KSP Challenge: Have you found a green monolith yet?

Darth Badie

6 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Hale should have the worlds most obvious monolith considering how tiny it is and Ovok should stand out massively against the white surface-you could probably spot it, quite literally, from space. And I've been babysitting the scanner in a polar orbit for an ingame week, and every ? that's come up has proved to be a tracking station or mundane monolith/other easter egg. I'm determined to find one on Kerbin, because I want to land my Flying Wing on it.

Yeah, Hale and Ovok are easy because of their size. So was Gilly. The one giving me the hardest time still is Slate. I know I'm right on top of it, but I can't spot it anywhere... I'm starting to wonder if it buried.

Oh, I'm out of likes for today, but tomorrow you get one for the flying wing... :)

Edited by Just Jim

5 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yeah, Hale and Ovok are easy because of their size. So was Gilly. The one giving me the hardest time still is Slate. I know I'm right on top of it, but I can't spot it anywhere... I'm starting to wonder if it buried.

Even if it's buried, shouldn't it still show up on the scanner?

21 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Even if it's buried, shouldn't it still show up on the scanner?

Yes, and that's my problem, according to the scanner, I should right on top of it, but I don't see one anywhere. The one I found on Tekto was about half buried, so I suspect this one is partially or completely buried as well.

Oh, this is the one I found on Tekto. But unfortunately it's on the far side, and Tekto is tidally locked, so I couldn't get beautiful Sarnus in the background.

sOw3EFh.png

Just now, Just Jim said:

Yes, and that's my problem, according to the scanner, I should right on top of it, but I don't see one anywhere. The one I found on Tekto was about half buried, so I suspect this one is partially or completely buried as well.

Oh, this is the one I found on Tekto. But unfortunately it's on the far side, and Tekto is tidally locked, so I couldn't get beautiful Sarnus in the background.

<schnip>

Offtopic, but you could use OPM-VO to compensate for the lack of Sarnus, it very recently updated to 1.2.

5 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Offtopic, but you could use OPM-VO to compensate for the lack of Sarnus, it very recently updated to 1.2.

Wow... I don't know if my computer could handle that yet, or if I'd need to get some more RAM (which I need to do here soon.) 

Back on-topic, what I'm really curious about are any of the other Kopernicus based mods that add other planets and/or moons and whether anyone has located a green monolith on one of them.

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... I don't know if my computer could handle that yet, or if I'd need to get some more RAM (which I need to do here soon.) 

Back on-topic, what I'm really curious about are any of the other Kopernicus based mods that add other planets and/or moons and whether anyone has located a green monolith on one of them.

Is this a stock KSP thing that adds monoliths to every world, or do mod makers have to add them in? If it's the former, every planet pack should have one on every world.

Just now, voicey99 said:

Is this a stock KSP thing that adds monoliths to every world, or do mod makers have to add them in? If it's the former, every planet pack should have one on every world.

I honestly don't know, that's why I'm curious about the other mods besides OPM. 

42 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Nice... love the lander!!!

Thanks. 

I haven't played with KerbNet or CommNet much so really didn't know what I needed to scan for anomalies. 

The Wiki said I needed a CommNet link direct to Kerbin for anomaly scanning to work. I wasn't sure if that was necessary if CommNet was turned off like I usually play but I turned it on to be safe. Then I didn't know how much aerial I needed for the link from Eeloo to Kerbin, so stuck four of the biggest on and hoped it would do - it gave a 55% signal strength when I got to Eeloo. 

I'd checked the Wiki for anomaly detection and settled on a RC-L01 probe core as it has up to a 90° FoV and 30% detection rate, which seemed a reasonable compromise. I then tried a 90km polar orbit as that let me see the whole planet at the widest FoV. I set timewarp to 50x and stared at the KerbNet screen while about three KSP days passed and then suddenly the magic "?" appeared!

A quick landing (with the help of MJ so that I got close easily) and Robert is your mother's brother. 

VA9TbOT.png?1

24 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

it's ludicrously extravagant and over-engineered, and I love it for it. The only design flaw I can see is the use of fragile octostruts as landing gear...

I seem to rarely use landing struts these days. They never seem big enough or they look fugly or they weigh too much. 

The octos have 7m/s impact resistance and so are OK for other than a rough landing. Even if they do break there is a spare set above them :wink:.

