I am running an ancient version of KSP

11 minutes ago, Ncog Nito said:

Hello, does KSP search for updates when it is opened on your desktop?

It should give you some indication in the launcher... but that only started happening very recently. You won't have it in 1.0, as that still has the old patcher / updater and it's broken now.

If so does it automatically download updates?

KSP had a real updater, but it seems nobody can be bothered maintaining it... so the answer, as of the current version, is no.*

If not where an I find the updates

In the same place you initially found KSP - the store if you bought direct, GOG if you bought from them.
I doubt there will be a 1.0 -> 1.2.2 patch, so you will probably have to download the whole thing and reinstall.
If you're on MacOS or GNU/Linux there are no patches at all.

*I still think this situation is incredibly lame, and in case it's not obvious, I'm not happy with it at all. Particularly as there are patches for Winblows only. Lazy.

Edited by steve_v

1 minute ago, Ncog Nito said:

Wait...Are you saying you have to buy the updates?

No, you go to the store you bought it in and download the newest version. If you bought it on Steam you have to start the Steam client to update your stuff.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

4 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

you can transfer saves and crafts by copying everything from your old save folder into the new save folder.

Save a copy of those files somewhere else though: not everything might transfer intact.

In addition to what everyone else has said, depending on how well the game imports a 1.0.4 save file, you may want to keep the old version of KSP around for playing the old saves with. Just copy the whole thing to somewhere else before updating and you can have the two installations side by side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.