KSP Weekly: A Titan’s flyby and making history!

SQUAD

6 minutes ago, passinglurker said:

This makes no sense (and I don't remember it happening >.>...) an upgrade system is exactly what we need to overhaul and the game's balance without breaking old crafts on load (not that people can't make new ones though. Really what's the big deal with these supposed rioting people?)

I think it had to do with craft sharing.

(Though, I'm not sure if I remember it either...)

Edited by klgraham1013

Just now, passinglurker said:

and how would that be a problem with an upgrade system? do the upgrades not survive the trip through the internet tubes or something?

I don't know.  Internet anger?  Honestly, as I edited, I'm not sure if I remember it happening either.

everything is a lie

3 hours ago, regex said:

Vostok looks good, nice to see some specularity and subtler shading. Might just be the colors... vOv

That pic does not do it justice - it has a combination of shading as well as a specular map to make the hex pattern really shimmer as it rotates and moves, without being overpowering.

3 hours ago, CoreI said:

Judging judging by the relative size of those RCS thrusters, I'm guessing that the Vostok fits onto a 1.25 meter stack, correct?

Also, is that small black cylinder on the top right of the pod part of the capsule or a different part I never use?

Overal, good stuff! I'm glad to see development moving along at a nice pace. Can't wait for Asteroid Day to be integrated.

Correct, it is a 1.25m stack with a built in decoupler.  The black cylinder is part of the umbilical (and left behind once you decouple).

5 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

From KSP 1.2.0 stock code has supported part upgrades (although no stock parts use it, some mods do).

MOLE uses the part upgrade system extensively and it is much appreciated. I used to have to maintain a custom upgrade system before the stock game introduced the upgrade system. The upcoming changes sound great. :)

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:
This Vostok model includes a blend of existing as well as new parts. 

Seeing the Mk16 on the Vostok makes me curious if there plans to produce Vostok specific parachutes and antennae?  I also wonder about the 3 parachutes on the eventual Apollo Command Module (if we are getting one) and whether they'll be tucked under that jettisonable cap, or whether we'll be putting 3 of the Mk-2R radial chutes on the side of the standard Mk1-2 like we do now.

8 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The artists on the other hand continue modeling IVAs and this week they also finished up our new Vostok model, as well as wrapping up a few last details on the model for our first American engine. This Vostok model includes a blend of existing as well as new parts.  And since folks will ask - those are separate 0.38m monopropellant tanks you see attached at the base of our Vostok 1 replica!

Looks good! Is that parachute surface-attached or does the capsule have a node on top?

Looks great, though I know it's a Vostok replica, I can think of so many uses. sci-if escape pod, mothership front like a mini discovery one... this is going to become one of my favourite parts. Any chance of a 1.875 or 2.5m hollow fuselage to make oversized bearings with?

Dare I say it, that Vostok looks cute.  I want one for sure.  I especially enjoy the challenges of the early game, and I'm getting more excited about this DLC as it looks like it's going to fit in with that.  Then if we can in a not to distant future release get the graphics updated to a more modern level (options for setting better and higher density scenery, options for setting more detailed terrain and improved water textures) as visuals are very important too (otherwise we'd be playing 2D lunar lander like on a TRS-80) I'll be a very happy little kerbonaut indeed.

Edited by kBob

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

MOLE uses the part upgrade system extensively and it is much appreciated. I used to have to maintain a custom upgrade system before the stock game introduced the upgrade system. The upcoming changes sound great. :)

You will be pleased with the enhancements and fixes I hope. It is in the latest build prerelease that went out earlier today. (Build 1764)

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I can neither confirm, nor deny that. Sorry.

And here is the hype Train :D

Let the big conspiracy seeking begin:wink:

If somebody drops such a commentary the Community begin to search for evidance what will come...

Nah we wait, we look and read and we let SQUAD surprise us what will come. 

Thanks for update and goodspeed for the team.

Urses

Edited by Urses

3 hours ago, rudi1291 said:

Looks good! Is that parachute surface-attached or does the capsule have a node on top?

