Need Mac and Linux Testers for planet textures

That "int m_MipCount = 13" line looks very interesting. I bet that's from KSP_Data/sharedassets2.assets, going by the last line. Unfortunately people online are saying those files are intentionally hard to decode.

The RSS stuff in GameData/RSS-Textures is indistinguishable from yours to my eyes, except their normal maps are named Mars_NRM.dds instead of Mars001.dds. They do omit the file extensions, which likely doesn't matter, but what about these additional fields under the Material, like shininess and specular? Maybe Unity3d gets confused on Linux if they aren't set?

Material
			{
				texture = RSS-Textures/MarsColor
				normals = RSS-Textures/Mars_NRM

shininess = 0.05
				specular = 0.05,0.05,0.05,1 // needs tweaking for Mars

rimPower = 3.0
				rimBlend = 1.6

Gradient
				{
					0.0 = 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, 1.0
					0.2 = 0.125,0.1225,0.12,1.0
					0.6 = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
					1.0 = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
				}
			}

12 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

That "int m_MipCount = 13" line looks very interesting. I bet that's from KSP_Data/sharedassets2.assets, going by the last line. Unfortunately people online are saying those files are intentionally hard to decode.

The RSS stuff in GameData/RSS-Textures is indistinguishable from yours to my eyes, except their normal maps are named Mars_NRM.dds instead of Mars001.dds. They do omit the file extensions, which likely doesn't matter, but what about these additional fields under the Material, like shininess and specular? Maybe Unity3d gets confused on Linux if they aren't set?

Material
			{
				texture = RSS-Textures/MarsColor
				normals = RSS-Textures/Mars_NRM

shininess = 0.05
				specular = 0.05,0.05,0.05,1 // needs tweaking for Mars

rimPower = 3.0
				rimBlend = 1.6

Gradient
				{
					0.0 = 0.1, 0.15, 0.2, 1.0
					0.2 = 0.125,0.1225,0.12,1.0
					0.6 = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
					1.0 = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0
				}
			}

I would say try Versuch B1 and remove the file extension and add only the shininess and specular code to the cfg. The gradient won't matter.

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I would say try Versuch B1 and remove the file extension and add only the shininess and specular code to the cfg. The gradient won't matter.

Well it looks different, at least! I don't know whether this is good or bad:

XzJyWlf.png

6 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

XzJyWlf.png

Its progress! Im uploading something. You will have to delete all of your other versuch related files in your gamedata for this one

20 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

XzJyWlf.png

Ok, I think this will do it!

Versuch C1

Just drop Versuch and VersuchTextures into your gamedata.

If this works, it means OpenGL does not like planet textures being in a PluginData folder and the fix is to basically move the textures and fix your directory.

Having the textures in a PluginData folder has its advantages, but I can look past it if i dont have to maintain 2 separate mods all the time

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ok, I think this will do it!

Versuch C1

Just drop Versuch and VersuchTextures into your gamedata.

If this works, it means OpenGL does not like planet textures being in a PluginData folder and the fix is to basically move the textures and fix your directory.

Good news, everyone!

9v3VYcR.png

No idea how you figured out that folder thing. The white ball means missing textures, plus inference from RSS's folder structure?

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Good news, everyone!

9v3VYcR.png

No idea how you figured out that folder thing. The white ball means missing textures, plus inference from RSS's folder structure?

OMG FINALLY! I have struggled with this for 8 MONTHS, and never once did I think about why RSS uses a separate folder for their textures, sans PluginData folder. Thank you so much for your help @HebaruSan!

The only issue of not storing them in the PluginData folder is that KSP will have to reload them into the cached data upon every load. For mods like GPP with a mass load of new hires textures this could add significant load time to an already long load time. It's worth testing the effect of this load time difference.

Edited by Poodmund

2 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

The only issue of not storing them in the PluginData folder is that KSP will have to reload them into the cached data upon every load. For mods like GPP with a mass load of new hires textures this could add significant load time to an already long load time. It's worth testing the effect of this load time difference.

Well i have already pushed the changes to github if you want to test it out. the difference was minimal to me. GPP shouldn't load much slower than RSS

Edited by Galileo

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.