Discussion on bunking of video from Hazard-ish

qzgy

So I saw this video today from Matt Lowne.

The reasoning behind this seems quite sound. Its actually kind of disappointing since the feat would have been amazing if this was true. Also kinda concerning if this is actually the case, considering the notoriety from this particular video. Any thoughts or comments?

Spoiler for moderators

Spoiler

I hope this does not go against the forum rules, especially 2.2n. Please move or lock if this is inappropriate.

The problem with trying to fake something in KSP and then sell it to the masses is that the games community is all wannabe rocket scientists and as such we are generally more clever than your typical facebook feed.  Tricks like this usually get figured out pretty fast.

Edited by Alshain

The thing is that it seems that the Tylo video also mentioned in the above video is actually from last year. So I don't know if 1 year counts as "pretty fast". But you are correct in your statement.

My math shown in Matt's video is conclusive proof that the performance shown in Hazard's video is not even close to possible with stock parts and gameplay.  If you prefer less math based evidence, many individuals have responded with other evidence that Matt did not include in the video.

1)  These are screengrabs from his build video, showing non-stock part statistics

https://i.gyazo.com/c60328274503fb372594f993567f43cf.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/39602996f945f3770dfed6bdb6bc380d.png

2) During his landing in another video, he clearly has fuel consumption off during a landing burn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlMbG4fUmRA&feature=youtu.be&t=479

I couldn't get a ship that size off the ground with 4x as many engines as he used, so I was wondering how he did it. And I was 100% sure I didn't forget to release the launch clamps. 

Now the question is, how many MOAR ENGINES are required to make it actually fly? Because all problems can be solved with more engines and more boosters. Mostly. :) 

@hazard-ish WHHHHHHHHHHY?! :( YOU WERE SO AWESOME! 

At this point, i just don't believe a video that doesn't provide a craft file. A cynical reading would be that Hazardish has gotten lazy and tried to fleece his audience, a charitable one would be that he cheated to try to keep up with an unreasonable release schedule, as an alternative to just not putting content up, which is understandable but still excrementsty

2 hours ago, EvermoreAlpaca said:

1)  These are screengrabs from his build video, showing non-stock part statistics

If each of the 12 rapiers was 0.5 rather than the stock 2 tonnes, that 18-tonne reduction in mass explains probably half of the craft's apparent advantage over stock.  The discussion might go badly if people try to divine whether differences to stock were intentional or accidental.   But it clearly helps the community to know that: no, a VTOL space-plane like that looks like that in stock parts is about 50% too heavy to do what is shown, so be inspired but don't feel bad if your performance is different.

The moral of the story might be that we gotta be careful about leftover modifications when we participate in challenges.

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I just think we should let him go. Not everything has to be real in order to be impressive.

Maybe, but then it's dishonest to advertise yourself as "100% legit" while you clearly use HyperEdit or something like that

6 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Maybe, but then it's dishonest to advertise yourself as "100% legit" while you clearly use HyperEdit or something like that

Did he say its 100% legit somewhere? Did i miss something?

1 minute ago, NSEP said:

Did he say its 100% legit somewhere? Did i miss something?

He does say the video is "STOCK" in the title itself, so yes, he says so. The video is supposed to be legit, and it most certainly isn't.

He did, however, admitted he turned re-entry heat off, but of course it was easy to miss.

And even then, to quote him: "Keep in mind: although no mods were used to make anything easier/harder than normal, for the first Kerbin aerobrake and parts of the Jool aerobrake scenes I had to briefly disable re-entry heating."

2 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

He does say the video is "STOCK" in the title itself, so yes, he says so. The video is supposed to be legit, and it most certainly isn't.

He did, however, admitted he turned re-entry heat off, but of course it was easy to miss.

And even then, to quote him: "Keep in mind: although no mods were used to make anything easier/harder than normal, for the first Kerbin aerobrake and parts of the Jool aerobrake scenes I had to briefly disable re-entry heating."

Ok, so he did lie, wich is kind of sad.

I still enjoyed the videos. Claiming something as stock if it isnt (at least not that easily possible in stock) is probably not very fair, but a lot of effort and editing went into these videos to make them look good. Which might be the goal in this case

These revelations make me wonder if Hazard-ish has atleast some way of cheating on all of his videos.
I mean, if you go that far, you can go all the way.
Not that I have proof. But if you lie atleast once your probably lying all the time.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy his videos. Most of his missions look like they haven't been cheated. But like I said, since hes lying atleast once, it's safe to guess he has already done it on his earlier videos.

He's probably progressively cheated more over time. Like you start by cheating a little, and when no-one notices you get emboldened and cheat a bit more and so on, seeing how far you can take it.

There's no questioning the guy's skill. It's like an athlete who takes steroids to break new records, you couldn't take your everyday joe and pump him up with steroids and have him break world records, you still have to be supremely skilled and dedicated, but it cheapens the accomplishments and does a disservice to those who play by the rules.

It's good that so many in our community would like to make sure that no misinformation gets spread around. Of course, let's be careful it doesn't turn into a witch hunt. Well done for not doing that .:).

Quick pre-thought: Has anyone noticed that he renamed that video "Notorious Tilt-wing Video"?

It's sad that a youtuber who has been so clean has resorted to dirty clickbait-y tricks and cheating to get subscriptions and views. But maybe everyone is over-reacting a little to this. It was one video that has been proven false. Behind those videos is a real person, and for whatever reason, he was dead-set on making a tilt-wing to Tylo, and he couldn't do it fairly for some reason, whether that be stress limits or time constraint, so he cheated to make it happen. I've cheated in this game a couple times, and God knows that all of you have too, so don't go hating on him. Yes, it was cheat-y and yes, it was wrong, but he obviously has a guilty conscience about it, so just forgive and forget. Don't be a hater. Don't be a hypocrite. We all like to play this game, so let's have fun, regardless of cheats and just move on.

Interesting..... and sad. I've worried about this same issue writing Emiko Station, that someone might call me out for something I did... so I've always been really careful to point out if and when I used HyperEdit, vs. when something amazing really did happen.

I would recommend every writer and video maker do the same, especially after reading all this.