Can an upgrade add a new module?

I wanted to have a part which did multiple science experiments (using stock experiments), but didn't want those experiments available in this part until they were available in the stock tree.

Roverdude let me use one of his models so I now have 4 science parts.  Actually a better solution in this case.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I wanted to have a part which did multiple science experiments (using stock experiments), but didn't want those experiments available in this part until they were available in the stock tree.

Could you expand on this? Have you managed to make it so that, for instance, if a basic science lab thing was on Mun it could do maybe 2 experiments out of the box. Then you upgrade the tech tree and unlike two new science parts. This then makes those science parts experiment's available to the Lab already on Mun to do those new experiments (total experiments now = 4)? 

3 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

Could you expand on this? Have you managed to make it so that, for instance, if a basic science lab thing was on Mun it could do maybe 2 experiments out of the box. Then you upgrade the tech tree and unlike two new science parts. This then makes those science parts experiment's available to the Lab already on Mun to do those new experiments (total experiments now = 4)? 

This was for the Kurrikane, which I released.

My original idea was to have the original probe, and then, as more science researched, to add more capabilities to the probe itself.  This had a problem in that the right-click menu got too big when all the science was there.

I went a different route and created 4 new science parts, using @roverdude's model of the science package for his Sounding Rockets mod (with permission).  Then I added attach nodes in appropriate spots on the Kurrikane, so now those parts become available rather than having to play around with code and adding modules on the fly.

7 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

So, in simplest form, the part starts with (newly added in the config) science experiments which yield nothing, then as they get upgraded the science experiments (stock, with stock values) are added?

Exactly :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.