Solved: Why does my rocket not liftoff?

Ellegon

Hi all,

I'm very new to the game and still learning. I recently watched a 5 hour learning video from dasvaldez called "Kerbal Space Academy" and tried to re-create the rocket to land on the moon. However, even when I'm taking the exact same parts he is and build it (more or less) the same way, my rocket just stands on the platform and does not lift off.

What I don't get is, that I have a TWR of 1.35 when I'm in the Vehicle Assembly (in atmospheric, based on Kerbal Engineer). When I put it on the platform and start, Engineer shows me only 0.67 TWR (which would explain why it's not starting). But why am I losing so much TWR? And why was it working for Das? Was there a major update that may have screwed the design. What TWR do I have to have in VAB to have enough on the platform?

My Booster section mainly consists of FL-T800's and LV-T45 engines.

I have uploaded it to KerbalX if someone would be kind enough to take a look at it and tell me where I goofed. I really want to learn what I'm doing wrong: Mun Lander Mk 1

Thanks a lot in advance for any tipps.

Edit: Set to "solved".

Edited by Ellegon

Just now, Ellegon said:

I'm sorry to have wasted your time... I will go in my corner and cry now....

No time is wasted when you learned something!

When you're done crying, come back. We'd love to see you again here soon!

You must wait until you staged the parachute together with the main engine before you can get the KSP Badge. I wear mine with pride, together with the Mount Decoupler The Wrong Way Medal.

20 minutes ago, LN400 said:

You must wait until you staged the parachute together with the main engine before you can get the KSP Badge. I wear mine with pride, together with the Mount Decoupler The Wrong Way Medal.

Don't forget the "forgot to deploy the solar panels and ran out of power" merit badge :D

-Slashy

25 minutes ago, LN400 said:

4 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Don't forget the "forgot to deploy the solar panels and ran out of power" merit badge :D

-Slashy

And of course, releasing the launch clamps without starting the engines. We've all done it. *sad trombone*

2 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

-Slashy

Took me a while to find mine underneath the Forget To Deploy Antenna While Using RT ribbon, the Forgot To Remove 2nd Kerbal Before Launching Rescue Mission badge and Did Not Readjust Throttle Cap For Safe Landing medal with diamonds.

Hey, @Ellegon, I know you're problem's already solved, but just as an FYI, in the settings you can change the default takeoff thrust if you want. You should give it a look at least. There might be some other things you'll wanna change. Like moving the navball if it keeps getting in your during landings (I default navball open on the map screen like it was before 1.2). I'd also recommend advanced tweakables. It gives you a bit more control with more options in your PAW's.

P.S. for the rest of you, when you fly for three years to land on another world with drills but no ore tanks, then you can officially join the ranks of the stupid.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

37 minutes ago, LN400 said:

16 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

-Slashy

11 minutes ago, HvP said:

And of course, releasing the launch clamps without starting the engines. We've all done it. *sad trombone*

In addition to these, I also have the "Jet-powered Craft with No Intakes" certificate of achievement.

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

In addition to these, I also have the "Jet-powered Craft with No Intakes" certificate of achievement.

I still haven't learned my lesson on that one. Gets me almost once every game session. In fact, just today I went into the game specifically to test a jet engine setup and *throttle, ptshhh, dud, face-palm*.

4 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Then there is the "Jebediah, get the heck out of my unmanned rescue craft!" achievement.

8 hours ago, LN400 said:

I did that on my very first launch, back on 0.25

12 hours ago, LN400 said:

You must wait until you staged the parachute together with the main engine before you can get the KSP Badge

I wonder what percentage of players do this with their first rocket in career mode.  Pretty sure I did it my first time and probably at least a quarter of the time, I STILL do it when starting a new career.

Did this just become a thread of "What is the worst blunder you have achieved?"   ...?:D

Ok how about "Learn to do test runs on launchpad" medal...
Build a little RCS space tug-boat craft that klaws onto bigger ship and moves them to the space station. Add lots of RCS fuel (Monopropellent) and lots of RCS thruster blocks... Vernors are stronger, let's use them. Some time later after rendezvous, this thing doesn't budge one bit because Vernors use LFO rocket fuel, not the MonoProp that RCS blocks use

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:48 AM, Vanamonde said:

Beginning descent. Deploy chutes. Chutes destroyed by heat and wind forces. Impact crater. 

Just be glad they changed parachutes so this ^ no longer occurs. 

Even the devs fell to that one:  I recall a Squadcast (link to 5thHorseman's summary) where Max had an absolutely terrible Mun landing Minmus landing orbit flyby come in too hot, somehow managed not to burn up on Kerbin reentry ... and blew his parachutes too soon.  Max's quote is priceless.  Of course, Max usually played terribly, but it was also usually fun to watch, and he took it in good humour.

In that particular Squadcast, Max also forgot to turn his throttle up all the way ... so he added six more engines, instead.  I hope it's archived somewhere; that one really was a gem.

Edited by Zhetaan

2 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Did this just become a thread of "What is the worst blunder you have achieved?"   ...?:D

Pretty much. 

I will add to the list:

The Other Prograde Badge 

Monopropelant Is Out Of Thrusters Badge 

Thanks all for making my day :) I see there is still a lot of "doh!" moments I can achieve.

As an update... I ALMOST made it to the moon... :) Well, I reached orbit in a totally excrementsty elipse, reached the moon anyway but couldn't get it to a moon orbit :)

But, I see it as a learning process and my next try will hopefully be better. I'm mostly playing with my kids watching so I can't put in too many hours anyway. And I don't want to finally land on Mun without them being present :)

Oh and thanks Cpt Kerbalkrunch for the tip with the settings. Will definitely look into it.

Edited by Ellegon
Forgot to thank Cpt Kerbalkrunch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.