[1.4] Project Manager - Group and Autonumber Your Launches [09/03/2018]

Beale

19 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

you can save whatever files you want as long as they stay within the /KSP folder

14 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

There are several other mods (even very old ones) like Graphotron, and IIRC, even MechJeb, which can save logged data... IIRC, I think the rules are strictest with source code, but as long as its stated in the OP that the mod can create and save its own files as well, i belive youre good to go... Best to ask, but I think thats the gist of it...
Theres even a couple mods, that their ONLY purpose is to pull data from the KSP logs, and save it in seperate log files they create themselves...

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

As long as the mod doesn't save files outside the main KSP directory, you are fine.

Congrats on the mod, it's a new take on the craft naming idea.

Feel free to look at Persistent Dynamic Pod  Names for ideas.

Cool, thanks for the information.

First off, congratz @Beale on your first plugin! I would like to make some suggestions to help it grow. First I am with @Capt. Hunt on the reverts shouldn't count issue. I would also argue that a GUI would be awesome. It would potentially let you decide on a per project basis what numbering convention to use. Depending on how much work you want to put into this mod you might also be able to add a 'Re-designate' feature, say you launch Rus-Com-Sat 23 but you forget to deploy your solar panels or things break due to dangit or something, just click the Re-designate button and poof, Rus-Com-Sat 23 becomes Cosmos 98. Or your secret spy program gets discovered (cough cough), click the Re-designate button and poof, Discoverer 20 becomes Corona 20. A GUI could also let players manage their projects in ways other than launching craft like setting up projects that have no craft launches yet so you can plan out you project names ahead of time.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

On 25/04/2017 at 1:07 AM, Murdabenne said:

Any chance you'd want this to go on CKAN?  It would give this the wider attention it deserves.

Not a clue how.

On 24/04/2017 at 4:07 PM, akron said:

This is awesome. Thank you. I gotta tweak a lot of configs to get to the correct Number :D

Thanks!

On 27/04/2017 at 0:09 AM, Capt. Hunt said:

I noticed a minor bug, if you revert a flight it will advance to the next mission number.

3 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

First off, congratz @Beale on your first plugin! I would like to make some suggestions to help it grow. First I am with @Capt. Hunt on the reverts shouldn't count issue. I would also argue that a GUI would be awesome. It would potentially let you decide on a per project basis what numbering convention to use. Depending on how much work you want to put into this mod you might also be able to add a 'Re-designate' feature, say you launch Rus-Com-Sat 23 but you forget to deploy your solar panels or things break due to dangit or something, just click the Re-designate button and poof, Rus-Com-Sat 23 becomes Cosmos 98. Or your secret spy program gets discovered (cough cough), click the Re-designate button and poof, Discoverer 20 becomes Corona 20. A GUI could also let players manage their projects in ways other than launching craft like setting up projects that have no craft launches yet so you can plan out you project names ahead of time.

The revert issue is tricky, time-travel, kind of logic. I'm not sure how to approach it to be honest :) 

I would like to do a little more for this over the weekend, really nice ideas Foxxonius!

1 minute ago, Murdabenne said:

re: CKAN.  I can come up with the netkan file, but it would take me a while, haven't done one since early 2016.  Or @linuxgurugamer night be able to do it a lot faster, I think he has an automated way of doing it.

What would it mean for maintenance, if you know?

Somebody made a CKAN for Tantares and it caused nothing but problems. Maybe it was done wrong.

Edited by Beale

1 minute ago, Beale said:

What would it mean for maintenance, if you know?

Somebody made a CKAN for Tantares and it caused nothing but problems. Maybe it was done wrong.

Given the simple nature of this, no tangled dependencies, maintenance should be minimal. It is for most apps.  Tantares was a different circumstance IIRC

Edited by Murdabenne
clarification

24 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Given the simple nature of this, no tangled dependencies, maintenance should be minimal. It is for most apps.  Tantares was a different circumstance IIRC

Cool, thanks.

5 hours ago, Beale said:

Not a clue how.

Thanks!

The revert issue is tricky, time-travel, kind of logic. I'm not sure how to approach it to be honest :) 

I would like to do a little more for this over the weekend, really nice ideas Foxxonius!

About the revert, maybe just an option to manually create and increment/decrement counters... What do you think?

I mean, in-game, without resorting to .cfg editing...

