ARS

What's the most useful part (in your opinion) for your creativity in building stuff in KSP?

30 posts in this topic

The title says it all. What's your most useful stuff that allows you to think various possibilities in building stuff in KSP?

For me, it was small nosecones. It's basically allows me to place engines, intakes or whatever I want to attach on any part with a small attachment point. Especially handy when building airplanes and trying to balance it

What about you?

Not sure If I get this right. I find command modules pretty useful, becaust you cant control anything without them. The second most useful thing are engines, followed closely by fuel tanks.

3 people like this

The radial attachment part. I use it with clipping regularly to get some great craft.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Cubic Octagonal Struts.  I've used them for everything from making anything radially attached to making skids out of them.  Need to make a weird shaped structure?  Good for that too!

Edited by Soda Popinski
4 people like this

Procedural tanks. Nothing opened up the possibilities like that mod.

1 person likes this

Docking/attachements points/ports. Those are always useful.

1 person likes this

Mk 1-2 command pod. The very heart of many designs I come up with (except the spaceplanes I build)

1 person likes this

My brain.  Oh you mean parts in KSP, well I use the Girders to do various things I can't seem to do directly or when I need something stronger than some other better looking but weak part.  But maybe I'm just not being imaginative enough.

That little green-black checked circle that tells you where to attach things.

Now, that's an unsung hero if I've ever saw one.

8 people like this

The translation tools aren't a part, but they make building the ship I want very user friendly. 

I'd have to say the small girders as well, or maybe the 1x1 and 2x2 panels. Very useful for building structures.

Posted (edited)

Editor extensions redux. So many useful features! Personally, I use the no-offset limits and t to toggle surface attachment the most while in the SPH/VAB.

Edit: If you mean actual parts on craft, I have to say cubic octagonal or ibeams

Edited by qzgy
3 people like this

Muy first thought was the gizmos, but when I realized you meant PARTS parts, then the cubic octagonal hands down.

1 person likes this

Editor extensions.
Oh, wait, you mean stock parts. Cubic octagonal strut then - it's been the standard tool for putting things where they don't belong since it forever.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Editor extensions redux. So many useful features! Personally, I use the no-offset limits and t to toggle surface attachment the most while in the SPH/VAB.

Edit: If you mean actual parts on craft, I have to say cubic octagonal or ibeams

Where can I get it? I have several design that cannot be completed since the offset limit is always preventing me to do it

9 minutes ago, ARS said:

Where can I get it?

Though I don't use them a lot, basic fins. They have a decent colour scheme, full radial attachement and have so many uses. 

4 hours ago, steve_v said:

Thanks a lot! :)

They say the quicksave is your best friend, and I certainly won't dispute that, but the strut connector has long been my second best friend. I use it to hold things together that should simply fall apart on the launchpad. I know the autostrut is now pushing it aside a bit, but not for me. I do my own flyin' and my own struttin', thank you very much.

1 person likes this

Anything built in the VAB/SPH tends strongly towards commonality and regularity and symmetry.

I find that for real variety, the KAS Screwdriver and a junkyard or crash site in the wilderness is key.

Th most useful part for me in building creative contraptions is having lots of parts. It's really great.

Posted (edited)

I get a ton of use out of the small cubic octagonal strut. I've landed on it, used it to attach skycranes and command pods (so as to spawn with a crewmember even though I used the rover seat) to rovers, made roll bars out of it, and even used it as an ultralight aircraft's framing.

A close second would be the almighty strut. The two combined are quite useful indeed:

mnQBpdY.png

Edited by moogoob
4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Most useful part for creativity? Am I allowed to say all the modular wings? Together they let me make pretty much any planform I like and it will look good.

EDIT: A few of my more eccentric designs:

A retrofuture rocket ship landed on an alien world: https://flic.kr/p/GHS2Uj

A flying saucer, of sorts: https://flic.kr/p/xDv4tz

A solar-electric glider with cranked wings: https://flic.kr/p/qS5SRP

A 9-winged STOVL mining plane: https://flic.kr/p/wgRaGH

Something that I only gave the appellation "LOLplane": https://flic.kr/p/qiW69v

Edited by cantab

The service bays.

I've crunched so many parts that otherwise would've been stuck outside the ship and even probably effect the drag of the ship into it. It helps the fact that KSP allows clipping of many parts into one.

I've lost count of how many science modules and batteries I've squeezed into just milk the science out of Kerbal! :D

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

By far the most useful stock part is the humble cubic octagonal strut. The no offset building mod killed it stone dead though. :D

If you are building without no offsets mods then yeah, it's a god send. In fact I hold it in such high regard I made a statue to it to place in my KSC a while ago:

'In struts we trust'.

2vb3ara.png

Edited by Majorjim!
3 people like this