Thread Starter Identification - Now with Image!

Speeding Mullet

I was browsing a forum for a game recently, and noticed a pretty cool update that they've made to the threads.  Basically it identifies who the OP is.  I think it helps identify OP in long threads, debates etc where it might not otherwise be clear.  Also gives people a little sense of accountability when creating a thread. 

I've mocked it up (horribly) for KSP below, and I thought it would be a nice thing to consider when next updating the forums.  It's probably already been suggested but my cursory glance suggested it hadn't.

SiV2UaF.jpg

Interested in thoughts!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet
Added image

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I do want to point out that the OP is listed at the top of each page in the thread.

I know that the OP is listed at the top of the page of each thread, but when reading through huge threads it's a nice QOL touch to be able to visually distinguish the OP's posts at a glance (or less).

I can link you to the forum via PM that I'm talking about if you'd like to see it in a "live" setting?  I won't link it in this thread as said game has age advisory I think.

SM

Just now, Speeding Mullet said:

I can link you to the forum via PM that I'm talking about if you'd like to see it in a "live" setting?  I won't link it in this thread as said game has age advisory I think.

Nah, it's ok. Thanks for the offer, though. :)

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

Nah, it's ok. Thanks for the offer, though. :)

All good!  I'm interested in your thoughts while you are here though - Do you see the idea as having any negative effect, or can you see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing to implement?

SM

28 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Do you see the idea as having any negative effect, or can you see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing to implement?

One concern I would have is this: It's a misconception to think that threads belong to the OPs. Threads belong to the community, and the OP doesn't have special privileges in them, aside from the mods offering the courtesy of closing threads upon request. A tag marking the OP would reinforce this misconception. 

I could see the feature being useful though, especially in gameplay questions and the support forums. 

16 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

All good!  I'm interested in your thoughts while you are here though - Do you see the idea as having any negative effect, or can you see any reason why it wouldn't be a good thing to implement?

Yes, I can see it having a slight negative effect.

Sometimes, when an OP starts a thread, they think they have total control over it. This is not true. They have some control, but to a point. My feeling- and let me be clear, I'm speaking for myself and not the Moderation team- is that this will encourage something like this, acting as a "badge" of authority.

Darn it, Red ninja'd me.

15 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Yes, I can see it having a slight negative effect.

Sometimes, when an OP starts a thread, they think they have total control over it. This is not true. They have some control, but to a point. My feeling- and let me be clear, I'm speaking for myself and not the Moderation team- is that this will encourage something like this, acting as a "badge" of authority.

Darn it, Red ninja'd me.

And that's why he has a crown!

Thanks @Red Iron Crown and @Dman979 for you input.  @Frybert thanks for dropping in :).  I hadn't considered the perception of giving false authority (or the belief of quasi moderation status) to the OP in the post to be honest, as it's not something I ever knowingly fall foul of.

Back to running the Shuttle Challenge with an iron fist :wink:

SM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.