Edited by Foxster

it seems that your image(s) didn't work @swjr-swis.

Heres my entry i found two during this carrier. Unfortunatly i had allready unlocked everything in the techtree.

I am proud on the second craft - to land such a massive thing on tylo is thrilling.

Edited by KroShan
addendum

8 hours ago, Foxster said:

The Wiki said I needed a CommNet link direct to Kerbin for anomaly scanning to work. I wasn't sure if that was necessary if CommNet was turned off like I usually play but I turned it on to be safe. Then I didn't know how much aerial I needed for the link from Eeloo to Kerbin, so stuck four of the biggest on and hoped it would do - it gave a 55% signal strength when I got to Eeloo. 

Might I point you towards this?

According to that, with a LVL3 TS, you only needed a HG-55 :P

18 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Might I point you towards this?

According to that, with a LVL3 TS, you only needed a HG-55 :P

Ah, very useful, thanks. 

I strongly suspected I was way over-doing it on the aerial front.  

I didn't participate in the last challenges, as they didn't really catch my eye. But as I have been nonstop building stock warships for weeks now, I think I need a change of pace. I'm am going to attempt to find both monoliths in the Duna system, in style! I am going to to do this with a mothership, which I am going to outfit in orbit. So far, I have launched the main section, absent of landers. The mission will be spearheaded by Nana and Tedburry Kerman, the scientsists, piloted by Phil Kerman, and kept working by Cary Kerman the engineer.

0Si8Ibj.jpg

All systems go. Launch in T-5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Ignition.

phU0m5W.jpg

One last look at the strange anomaly they hope to find on Duna.

CSuR2Vx.jpg

Separation of stage one confirmed. Beginning circulisation burn.

iiLlegv.jpg

Fairing deployed, separation of booster confirmed.

3PL4xZ2.jpg

Solar panels deployed, relay antenna picking up transmissions. All systems online, Duna Anomaly Locator 1 is standing by.

Thats all I have done so far, next I will fly up landers and possibly a plane, then burn for Duna. This will be a real test of my docking abilties, as though I can rendezvous with ease, the only time I have docked is in the tutorial, and that took at least 20 minutes. 

On 20/04/2017 at 8:56 PM, voicey99 said:

I'm determined to find one on Kerbin, because I want to land my Flying Wing on it.

Mission accomplished :D.

r0R2VAt.jpg

The reason it took me so long to find this one is because it was at 9°17'S 138°23'W, the proximity of which to Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn meant I kept confusing the two ?s until I actually saw both together (which required me to launch a RoveMate into a very high orbit).

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

Mission accomplished :D.

r0R2VAt.jpg

The reason it took me so long to find this one is because it was at 9°17'S 138°23'W, the proximity of which to Tut-Un Jeb-Ahn meant I kept confusing the two ?s until I actually saw both together (which required me to launch a RoveMate into a very high orbit).

Are they within visual of each other? Too cool!!!!

Just now, Just Jim said:

Are they within visual of each other? Too cool!!!!

No cigar, they are 45km apart (but still close enough for me to confuse the KerbNet markers). Still, I can see TUJA if I zoom out a bit.

20 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

No cigar, they are 45km apart (but still close enough for me to confuse the KerbNet markers). Still, I can see TUJA if I zoom out a bit.

Bummer... it would have made a really cool screenshot. Still, I totally understand why it would be confusing to find. Well done!  :D

The upper of the circled ?s is TUJA, the lower is the Grunolith. Before I launched the RoveMate, KN only usually showed one or the other (or none) so I was unaware they were different  ne. I made a point to fly over to TUJA and visit it before flying back.

sPcbdzU.png

On a side note, you have no idea how many reloads it took for me to nail the Grunolith landing. Good thing the stall speed of the Flying Wing is only 30m/s and it has a high enough stationary jet TWR (there are 4 Junos on a 5t craft, I never removed them after I smashed the back end into the ground and cut half the mass from the design) to go vertical.

4 hours ago, Urses said:

I say only

Hi from Ceti, Bob approves

EqFDGaE.png

big mountains around and i was forced to fly per Jetpack there (GPP Greenolith/Randomlith)

Funny Kabooms

Urses

PS: non SQUAD planets spawn them too

Non Squad planets DO NOT spawn them unless the devs put it in their planet pack :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.