How much delta V is required to get back from the Munar surface?

I am trying to design a disposable probe that can land on the Mun. It will have a bunch of science experiments that I don't want to haul back, so I am designing a tiny ascent stage to get back to Kerbin.

This is the basic idea

zevWO1k.png

The service bay will hold all of the experiments

Edited by Cadet_BNSF
Clarifying question

The return probe can be further optimised a bit (heatshield,  battery,  decoupler, drogue are convenient but not really necessary ; OX-STAT can provide enough electricity)  but is already capable enough.  

Also,  for a craft so small,  just a bit of fuel will give lots of deltaV. 

I was messing with the same concept a while ago. The difference though was that I used a Mun hopper craft with a scientist to reset the experiments, who got abandoned on the Mun. The science return craft was pretty much like yours. 

Couple of things to watch for with your craft:

Those sticky-out bits are likely to cause a lot of heat during re-entry. 

The octo probe core sticks out from that size heatshield and, again, you may get over-heating issues. 

The one chute will do it without a drogue too.

Here's the last Ant-powered iteration I was using. It has a PB-NUK clipped inside:

Z4Z7t7c.png?1  

L0psDAZ.png?1

Edited by Foxster

I agree with Spricigo -- if you want to optimize, then forget the second stage separator, the drogue chute, and the heatshield. Even with an engine attached, it will come into Kerbin nose-first. And it will slow down very fast all by itself, and probably won't have a single heating issue because it will be so light and will slow down so fast. And yes, I figure about 850 deltaV to return from the Mun, as IncongruousGoat said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.