Going to Laythe and back with a VTOL tilt-wing SSTO!

hazard-ish

In a feat of Kerbal engineering, the boys at the SPH have devised a way to make fully stockarrow-10x10.png hinges and pivots! Using this breakthrough, the technology has been incorporated into the design of a new SSTO to give it VTOL capabilities, as well as enough fuel to go to Laythe and back without refueling or need for mining!

In order to rotate the wings, the tilt-wing section un-docks to become a separate craft that can move independently of the main ship. It's held in place by two rings of cubic octagonal struts around some of those Oscar-B fuel tanks as a sort of axle. Torque wheels are used to rotate the wing and lock it into position using the 'radial out' marker on the navball. Finally, 4 small docking ports lock the section back in place- rejoining it with the rest of the craft fairly securely in a quadruple seal! 

As a lot of you have found out, in order to get the craft working as intended the nuclear and RAPIER engines had to be modified by altering their config files.

Here's the video I made that I have had inarrow-10x10.png the works for a while now. A lot of time and effort went into making this but I am really happy with it so I hope you enjoy watching it! :)

Edited by hazard-ish

That looks like some amazingly efficient engineering right there. Do you mind providing a download link so that I could possibly take it for a spin, and also to check how much delta v it has?

@hazard-ish you are a proven poster of fake videos. Not only this one but the Tylo landing one too, goodness knows what other videos you cheated on. This is not stock, it is modded, and a lie. For shame. You changed the engine power and weight. On the rapier and the nerv.. What the hell are you playing at? You are making a mockery of those youtubers who work had to make great stock craft. This crap should be deleted from YT.

Edited by Majorjim!

@hazard-ish I'd suggest that you edit the Fully Stock part of this, and then it's true; we know that it's fake like @Majorjim! above me here said; plus the video posted further up the thread; just admit you made a poor choice, man. We won't judge you for it... we will, however, judge you if you continue to keep up this exposed lie.

Edit: Saw the video you uploaded; good on you for telling the truth. :)

Edited by CosmoCat

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

So this is for real? He really did cheat? Why?

Yup it's fake. He changed the engine power, it weight and weight of the nerv engine. 

Why do people normally cheat? Because they are weak, unskilled or otherwise unable to succeed without it. 

28 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Yup it's fake. He changed the engine power, it weight and weight of the nerv engine. 

Why do people normally cheat? Because they are weak, unskilled or otherwise unable to succeed without it. 

While I'm willing to accept and mostly agree with that reasoning (I would add lazy, BTW) about (habitual) cheaters in general, I see @hazard-ish as an entertainer. While it's disappointing he did the video and passed it off as stock, I'm not going to ding him as harshly because I don't see his video as true gameplay videos. (I.e. how to play the game well.) I see them as having fun with the game. I've seen other video with "cheats" as well, the difference being they disclose (or even advertise) that fact.

The fact he's willing to (now) disclose it is a step in the right direction. It would've been better if he did this from the start (disclosures, craft files), but hindsight and all that at this point. We'll see once the work with @Matt Lowne is done.

I still value his work for the entertainment value. They may not be as impressive now, but they're still fun videos to watch, "real" or "cheated".

Now for a bad pun: pretty "hazardous-ish" of him to claim it was a stock vessel. :sticktongue:

Edited by StahnAileron
Clarifying first sentence: Sounded too much like I was calling him a "cheater" in a passive-aggressive manner.

3 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

@hazard-ish you are a proven poster of fake videos. Not only this one but the Tylo landing one too, goodness knows what other videos you cheated on. This is not stock, it is modded, and a lie. For shame. You changed the engine power and weight. On the rapier and the nerv.. What the hell are you playing at? You are making a mockery of those youtubers who work had to make great stock craft. This crap should be deleted from YT.

Dudes, watch it a little, please! There is a person at the other side of all those notifications. Yes, he lied to people, and he got caught. Bad on him, but he must be feeling pretty excrementsty already. And it's not like he lied while running for an election or something! This is a game, and whatever benefits he can get from his youtube account, a pittance at most. I'm just saying, put things in perspective, even if you like your daily dose of drama.

Rune. Be slow to anger, so that when you do get angry, it's for the right cause.

Edited by Rune

@hazard-ish Forgive me for how I acted earlier; I have a sore spot for those who cheat, and I had no right to take it out on you. Hopefully my words haven't hurt you... I know that they were wrong, and I'm very happy since you came out and told the truth on that Interview, as well as the temporary video you'd uploaded previously. You and @Matt Lowne are two of the reasons I started my own channel, so the fact of everything being chill now just makes me smile; I know it's doubtful you will, but I hope you maybe respond and let me know if all is forgiven. I am just one person, after all. ^^

A impressive and honest conversation. @hazard-ish, @Matt Lowne, both of you deserve respect for your efforts being honest people.
Mr. Lowne is obviously a very kind person and Mr. "Hazard-ish" aswell, who has my personal "absolution".

I am personnaly amazed about certain things i see and read in this forum.

"Wooow...":)

15 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

So you're saying Danny's weak, because he uses HyperEdit. You're saying I'm weak, because I use cheats sometimes myself. Why? Well, do you think I'm experienced in mechanics and rocket science and all that? No, I'm not, I'm just someone trying to see if a craft works. Sometimes I just don't have enough fuel and I have no choice to put infinite on. Or sometimes I want to just shove it in orbit, so I use HyperEdit.

I just have less experience with actual rocketry, that's all...

It seems like this could very easily turn into a @hazard-ish hate thread, so lets just admit that he did something immoral and move on with our lives. It's just the reasonable thing to do. He already apologized for it. Shaming him after that makes US immoral, so let's quit this and move on. All this will most likely be forgotten in the next few months anyways. Use common sense. It's time to stop.

1 minute ago, TopHeavy11 said:

It seems like this could very easily turn into a @hazard-ish hate thread, so lets just admit that he did something immoral and move on with our lives. It's just the reasonable thing to do. He already apologized for it. Shaming him after that makes US immoral, so let's quit this and move on. All this will most likely be forgotten in the next few months anyways. Use common sense. It's time to stop.

I don't hate him. Am I upset? A little. But I still like him. His crafts are cool.

On 20-4-2017 at 7:30 PM, Majorjim! said:

@Majorjim! There were multiple ways you could have reacted to it. I don't think this was the proper way.

@hazard-ish Its still an impressive video. I can't even get any VTOL anywhere near Laythe, if I even get the VTOL working.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2017 at 9:47 PM, Majorjim! said:

I definitely disagree with unskilled. He is very skilled. Just look at his proper videos for proof. Not everyone can get to Eeloo and back with a craft that masses less than 4 tons.

Edited by TheEpicSquared

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I definitely disagree with unskilled. He is very skilled. Just look at his proper videos for proof. Not everyone can get to Eeloo and back with a craft that masses less than 4 tons.

I never said he specifically was unskilled. Just that is why people usually cheat. I would take any video he made with a pinch of salt. So to speak. 

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.