Issue with symmetry

I'm reviving an old mod, the Kurrikane.  I'm having a problem with the symmetry, you can see the issue in the below image.

I want the symmetry to go around the cylinder, but as you can see, it doesn't.  I tried placing the new fin at each end, and you can see how awful it looks.

Here is a link to the part:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/931osajbb16sw19/AABSn2QaW4wiPZPEqCd7o-P-a?dl=0

Try any fin, I'm using a small adaptation of the basic fin, but this happens to anything I try.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

wohl2xw.png

The parts you are trying to attach are being symmetrically attached around the parts origin point. If you load up the .mu file into Blender and have a look at the model, you'll see that the origin point (CoM in-game) is at the bottom end of the model. So when you have flipped the model 90 degrees like you have in that image, and try to attach something using symmetry, you'll end up with that as a result.

I checked the collider and it checks out. It is a lower-poly copy of the model itself, so there are no issues there. I'd suggest either flipping the model or changing its point of origin using CoM offset in the .cfg file.

EDIT: Just to really clarify if it was not obvious, the parts attached are being symmetried around the collider.

Edited by liquidhype

Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem

not only that, but I just noticed that trying to show the COM in the editor doesn't work on it, no COM is shown until I attach another part.  Yet the Engineer's report shows the mass

Also, if the parts are being symmetried around the collider, how does changing the COM fix the symmetry problem?

Edit: I found the problem about the COM, Physics was disabled for the part

Edited by linuxgurugamer

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem

Sounds more like the part is offset from it's origin, I'm just running it through unity to see if it was, the mu exported wildly off center but thats not that unusual., well it seems ok now,    the surf attach pos is all wrong but that aside seems ok.   Hopefully I got the right end of the stick :) let me know if indeed it is correct and i'll shove the changed file your way

WspB2fT.png

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Sounds more like the part is offset from it's origin, I'm just running it through unity to see if it was, the mu exported wildly off center but thats not that unusual., well it seems ok now,    the surf attach pos is all wrong but that aside seems ok.   Hopefully I got the right end of the stick :) let me know if indeed it is correct and i'll shove the changed file your way

WspB2fT.png

Looks much better!

I already have a correct COM offset (I used Nodehelper to figure it out), but what do you mean about the surface attachment postition being wrong?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Well i've no idea how it's used of course but I'd have thought that the surface attach would be on the surface rather than on the center line of the model and offset ,  this being the position at which the Sonde attaches to things, rather than things attaching to it,   in fact in this instance it'd work better left undefined, so I'll give that a quick try . well it works for me , and here it is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1kxo8xywm195ez/Kurrikane.zip?dl=0

6 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Well i've no idea how it's used of course but I'd have thought that the surface attach would be on the surface rather than on the center line of the model and offset ,  this being the position at which the Sonde attaches to things, rather than things attaching to it,   in fact in this instance it'd work better left undefined, so I'll give that a quick try . well it works for me , and here it is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1kxo8xywm195ez/Kurrikane.zip?dl=0

Thanks a lot, now I can finish this and demo it on Sunday.

I'll research the surface attach,but I thought it was definied in the cfg here:

node_attach = 0.0, 0.20, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Edit: And I see you fixed the COM as well, so I can remove the adjustment.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 4/21/2017 at 11:51 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

That' s it exactly and 0.0, 0.20, 00  is indeed straight up the center line of the model    Something like 0.193,  0,  0,  1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1  would place it in the position shown below, that seems more appropriate than being partly submerged in any part it is  attached to.

THmGZ3T.png

Can I get that Kerbal IVA dummy anywhere...?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.