How To Have Submarines Work Correctly On KSP.

Idk about you any of but general consensus usually means majority opinion and as someone who's part of the majority I honestly don't care that much about submarines or locomotives. Ya know, KSP stands for Kerbal Space Program and that would mean the game was focused on doing what a space program would do. Now I'm not a scientist or anything but if people bought this game so they could specifically create submarines and locomotives then the devs marketing team must be awful at their jobs.

I wouldn't mind a stock ballast part but I would never use it since submarines are fine and dandy but have absolutely no purpose aside from being cool to fiddle with for an hour til you get bored of an ocean full of nothingness. The submarine and locomotive sections of a space program are arguably up to modders to undertake and perfect and it's possible for the game's engine to be able to support such a submarine mechanic but again, this is Kerbal Space Program and submarines aren't the draw in for people who want to go into space.

Arguably Squad could just make an expansion for KSP that adds parts, experiments and contracts for the oceans but I don't think that would sell as well as something that, for example; adds planets, general parts and additions to already fleshed out mechanics.

I think I know how to fix buoyancy.  I'm not the guy who can code the game, but I have an idea:

Add a new resource such as planetliquid that is in the "waters" of every planet.  Add a part that can harvest this resource.(pretty much a little tube)  Add a ballast tank that can store and jettison similar to ore tanks.  It can probably work because I've seen other mods add ore before it was a thing.

Thanks, GKSP

On 4/23/2017 at 8:51 AM, Overland said:

Electric :) and since its surrounded by water, we shall make the generator run off "air" which is infact water.. which.. is hydrogen/oxygen ala hydrogen fuel cell

or basicly.. yeah. electric :D 

now to.. find a way how to make the configuration file know its not in water.. I'm sure its possible as some of the boat mods propellers only work in water and do nothing on land or in space

On 4/23/2017 at 8:55 AM, Azimech said:

That's new to me. Did you code something, @SpannerMonkey(smce)?

On 4/23/2017 at 0:07 PM, qzgy said:

Suggestion for making the engines work underwater - Make the altitude cutoff at sea level? IDK if this would work, but it imposes a form of an altitude limit as "everything below sea level"

15 hours ago, GKSP said:

I think I know how to fix buoyancy.  I'm not the guy who can code the game, but I have an idea:

Add a new resource such as planetliquid that is in the "waters" of every planet.  Add a part that can harvest this resource.(pretty much a little tube)  Add a ballast tank that can store and jettison similar to ore tanks.  It can probably work because I've seen other mods add ore before it was a thing.

Thanks, GKSP

If you want something to work only in an ocean and fail when out of it, set IntakeLqd as a propellant, and rig an intake to receive IntakeLqd. No need to invent a resource or get dirty with an engine's floatCurves.

IntakeLqd requires Community Resource Pack.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:05 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

If you want something to work only in an ocean and fail when out of it, set IntakeLqd as a propellant, and rig an intake to receive IntakeLqd. No need to invent a resource or get dirty with an engine's floatCurves.

IntakeLqd requires Community Resource Pack.

awesome.  so i could copypasta an intake, make its colors different(so i can tell it apart from normal intakes), and make it able to use the new resource; do same with an ore tank!  Ill see if I can try that soon.  Maybe on Saturday.

Edited by GKSP
Clarifying things

3 hours ago, GKSP said:

awesome.  so i could copypasta an intake, make its colors different(so i can tell it apart from normal intakes), and make it able to use the new resource; do same with an ore tank!  Ill see if I can try that soon.  Maybe on Saturday.

That's right. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.