The WORST Bugs and glitches

I'm starting a new question (this isn't really a question but in fact a topic, but it's related to this but you can only ask questions here), and it is about the WORST bugs and glitches. Post your worst bugs and glitches here, and also, if possible and if you know how, a solution to the problem.

I have had so many that it's not even funny. I'll provide a little background about the bugs and glitches I experience, and why they are SO ANNOYING for me.I work two jobs, and when I get home at 5pm (Australian time), I usually have until 9pm until I need to get ready for a 10pm night shift until 1 am. Anyway, getting off topic.

So I have like four hours and I devote that time to playing KSP. For some reason, when I load the game, it will freeze, and I'll have to restart it. That happens around 3, 4 or even 5 times before a successful load, and that's not all. I am writing this in frustration, as the game froze twice, but then loaded on the third time (third time lucky?), and when I loaded my science mode save file, everything went fine, and I saw that I had some science points left, so I spent them. Also, when I'm in the science tech tree, when I click on a node and press 'Research', the science will be spent, but the node will still be grey, like if I haven't unlocked it yet or something.

I found out that if I just exit the science tech tree and go back in, it will be green and I'll own the parts. But that's not the major problem. When I clicked 'Close', to go back to the KSC and build a craft with the new parts, as you usually would, it didn't close. The top menu stayed on the science tech tree, but 3/4 of the way down at my screen, it had the KSC menu where you can timewarp to the next morning or whatever.

I suffered through the loading screen freezing twice before I got back in, and this time I steered clear of the RnD building, thinking that it must be a rare bug or glitch with the science tech tree. So when I clicked on the VAB, the same thing happened. I clicked on it, but it wouldn't load. It was then unclickable. I tried the SPH, and it happened again. Trying every single building, but no, once I clicked on a building, it was unclickable again. I then pressed the pause button and tried clicking on 'Exit To Main Menu'. And, when I clicked it, it didn't exit. It was ALSO UNCLICKABLE. I tried every button in the pause menu, and they were unclickable once I clicked them even once. I am VERY frustrated, and I am trying to see if I could fix this by just reloading the game. But, it has now froze twice, and I don't know what to do.

I work for eight hours in an office job, and KSP is the only thing that pulls me through, just thinking 'at least after 3 more hours of Excel spreadsheets I can go home and attempt a rover landing on Eeloo, or work on my asteroid base or whatever' keeps me from going insane at my boring workplace. Sorry for this LENGTHY forum post, but yeah, I'm VERY frustrated and I want to just uninstall the game, again.(I had to uninstall it the first time because of a modulemanager glitch where it reloads the database, and it deleted every flag, part, save file, sound, resource, and basically every single item in the Kerbal Space Program folder except for the patcher and actual game). Why does this happen?! Why?! ;.;:mad::(:0.0:

Edited by KerbalManiac
Putting spaces between the text

Holy wall-of-text batman!
Please, for the sake of my poor widdle brain, use the [ENTER] key from time to time.

And more importantly*:

When logs are eliminated, all that remains is a rhetorical question.

*Linking to modded support due to mention of ModuleManager. I'm not reading that mess to deduce current mod status.

Edited by steve_v

Ok. I kinda feel your pain yet none of this happens to me. I'm running ksp on windows 7 laptop with 8gb ram and a nvidia 512mb graphics card and 2.8ghz cpu. What are your computer specs?

Knowing them could help a little for others to ease your pain.

I have a cockpit interior model in several scenarios, such as the vehicle editors and credits. Good old 0.25, Windows XP, 2004 Gateway laptop.

Also, I can't stage with space sometimes. I have to start up each engine manually, which is not good for ships with more than one engine in a stage.

Edited by Mrcarrot

22 hours ago, KerbalManiac said:

Putting spaces between the text

Muuuch better.* :)

As for your issues, I've seen stuff like this before, but it's always been mod bugs or mod interactions causing it...
If this is happening in a stock game, my only suggestions are: Corrupted install, corrupted save, AV interference or some other file-access problem, or possibly some of KSPs threads crashing due to OOM or hardware instability.
The logs will most likely reveal the culprit.

* Pedantic trivia: It's not "spaces" that were missing, rather Carriage Return / Linefeed (CR/LF). Hence "Return" (from the typewriter) is an alternate label for the "Enter" key.

Edited by steve_v

3 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Muuuch better.* :)

As for your issues, I've seen stuff like this before, but it's always been mod bugs or mod interactions causing it...
If this is happening in a stock game, my only suggestions are: Corrupted install, corrupted save, AV interference or some other file-access problem, or possibly some of KSPs threads crashing due to OOM or hardware instability.
The logs will most likely reveal the culprit.

* Pedantic trivia: It's not "spaces" that were missing, rather Carriage Return / Linefeed (CR/LF). Hence "Return" (from the typewriter) is an alternate label for the "Enter" key.

Ok thanks. I searched through the game log, and I found something called 'ModuleManager'. What is it? I have NO mods installed, is it something that KSP uses to install mods?

the hanging on load is usually a sign of low memory, but that usually only happens when the game has too many mods for the 32 bit .exe to load.  The MM issue you mentioned sounds like an AntiVirus software issue, unless you installed it wrong MM shouldn't delete anything in your KSP folder.  Also, we need an Output_Log file to figure out what's going on.

16 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

the hanging on load is usually a sign of low memory, but that usually only happens when the game has too many mods for the 32 bit .exe to load.  The MM issue you mentioned sounds like an AntiVirus software issue, unless you installed it wrong MM shouldn't delete anything in your KSP folder.  Also, we need an Output_Log file to figure out what's going on.

And how do I get an Output_Log file? Is it created every time I run the game? Is it a crash file?

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:35 AM, maceemiller said:

Ok. I kinda feel your pain yet none of this happens to me. I'm running ksp on windows 7 laptop with 8gb ram and a nvidia 512mb graphics card and 2.8ghz cpu. What are your computer specs?

Knowing them could help a little for others to ease your pain.

I'm running on a HP Windows 8 laptop/notebook/'probook', with an intel core i5. I don't really know the exact computer specs, but that's my greatest guess from what I can see on my laptop around the keyboard. I have to run the game's graphics at medium or it has a massive framerate drop, and when I've added like a second or third module to any of my space stations I have a framerate of around 15 per second.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:16 PM, KerbalManiac said:

I'm running on a HP Windows 8 laptop/notebook/'probook', with an intel core i5. I don't really know the exact computer specs, but that's my greatest guess from what I can see on my laptop around the keyboard. I have to run the game's graphics at medium or it has a massive framerate drop, and when I've added like a second or third module to any of my space stations I have a framerate of around 15 per second.

okay, that doesn't really help.  No offense, but that's kinda like saying "I think my car is a red one."  We'll need more in order to help you, the Output log would be especially useful. 

Given your framerate description, I'd say your specs are on the low end.  There are a number of websites that can tell you your specs, or you could even right click the start button and select "System"  That will tell you some basic info.

I've started using the great 'Active Texture Management' mod, and now the loading times have gone from like 10 minutes to like 4! The only thing I experience is the occasional glitch, like a Kerbal basically being unconscious or something, but other than that, the load times are very short! :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.