Kerbin is not 10x smaller than Earth

Joseph Kerman

Earth's diameter is 12,500,000 m (6,250,000 m radius), which is more than 10 times Kerbin's size (1,200,000 m diameter)

Other unrelated observations:

- The Kerbin-Mun distance is not to scale with the Earth-Moon distance. The Moon, being 384,400 km from Earth, means that the Mun must be 38,440,000 m, not 12,000,000 m away from Kerbin.

9 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Other unrelated observations:

- The Kerbin-Mun distance is not to scale with the Earth-Moon distance. The Moon, being 384,400 km from Earth, means that the Mun must be 38,440,000 m, not 12,000,000 m away from Kerbin.

That may be true, but it is still a video game, not an accurate representation of real-world spaceflight. The orbital mechanics and physical properties, as well as aerodynamic forces, of vessels in game are pretty darn close to real life, but while Kerbin and Mun are no doubt modeled after our own planet, it in no way meant to be a scaled-down version of our system. Kerbin is Kerbin.

I find KSP to be 1/10th real scale in planet sizes. That would make Kerbin about 0.94 Earth radii (with a higher density than Earth), or 6,000 km in radius. Eve, by comparison, in real life would be scaled to 7,000 km (1.09873 Re). It would have an incredible density of 8.532 g/cm^3, making it an iron planet and explaining those weird seas of liquid metals.

Mass is something different. Kerbal-scale mass is 1/100th real-scale mass. I found this out when making the Trappist-1 system for Interstellar Adventure Revived. Eve would have 2.0523 Earth masses, while Kerbin would only have 0.887 Me.

I believe Kerbin's semi-major axis is real scale. However, Kerbol should be a red dwarf star of about 0.376 solar radii. I will do some calculations later to see how massive Kerbol must be, and also how hot it is.

Yeah, the Kerbin is just loosely a 10x smaller version of the Real Solar System - there's a lot of discrepancies, like the Sun being quite large, the Mun being quite close, and strange bodies like Tylo and Minmus. It's what I like about it, it's not just a carbon copy of reality.

Also, Ike. That's just totally its own thing :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.