I'm going to DisneyLand! (so much for Vandenberg)

StrandedonEarth

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Thanks for the options guys. I certainly have a good list of eateries to choose from now. My wife is looking forward to Goofy's Kitchen for some reason. 

I see that the Iridium launch from Vandy has been slotted in for late June, so that's off the table now. But I am still wondering if it would have been visible from a decent vantage point near MickeyMouseLand. I assume it would just be a streak on the horizon, not even audible (especially over the noise of Disney)

I honestly don't ever remember seeing a launch from Vandenburg from my house in North LA County where I grew up. My wife never remembers seeing one from her house in Orange County either. I don't think that was ever an option, sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

D-MINUS ONE WEEKS AND COUNTING! The HypeShuttle-DL is in the processing facility awaiting installation of the baggage module. The electronics package (featuring a DSLR camera upgraded to zoom-zoom; awesome timing for the Cannon sale at Best Buy) has been integrated into the new baggage modules, which have already been loaded with new garments. The Hype Capacitors are absorbing the excess hype from the Hype reactors, which are spinning towards overload as the Parental Control Units are also spewing Hype.

Going to Disney can be an interesting experience for the geeky. I had street face actors on Main Street in Disney world dropping character to tell me how much they loved the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" shirt I had on.

Going to Disneyland, on the other hand, was weird for me in general because I felt like I was on display. The half my wardrobe that isn't made up of geeky shirts is made up of "New York Mets" shirts, plus I almost always have a Mets cap on. The folks were all acting like they'd never seen a New Yorker before. 

30 minutes ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

Going to Disney can be an interesting experience for the geeky. I had street face actors on Main Street in Disney world dropping character to tell me how much they loved the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" shirt I had on.

Going to Disneyland, on the other hand, was weird for me in general because I felt like I was on display. The half my wardrobe that isn't made up of geeky shirts is made up of "New York Mets" shirts, plus I almost always have a Mets cap on. The folks were all acting like they'd never seen a New Yorker before. 

I'm almost positive that somewhere in the boxes and boxes of 8mm films in my mom's closet there is one that my dad took sitting in the front of the Disneyland monorail, just like that. Except that it was back in the 1970s, when there was no DCA or Downtown Disney, it was just Disneyland and the hotel. I really need to get those digitized.

Well, our Disney trip is at a close, currently waiting for our flight at JWA. Had a blast, worth every penny even with the dreadful exchange rate. Thanks for all the restaurant suggestions, although I don't think we managed to go to any of them. The Rainforest Cafe was excellent, had IHOP, Captain Kidds Pirate Buffet, Goofy's Kitchen was a great (if pricey) breakfast buffet this morning. Ordered pizza Wednesday night and ate the leftovers last night after finally getting back from Universal. After cruising the Hollywood strip we ended up at Jack-In-The-Box (don't have that back home)

i had a blast on all tthe rides I went on, which was most of them except the kiddy rides in Fantasyland. I was even able to drag my wife onto some of them, and she's not a rider. Got lots of autographs too

Ive got a lot more to say but I'm on mobile. I'll post a lot more, and a photo (took well over a thousand of them, gotta love the digital age) album when I get home and get my laptop back. It's in the shop getting the cooling overhauled while I'm gone; it was getting to where I could fry eggs on it. 

Travel tip based on what Stranded mentioned;

If your primary destination in Southern California is Disneyland, your best bet is to fly in and out of Orange County's John Wayne Airport.

...I made the mistake of using Long Beach. Before it was rebuilt. There was one baggage claim carousel and it was OUTSIDE.  Felt like I was on that old TV show "Wings"

6 minutes ago, KamenRiderzero1 said:

If your primary destination in Southern California is Disneyland, your best bet is to fly in and out of Orange County's John Wayne Airport.

My main beef with JWA is that there's no duty-free shop. Didn't expect that. So we had to forgo bringing home cheap booze 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.