Need Mac and Linux Testers for planet textures

I have been pounding my head into my keyboard over what could be causing this effect when Mac and Linux users (openGL) use DDS textures.
U9AllPB.jpg

I am pretty sure it has to do with the way I'm saving these textures, So what I have done is compiled multiple versions of the same textures in DDS format, each saved a little differently.

What I need is a few testers on those OS's to try out each one of these texture packs and see if the above effect appears or not. (obviously we don't want it)

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

• Start a new game and go to the tracking station, tab to Versuch and report what you see here.

If any of these packs work with Linux or Mac, please report which pack you used and your OS

This moon (Versuch), replaces the Mun in the stock game.

REQUIRES KOPERNICUS

To Install

1. Install Kopernicus   LINK

2. Install the Versuch folder into your Gamedata folder

DOWNLOADS:

Versuch A1

Versuch B1

If these don't work, I will experiment more.

**Versuch is just a test moon and is not career ready but you can still enjoy it in sandbox mode if you choose to keep it.

Edited by Galileo

14 minutes ago, Shadow Wolf56 said:

I'm downloading versuch a right now!

(*cos I use Mac*)

I have tested versuch a and kerbin is not in line and versuch is normal.

(BTW my internet is super slow today so I have to go)

kerbin will look normal with every single pack. You need to go look at Versuch, Kerbins moon that replaces the stock mun...

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Shadow Wolf56 said:

Versuch A:versuch appears to have the same texture as the mun. (which is interesting cos I have stock visual terrain)

This isn't for use with other mods, it's just a test to see if I can get dds textures to work with Mac and Linux. It will not work with SVT or any other mods

1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@Galileo about to start up KSP. What specific info do you want (logs, screenshots...)

You'll need to test it in a game with no other mods.

I just need your OS and what pack worked for you. (If any) :)

I appreciate the help. I have contacted the RSS guys as they use DDS textures and don't have this issue on mac or Linux but I haven't received an answer back. I don't really expect one though because the devs don't really frequent the forums anymore

Ok cool back to the drawing board. I am determined to make this work. Not just for Mac and Linux users but for me. I am tired of having to maintain a PNG version and a DDS version. It gets tiring for sure. The most frustrating part is that it's something I'm doing.

Edited by Galileo

No reason to have other testers, then?

EDIT: @Galileo I'll add that I've seen this moire effect when rescaling images in PS.  If the texture has fine enough lines in it, it may be unavoidable at some resolutions? Unsure if that helps but, there ya go.

Edited by Trann

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

U9AllPB.jpg

That looks like a texture without a mipmap. Some random googling suggests DDS textures can contain mipmaps; maybe Windows clients auto-generate them on the fly, but Mac and Linux need them in the file? Is there a mipmap option in the tool you're using to generate DDS files?

Edited by HebaruSan

48 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That looks like a texture without a mipmap. Some random googling suggests DDS textures can contain mipmaps; maybe Windows clients auto-generate them on the fly, but Mac and Linux need them in the file? Is there a mipmap option in the tool you're using to generate DDS files?

Yes im generating MipMaps for Versuch A and C.

B and D are without mipmaps as I thought this might be the issue as well. 

I'm using photoshop with the Nvidia dds plugin. 

I have a few more things I can test but I may need to test and see what happens when I render the textures with gimp, although, as a graphic designer, I despise that program.

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yes im generating MipMaps for Versuch A and C.

B and D are without mipmaps as I thought this might be the issue as well. 

Ahh, cool; I just wanted to throw the word out there in case it might help. Here are some screenshots from Linux; they all show that same visual artifact.

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have a few more things I can test but I may need to test and see what happens when I render the textures with gimp, although, as a graphic designer, I despise that program.

Is the source file to render available online? I could take a shot at it in GIMP, with your permission. As a Linux user, I don't know any better. :)

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Ahh, cool; I just wanted to throw the word out there in case it might help. Here are some screenshots from Linux; they all show that same visual artifact.

Is the source file to render available online? I could take a shot at it in GIMP, with your permission. As a Linux user, I don't know any better. :)

the source file is just the Versuch00 texture.

And by all means, do what you want. This is a throw away texture I'm using so its free game. Ill take help where i can get it

I just posted Versuch A1 for testing in the OP

The textures are 4k 72ppi w/mipmaps

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

the source file is just the Versuch00 texture.

And by all means, do what you want. This is a throw away texture I'm using so its free game. Ill take help where i can get it

EDIT: Yup, I was missing the DDS plugin for GIMP. Your file loads fine with it installed.

Any suggestions as to whether Versuchs A, B, C, or D are the best to start from?

Edited by HebaruSan

8 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Well, my copy of GIMP doesn't seem to know what a DDS is, so you may not need to torment yourself with it after all. I'll poke around to see if I'm missing a plugin.

ADzEM8r.png

yeah there is a plugin or 2 you need

I am uploading a gimp version now. Funny, for someone that dislikes gimp as much as i do, I sure had a fresh copy of it on my computer

Versuch B1 is now up for download in the OP

Made with Gimp. 4k w/mipmaps

Edited by Galileo

A1 and B1 look the same as the original A-D for me. The file I exported myself just makes the Mun disappear completely; I generated it with no compression, so it ended up at 44 MB, and there must be a limit.

Maybe Unity3d doesn't support DDS mipmaps on non-Windows platforms. The name stands for Direct Draw Surface, and Direct Draw is not in the pipeline for us. I wonder whether the same issue happens if you use OpenGL on Windows?

Just now, HebaruSan said:

A1 and B1 look the same as the original A-D for me. The file I exported myself just makes the Mun disappear completely; I generated it with no compression, so it ended up at 44 MB, and there must be a limit.

Maybe Unity3d doesn't support DDS mipmaps on non-Windows platforms. The name stands for Direct Draw Surface, and Direct Draw is not in the pipeline for us. I wonder whether the same issue happens if you use OpenGL on Windows?

I have tried the -force-opengl thing and i dont see the issue. Also, all of squads textures are DDS as well as RSS's and they all work fine on OpenGL. I dont know what else to try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.