Perpetuum mobile possible with KSP ?

Triop

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

Can it be done ?

I looked for posts about this on the forum but found 0.

Any thoughts or ideas about this ?

Perpetual motion you mean?

Yes, RTGs have infinite power, and a reaction wheel would turn that into motion.

Boom. Broke physics.

('course, physics isn't like that in real life. :wink:)

15 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

Perpetual motion you mean?

Yes, RTGs have infinite power, and a reaction wheel would turn that into motion.

Boom. Broke physics.

('course, physics isn't like that in real life. :wink:)

(Google translate **** with me....<_<)

But searching for Perpetual motion on this forum also says 0...

If it is possible (even with mods, not counting full rewriting of cfg files.), where are all the machines ?

could you build one, just for example ?

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Can it be done ?

I looked for posts about this on the forum but found 0.

Any thoughts or ideas about this ?

Well there is this crazy contraption by Scott Manley that creates endless thrust by pumping ore around 2 spinning beams with 4 ore tanks... :P 

Obviously it requires some mods to work - notably Infernal Robotics and kOS - but he's demonstrated the fundamental physics deficiency he used with stock parts.

Also, if you google Kraken Drive, you'll see all sorts of physics abusing monstrosities that'll fly wherever you want for free. Needless to say, there's a lot of insane exploits within the physics engine. :wink: 

Edited by wadusher1

11 minutes ago, wadusher1 said:

Well there is this crazy contraption by Scott Manley that creates endless thrust by pumping ore around 2 spinning beams with 4 ore tanks... :P 

Thank you for making me feel even more stupid then I was, just watched Scott's video and I didn't understand any of it...:confused:

^_^

The reason I asked was I made this contraption:

kquNwWR.png

sdfE7LL.png

Now I've made a probe with reaction wheels and when I release it in the tunnel and turn the vessel it will go forward on its own, not using power.

This can go on forever, but it is slow...

Making a perpetudinges that would pick up speed would be awesome.

Edit: I should make a video...

Edited by Triop

Certainly you can get up to shenanigans with reaction wheels, as @W. Kerman points out.

Back in the day, I managed to build a functional fully-electric whirlybird, entirely stock, powered by reaction wheels; it could fly up to (IIRC) around 20 km altitude...

OVduL0h.jpg

...That was in 0.90, though.  No idea if it would still work in 1.2.2.  Aside from the KSP aero model being different back then, it also relied on "massless parts" being truly massless and dragless.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some form of reaction-wheel whirlybird were still possible.

I made one on 1.2, to test if electric tiltwing VTOL is possible. This one only has the VTOL part.

afoXbpE.png

If I remember correctly, this one got to 8km. Without the heavy crew cabins, it could get to 25km~30km and get broken(this was typical test routine of my electric propellers).

Abandoned it as it was hard to control.

EDIT: You can find more of these here

Edited by Reusables

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.