge,4000
}

You may note the use of 'RegoSeal' a new resource that will be introduced with this Mod unless the presence of MKS or Pathfinder is detected, in which case RegoSeal with be replaced with MaterialKits, a more common resource used by KSP off world building (the Qty will also be changed to balance).

RegoSeal is used by the part to create (when mixed with regolith procured, sifted and processed in the drilling process) a very tough and airtight skin, or pressure vessel if you will, in which Kerbals can reside comfortably.

EPL support is planned but not likely to be in the initial (beta) release.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:57 PM, steedcrugeon said:

I have perceive this ever so slightly different (and I have crossed checked that the theory is based on something plausible) so the core part players can land (or build insitu) is effectively a drill, regolith processor and 3D printer all in one. I do especially like the ESA concept at the end though.

IIRC, Angel-125 recently mentioned in his Pathfinder mod thread, that he is working on/considering implementing a 3D printer part/module, using either his own plugin, or maybe EL, to "print" ground station modules...

Maybe see if you two could colaborate or at least compare notes...???

IIRC, he's often in Discord chat...

EDIT: OK, I've read more since the post I quoted, and see you are already working with USI Tools... Might still be able to talk with Angel on how his 3D implementation is coming tho... :P

Edited by Stone Blue

I've spent a bit of time going round in circles unfortunately, I have been fruitlessly trying to solve a 'NODE' spawn error. It's really eaten into my mod making time but I have come along with the workshop module. Its very near completion:

CEXdTpp.png

I've resolved the previous NODE issue (my own foolishness) and thats been sorted. i have completed the IVA's for the Workshop/Logistics Hub and the Command Core (the latter is pictured below)

ipjKg6g.png

I've also been playing with internal camera switch, here's a view from B1 floor camera:

m7boPtL.png

The camera switch enables you too have a look around the IVA of the part, and see into the Airlock bit too.

This evening has mostly comprised landing a Test base on the Mun:

I fully admit that for test purposes I had to cheat (infinite fuel) to land everything. But this is all still for testing purposes, and mainly to prove the expansion concept behaves as intended.

@steedcrugeon  ok, that is realy cool. Do you plan to add super larger scale base? If you do, it might be interesting to have part on the ground, like solar farm or launch pad. maybe dome too. They do not need to have complex interior, just provide resource of various kind. Once done, player could place +100 colonists in them, indefinitely and without supervision. That would make a great endgame for KSP. I always wanted to do massive scale colonization.

Very nice. I think this will dovetail in nicely with all of the major base building mods. You've grabbed a good niche.

Have you thought about adapter parts for USI, Pathfinder, KBPS? Is it even relevant?

7 hours ago, RedParadize said:

@steedcrugeon  ok, that is realy cool. Do you plan to add super larger scale base? If you do, it might be interesting to have part on the ground, like solar farm or launch pad. maybe dome too. They do not need to have complex interior, just provide resource of various kind. Once done, player could place +100 colonists in them, indefinitely and without supervision. That would make a great endgame for KSP. I always wanted to do massive scale colonization.

In the current plan the largest scale single part will host 16 kerbals. but through the use of the expansion modules this single 'base' component could potentially host 64 kerbals

Other, non habitat derived parts are currently in the pipeline. that is all I will say on those at this point.

2 hours ago, helaeon said:

Have you thought about adapter parts for USI, Pathfinder, KBPS? Is it even relevant?

I had considered about integration with other mods, at least at the configuration level this will be done. Trying to balance costs will require more input from users of the popular colonization mods. At a 'model' level each of these vessels is meant to be stand alone, unless you chose to build a tower over the top and link from there, but that is up to the player. Typically the top compartment is pretty much always going to be an airlock of some variation (early tech tree parts excluded) and hoe I want to utilise the 'sunken' appearance whilst minimising part clippling, mean very little (at present) will be able to just 'bolt-on' the sides of these. If you wish to traverse the surface world to the other habitat modules you'll just have to go outside!

That sounds just fine. How about a small node on the surface part somewhere to attach a KIS pipe end, surface experiment pack plug, or maybe the USI or Pathfinder crew tubes (which are also just KAS pipes)? Sometimes it's nice to have a base as one large vessel rather than lots of individual pieces. Though I guess that could all be done via the top node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.