The Stargazing Thread

Shadow Wolf56

Welcome everyone! This thread is a continuation of @Endersmens Stargazing thread!

This thread has been dedicated to stargazing and telescopes to those fellow stargazers among us.

feel free to show people your telescopes, and so on (*feel free to do other stuff as well!*)

I have a Celestron 6 inch telescope that is a bit expensive, but works great! (*sorry no other telescope details because I'm on holiday. Also I'm not able to take pics yet:/*)

Edit: wait, I have a Celestron Nexstar 6SE Schmidt-Cassegrain

Edited by Shadow Wolf56

4 hours ago, Shadow Wolf56 said:

this reminds me of when I went out one night and saw jupiter and its four main moons...

I did so yesterday :-)

I like apos. All measures in millimeters.

80/480 ed-apo (serves as a guide scope). "Explore Scientific" is the brand. It's objective is quite good, a 3 lens air spaced triplet. I see no colour fringes even at 150*, though f/6 is sporty. But i wouldn't call it an apo. The focuser is made after a banana greased with petroleum jelly. It holds its own weight plus the small guiding cam ... barely.

115/805 full apo (lzos lens, german tube assembly, starlight ft 2.5" focuser). Very proud. Got that used. The objective is a medium range (strehl .976). One one occasion i was able to view Jupiter with a 2.5mm eyepiece in very quiet air.

And there is a 200/1000 newton tinkered together (gso glasses, baader focuser, plastic tube) which works good enough.

What are you guys dreaming of ?

The humble dream: A 130 or 150mm f/7 apo (air spaced, i don't trust the oil spaced stuff) on a stationary mount in a shelter in the garden. Can't afford it.

If i would win the lottery (but i don't play so i do not loose money :-)) i would construct me a 2m f/4 cassegrain with a decent instrumentation, fully robotic, up on the hill, to join the efforts of planet and asteroid searchers. Big toys for big guys.

Celestron EdgeHD 11" here. Mostly dabble in astrophotography and some planetary with a ASI120MC.

With local light pollution basically in the "white zone" its hard to get much of a wow-factor with visual observing besides looking at the moon, planets or double stars like Albireo. Ive used my AP setup to show friends and neighbors some fairly decent single-exposure shots that they wouldn't be able to see with the eyepiece alone.

16 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

@NSEP, when are we going to get your telescope info?

Im so sorry, i keep forgetting it ): i have not been paying attention to it since i have other things to care about. So don't expect the info to come soon, but ill add it to my schedule and we will see. I apolgize. Thanks for your patience ):

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.