not enough space to build in SPH and VAB

After trying out mods theres just not enough space to build in SPH. Using tweakscale i can only fit the 2 of the largest fuel tank and a mammoth engine before i run out of space using 20m scale. My intention is to build viable combat capital ships using as few mods as possible while keeping everything as lagless as possible and with some added realism (like life support). I need to be able to fit big parts to reduce the number of parts in total. I've seen videos of building being done outside of the SPH/VAB so how can this be done using tweakscale at the same time?

Using structural panels, if i placed a structural panel over a part of the ship, does it protect it during reentry if it is not attached to the panel? For example having a rover hanging from a panel acting as a ceiling but with panels infront part of the main craft that has some distance from the rover but with the rover visually covered from the outside using structural panels.

I personally can't even conceive of a vessel that would be impossibly large for either building, but I'm always glad to see there are a few "whackjobs" out there that defy my expectations.

2 hours ago, System Error Message said:

One of the things i built in stock KSP, does all the work but has almost 700 parts

BC19B8CB47628CD5E36366046425E4BC45B870F6

So tweakscale would help to significantly reduce the number of parts and give better fps.

is that even necessary? It seems overkill.

54 minutes ago, qzgy said:

is that even necessary? It seems overkill.

Some people build big, some people build efficiently, some people build tiny, some people liberally slap panels all over the place, etc... Just because you can't conceive of a reason doesn't mean it isn't valid (or necessary!) for someone else.

Just now, regex said:

Some people build big, some people build efficiently, some people build tiny, some people liberally slap panels all over the place, etc... Just because you can't conceive of a reason doesn't mean it isn't valid (or necessary!) for someone else.

Good point.

Besides, let's face it: the kerbalness of a design is given by the equation:

Ker=sqrt(m*A)*e*E

Where m is the mass

A is the acceleration ASL

e is the number of things that can explode

E is the number of things that actually explode during normal behavior

Therefore mass counts.

2 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Besides, let's face it: the kerbalness of a design is given by the equation:

Ker=sqrt(m*A)*e*E

Where m is the mass

A is the acceleration ASL

e is the number of things that can explode

E is the number of things that actually explode during normal behavior

Therefore mass counts.

Soooooooooo... the unit of Ker is the square root of Force? 

Spoiler

Ker=sqrt(m*A)*e*E

Ker=sqrt([kg]*[m*s²])*[-]*[-] =sqrt([kg]*[m*s²]) = sqrt([N])

1 minute ago, Magzimum said:

Soooooooooo... the unit of Ker is the square root of Force? 

Hide contents

Ker=sqrt(m*A)*e*E

Ker=sqrt([kg]*[m*s²])*[-]*[-] =sqrt([kg]*[m*s²]) = sqrt([N])

That's right, its unit is the Krewton. But it's sometimes converted into Krakenforce,for the sake of convenience.

9 hours ago, Tex said:

I personally can't even conceive of a vessel that would be impossibly large for either building, but I'm always glad to see there are a few "whackjobs" out there that defy my expectations.

It's relatively common for my larger boosters in a 6.4x/Real Fuels installation; with propellant (particularly liquid hydrogen) so much less dense than magic LF/Ox, plus expanded dV requirements, stuff gets big in a hurry. It doesn't help that I tend to build overly tall and narrow due to interstage decoupling width tech limits.

Also, to OP, Hangar Extender is what you're looking for. By default, it activates by pressing the keypad *.

21 hours ago, Tex said:

A few versions back I built a 1/4 scale replica of the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa. Which made the replica 216 metres tall, twice the height of the KSP VAB. That wanted Hangar Extender to make.

if only tweakscale could scale all blocks at the same time i could build it small and scale it as necessary. I like building in KSP despite not being skilled enough to do an orbital intercept.

Sure there are vessels very big, You cant resize bdarmory though but building a viable combat capital ship with a hangar with the addition of life support for added realism and difficulty, thats fun. Not to mention you'd have to make it last in combat meaning using more structural blocks as armour. Tweakscale would let me use fewer parts to build it but the hangars just dont have space. I at least want to build something thats both pretty and would work realistically too.

for kerbals, theres no such thing as overkill

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.