I guess this is part of the reason Kerbals have built-in parachutes in the new pack.

Also do we have to manually eject ourselves at 7000m and will it be a staged item. I hear the landing can be a bit rough .

17 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

I guess this is part of the reason Kerbals have built-in parachutes in the new pack.

Also do we have to manually eject ourselves at 7000m and will it be a staged item. I hear the landing can be a bit rough .

Interesting post which raises another question, if you have to bail the pod in the atmosphere like IRL, how would KSP handle this? The way it is now you'll either lose the Kerbal, or the Pod when you 'recover vessel'

2 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Looks great, though I know it's a Vostok replica, I can think of so many uses. sci-if escape pod, mothership front like a mini discovery one... 

Deep sea diving bell!  I seriously plan on using it for one... just because  :D

3 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Interesting post which raises another question, if you have to bail the pod in the atmosphere like IRL, how would KSP handle this? The way it is now you'll either lose the Kerbal, or the Pod when you 'recover vessel'

In what way? Any landed vessels don't get de-spawned. If you have to bail, wait for both to hit the ground before recovering. The only way I can see this being a problem is if the part gets labeled as "Debris" and the player has the "Debris" Options setting at zero. Otherwise, the main concern is physics range in atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

In what way? Any landed vessels don't get de-spawned. If you have to bail, wait for both to hit the ground before recovering. The only way I can see this being a problem is if the part gets labeled as "Debris" and the player has the "Debris" Options setting at zero. Otherwise, the main concern is physics range in atmosphere.

Ah!  The 'landed' bit might answer it for my test a few weeks ago. I tried an escape system which lauched multiple 1 man capsules from LKO at the same time. But every time I recovered the first capsule while the rest was 'splashed down', they go out phisics range and I see them go KIA one by one before I get time to 'fly' them from the tracking station.

21 minutes ago, LoSBoL said:

Ah!  The 'landed' bit might answer it for my test a few weeks ago. I tried an escape system which lauched multiple 1 man capsules from LKO at the same time. But every time I recovered the first capsule while the rest was 'splashed down', they go out phisics range and I see them go KIA one by one before I get time to 'fly' them from the tracking station.

Odd. I had crashed vessels in water before that broke up. In a recent case, the crew pod survived, so I recovered (would've reverted, but KSP had crashed on me prior while in space, so I had to continued from the auto-save.) The debris was still there, floating around. I had to manually recover them from the tracking station. I'm thinking you other pods haven't truly "settled" on/in the water. Dunno, though. If you wish to continue the discussion, you should probably take this to the gameplay sub-forum at this point.

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

*opinion* The intelligent people on Earth interested in physics already have an understanding of English. What do you think they teach at universities in China.
<snip>

/*opinion*

I'd say that there's a lot of intelligent people on earth interested in physics that don't have any interest in learning english nor have neither wish nor possibility to attend any form of higher education in any language.

But many of those people would still love to play a game like KSP.

Edited by Curveball Anders
Doh!

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Correct, it is a 1.25m stack with a built in decoupler.  The black cylinder is part of the umbilical (and left behind once you decouple).

So the module and service unit are separate parts? Is the umbilical part of the service unit? If so can you make it toggleable, like the shroud ladders are?

I'm already getting ideas for that service unit, ones that don't necessarily fit well with that umbilical.

2 minutes ago, monophonic said:

So the module and service unit are separate parts? Is the umbilical part of the service unit? If so can you make it toggleable, like the shroud ladders are?

I'm already getting ideas for that service unit, ones that don't necessarily fit well with that umbilical.

It's not much different than an engine shroud - i.e. just a bit of visual fluff on the module :)  I was figuring out how to make a Vostok look like a vostok both when attached to the rest of the vessel, but also when detached and performing reentry, given the constraints we have in modeling KSP parts.  The bit in question attached to the Vostok is just the umbilical and a small adapter around the base that you see the monoprop bits attached to.  The slanted bits are just fuel tank adapters.

Vostok 1 Photograph - Vostok 1 Capsule Separation, Artwork by Detlev ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.