Edited by jlcarneiro

4 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

Thanks @linuxgurugamer !  Can you share your script file?  Is it in bash/perl/python or similar?  I'd like to see how you go about automating the generator. That way I can possibly pick up some of the niche apps that interest me which just need a netkan entry for CKAN. PM me if you wish

It's a very messy bash script.

Essentially, I unpack the file into a temp directory, then do searches in there for various things.  It's not perfect, but most of the time gets it correct.

@Beale This is a great addition for roleplay career! Congrats! :)

But for being truly useful, there are absolutely necessary things to be added:

1. Correct dealing with "revert to launchpad/hangar", "recovery before liftoff" and maybe some other non mentioned "simulation/engineering mode" situations, where project counter shall not be incremented.
  2. More diversity to numbering syntax: "MunProbe 1", "MunProbe-1", "MunProbe - 1", "MunProbe I", "MunProbe A", etc.

Because if craft names still need to be corrected because of those mentioned reasons, than what the point in this? :rolleyes:

Also one more suggestion: syntax ability to add mission status/describer word before actual craft name. Like !simulation and !mission status here:

Edited by ZobrAA

On 29/04/2017 at 4:52 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Going into CKAN now

You could have asked first. I'm a little uneasy about being 'drive-by CKANed'.

Pretty rude buddy.

On 30/04/2017 at 10:59 PM, ZobrAA said:

@Beale This is a great addition for roleplay career! Congrats! :)

But for being truly useful, there are absolutely necessary things to be added:

1. Correct dealing with "revert to launchpad/hangar", "recovery before liftoff" and maybe some other non mentioned "simulation/engineering mode" situations, where project counter shall not be incremented.
  2. More diversity to numbering syntax: "MunProbe 1", "MunProbe-1", "MunProbe - 1", "MunProbe I", "MunProbe A", etc.

Because if craft names still need to be corrected because of those mentioned reasons, than what the point in this? :rolleyes:

Also one more suggestion: syntax ability to add mission status/describer word before actual craft name. Like !simulation and !mission status here:

Nice feedback, many thanks.

Edited by Beale

On 4/29/2017 at 11:52 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Going into CKAN now

You could have asked first. I'm a little uneasy about being 'drive-by CKANed'.

I'm sorry.  I thought you wanted it done, based on your comments.

Do you want it removed?

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm sorry.  I thought you wanted it done, based on your comments.

Do you want it removed?

I would prefer it removed, if it is not too much trouble, I've been burnt by CKAn in the past and would just like to avoid it to be honest.

Thanks.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:54 PM, Beale said:

Most likely done wrong.  But feel free to contact me when you have issues like that

I would prefer it removed, if it is not too much trouble, I've been burnt by CKAn in the past and would just like to avoid it to be honest.

Thanks.

Sure, I'll take care of it.

Again, I'm sorry.  I saw some comments, forgot to check whether it was the author or not.

May take me a little time to get to it (today, definitely)

Ok, I was able to remove it.

It should be out the next time people refresh.

Sorry you had issues with CKAN.  I've always found that CKAN installs usually have fewer install issues than manual installs.  Too easy to make a mistake, at least with CKAN, it's a (for me) known and constant method to install.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Most likely done wrong.  But feel free to contact me when you have issues like that

Sure, I'll take care of it.

Again, I'm sorry.  I saw some comments, forgot to check whether it was the author or not.

May take me a little time to get to it (today, definitely)

Ok, I was able to remove it.

It should be out the next time people refresh.

Sorry you had issues with CKAN.  I've always found that CKAN installs usually have fewer install issues than manual installs.  Too easy to make a mistake, at least with CKAN, it's a (for me) known and constant method to install.

Many thanks, sorry for any issues here.

Yesterday I installed this with cKAN. Today my cKan got bugged when I clicked on the project manager on the list saying "missing module"... then I deleted the mod, I tried to reinstall i noticed it disappear from cKAN list! Is it my side or the mod realy got deleted from the cKAN list?

Edited by Crusoe
mistake in my english:-)

3 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Yesterday I installed this with cKAN. Today my cKan got bugged when I clicked on the project manager on the list saying "missing module"... then I deleted the mod, I tried to reinstall i noticed it disappear from cKAN list! Is it my side or the mod realy got deleted from the cKAN list?

The previous 6 comments on this thread talk about this mod being added to CKAN without the mod authors permission. He has stated that he prefers it not be on CKAN. Until the mod author's wishes change it will not be on CKAN, and adding it without his permission is a big no no.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.