[1.12.3] Spectra Visual Compilation 1.6.2 "Horizons" (26th July 2022)

HafCoJoe

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, ReturnOfJebediah said:

Hello,

Is Spectra compatible with EVE's Boulder Co? It has added detailed atmospheres at low performance costs, but I've noticed a flat, blurred texture on the planet eve (with none of the decals, bands, etcetera showing above) while working alongside Spectra.

Greetings :)

By EVE Boulder Co., could you link me the page that you're getting this info from? If this is what I think you're referring do, that was the name of the old 'default' cloud configs which EVE used a number of years ago, back when it was run by the original creator — those configs probably aren't relevant anymore. Furthermore though, Spectra's configs are actually very well optimized - I spent many long hours figuring out the best settings to improve FPS while keeping the visuals still within acceptable bounds.

It's also worth mentioning that by installing both Spectra and Boulder Co., you've actually lowered your performance from using either, since you're effectively loading two completely separate set of cloud configs and textures at the same time.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:59 AM, HafCoJoe said:

Greetings :)

By EVE Boulder Co., could you link me the page that you're getting this info from? If this is what I think you're referring do, that was the name of the old 'default' cloud configs which EVE used a number of years ago, back when it was run by the original creator — those configs probably aren't relevant anymore. Furthermore though, Spectra's configs are actually very well optimized - I spent many long hours figuring out the best settings to improve FPS while keeping the visuals still within acceptable bounds.

It's also worth mentioning that by installing both Spectra and Boulder Co., you've actually lowered your performance from using either, since you're effectively loading two completely separate set of cloud configs and textures at the same time.

Yep, that's right, thanks! 

I heard they'd work in tandem, looks like my source overlooked some issues.

3 hours ago, ReturnOfJebediah said:

Yep, that's right, thanks! 

I heard they'd work in tandem, looks like my source overlooked some issues.

All good, yeah it sounds like they might not've known about the decreased performance. I love the curiosity though :D it might be fun for you to hear that I spent a lot of time mucking around inside the files of a number of old EVE packs (Better Atmospheres, the original Astronomer's packs, KSPRC,  Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements, Stock Visual Enhancements, etc.) to see how they ran things, and to learn tricks that I could implement in Spectra.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I'm having a sort of strange issue with Spectra. I'll link an album of some images of different planets along with my gamedata / spectra folder as an example. Planets seem to lack detail in their clouds, and Jool's scatter effect seems broken. I've installed Spectra, Scatterer, EVE, etc. through CKAN, and am using Kcalbeloh's planet pack.

https://imgur.com/a/c0wiXKj

EDIT: Never mind, the issue seems to have been resolved. What worked was removing Spectra, Scatterer, and EVE before reinstalling them through CKAN.

Edited by nir2250

• 1 month later...

@HafCoJoe (or anyone else who can help) Thanks for making this. Spectra makes stock Kerbin look great. I have 2 questions, followed by some comments for context.

Does Spectra prefer a specific version of Scatterer?

Can you suggest any specific settings I should look at to adjust Spectra's haze for Kerbin?

• I want to see distant terrain more clearly when flying airplanes and land masses to be more visible from low orbit. I don't want it to be crystal clear just a little bit less hazy. In theory reducing Spectra's haze settings or boosting contrast or boosting saturation might accomplish that. (The nightside of Kerbin is also a little too black for me, which I can adjust later via ambient light settings after getting the haze adjusted to my liking).
  • My attempts to cut through haze with TUFX  caused severe banding on oceans. I therefore uninstalled TUFX and now want to see if there's a way for me to change the haze at the source.
  • I installed everything via CKAN, followed the top post directions, included all of Spectra's optional CKAN stuff such as 64K clouds and KSPRC City Lights, and have the Scatter and EVE dependencies.
  • Scatterer syntax changed between versions 0.07xxx and 0.08xxx. Some planet packs that use the old syntax need specific versions of Scatterer. I don't know if Spectra has similar requirements. I am currently using the latest Scatterer via CKAN.

• 1 month later...

If anyone else is trying to use this with the latest volumetrics and the latest fan-made volumetrics spectra you may find some effects missing. The only one I have noticed so far is the Laythe glowing clouds (which were not actually clouds but glowing dots that floated in the atmosphere). You can fix this yourself by installing this version of spectra (or in other words, the original spectra) then applying my patch on page 65.

edit: anything past volumetrics release 2, which is not available anymore, will not work with 2d cloud layers which spectra uses. So if you use anything past release 2 it seems this mod does nothing.

Edited by StormxWolf

• 3 weeks later...