KSP Weekly Challenge Suggestions

Hey everyone, a couple weeks ago our good friend @Badie from Squad started a "Weekly Challenge", which seems to have attracted quite a lot of attention, and is off to an excellent start. And after talking to her a little about it, I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread with suggestions for future challenges, so she isn't stuck trying to do it all herself.

The rules for your challenge suggestion are up to you, but please bear in mind these weekly challenges are just for fun, and a chance to show off some of your wilder KSP creations and/or moments. They aren't meant to be as difficult or strict as "official" challenges, so to speak, and with maybe an exception here and there, not the kind of challenge you would do to earn a badge.

So I'll go first with a suggestion I pm'd @Badie a couple days ago concerning the new green meanie monoliths recently added into the game. Turns out they're randomly generated anywhere on a planet or moon, and will never appear twice in the same place from game to game. So you can't help anyone else, or spoil it for anyone, by posting a screenshot of where you may have found one.

Which is my weekly challenge submission. Quite simply, find a green meanie monolith and post a screenshot of it, and maybe the ship and/or rover that located it.... the more unusual the location the better.

Now, I leave the floor open to the rest of the forum... what can y'all come up with for a weekly challenge???

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

So I'll go first with a suggestion I pm'd @Badie a couple days ago concerning the new green meanie monoliths recently added into the game. Turns out they're randomly generated anywhere on a planet or moon, and will never appear twice in the same place from game to game. So you can't help anyone else, or spoil it for anyone, by posting a screenshot of where you may have found one.

Superb idea, I didn't even know they existed!  Hopefully I find one when I Elcano Moho soon :)

I know we had the food challenge a while back, and I spotted this amazing craft the other day, so maybe one of the weekly challenges could be musically themed.  totally pointless, but very funny, and there are myriad instruments that the community could turn into flyable (and not so flyable) ships.

SM

Whatever is chosen by Badie, I think it should be a "challenge" rather than a "showcase". 

i.e. "Make an SSTO with less than 10 parts" rather than "Post a piccie of an SSTO that you made".  

Edited by Foxster

How about something like "Kerbal Architect Program" wherein you have to build a stationary building with no way of moving, then add it to the space centre by using some system to tranport it to the complex somehow? (I.E. detachable rover wheels.)

Edited by MiffedStarfish

On 4/24/2017 at 7:11 PM, Abastro said:

Shoot the mun and bounce intact. (50m/s bounce should be possible - would bouncing back to kerbin be possible?)

Even skimming bounces top out ~150m/s, unfortunately. The little airplane wheels top at 325m/s, which is still a little shy. With careful vehicle strutting, I believe empty open fairings can be bounced in the several hundred m/s range, but things become very unpredictable in that regime... Hm, I'll bet someone has the skills, but it sounds like a trick. Minmus would be a much easier prospect, though! Free return from the surface occurs somewhere around 255-285m/s, which is totally within reach of the little airplane wheels!

On 4/20/2017 at 9:57 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

I'd like to see another 'Stress Out The Devs' challenge.

My entry :cool:

I'll be there! &)

On 5/2/2017 at 6:39 AM, EBOSHI said:

Kerbal "Spice" Program on Minmus.

1. Being a landing vessel.
  2. Being at least one drink and a snack or a dish.
  3. Kerbals are on board.
  4. Having fun making.

Ooh! I'd jump at another opportunity to make flying food. Minmus sounds like a great destination for its flat ground and low gravity. Hm... what foods pair well with mint?

For my suggestion: Put a thing in super low solar orbit (below 1Mm, no heat cheat, infinite fuel ok, glitches ok). If you put a wide battery on the flat end of an inflatable heat shield, it becomes an impervious barrier to radiant heat as long as it's pointed straight down. As an example, this hype train-

Spoiler

It's a bit of a trick, but it's a nice way to make sun stations in stock.

On 24-4-2017 at 8:30 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

How about something like "Kerbal Architect Program" wherein you have to build a stationary building with no way of moving, then add it to the space centre by using some system to tranport it to the complex somehow? (I.E. detachable rover wheels.)

I like this one. Half a year ago I was already building a village 50km north of KSC. I could continue and turn it into a town.

Let's face it ... everyone's gone to space and most challenges have been repeated over and over again. Why not do something with the bleedin' barren planet? If there's something I've learned in the 5 years of using KSP ... space is boring. Lots more fun starts below the Karman line.

Edited by Azimech

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

I like this one. Half a year ago I was already building a village 50km north of KSC. I could continue and turn it into a town.

I'd love to see your pictures...

I too, have a giant vehicle for moving modules on Kerbin's surface. I've even used it to get ships in and out of the water before... might have to dig it out if we were to do that kind of challege

Well I was working on a super-epic endurance challenge before a game-crash derailed me. It's the Kross-Kerbin Invitational (I'll make a thread about it as soon as I get the flags put down). You launch from the KSC in your Rover. You go around the mountains, and then to that little lip near the desert. Take your landing craft with your rover in it across the sea/river/whatever it's geographic name is. Then it's a run to the temple. After you reach there, you'll finish at the KSC2! over 20 stages, with each stage being around 60km in length. You thought the Dakar challenge was hard? HAH!

1 minute ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Well I was working on a super-epic endurance challenge before a game-crash derailed me. It's the Kross-Kerbin Invitational (I'll make a thread about it as soon as I get the flags put down). You launch from the KSC in your Rover. You go around the mountains, and then to that little lip near the desert. Take your landing craft with your rover in it across the sea/river/whatever it's geographic name is. Then it's a run to the temple. After you reach there, you'll finish at the KSC2! over 20 stages, with each stage being around 60km in length. You thought the Dakar challenge was hard? HAH!

Another fine suggestion! Count me in!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.