Have you ever used 0,625m heatshield?

Numerlor

Just started career with research buy in and I'm wondering if it is any use. Only thing that came to my mind is small manned ion probe that wwould need it to survive re-entry

Edited by Numerlor

Yes, I have. It's great for returning science canisters from the Mun and Minmus. Although, technically speaking, the canister can stand up to re-entry. It's the probe core you've got tacked on to it so you can get credit for surface return that's the thing at risk.

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Yes, I have. It's great for returning science canisters from the Mun and Minmus. Although, technically speaking, the canister can stand up to re-entry. It's the probe core you've got tacked on to it so you can get credit for surface return that's the thing at risk.

Couldn't you just stage parachute and let it go?

22 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

depends if you have the game settings set to burn off parachutes during re-entry. If they deploy after re-entry then technically yes, but if release the chutes in space prior to return they'll open during re-entry/mach velocities and that doesn't end well.

Simple answer, yes, but dependent on settings.

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

depends if you have the game settings set to burn off parachutes during re-entry. If they deploy after re-entry then technically yes, but if release the chutes in space prior to return they'll open during re-entry/mach velocities and that doesn't end well.

Simple answer, yes, but dependent on settings.

can't you set them to release at certain pressure?

28 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Yes, but you can still be traveling at mach+ speeds when they deploy but that comes down to flight trajectories and whatnot.

I just tested this with direct trajectory from Mun, even those chutes survived (somehow). It would probably work with mk2-R chutes too, I was afraid they would burn up or something but with that fast aerobraking and that big heat tolerances maybe not.

Sorry for the sound, I forgot to remove it

5 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

This isn't ideal. However, parachutes do have a "deploy when safe" option that guarantees they'll only deploy when at a safe velocity.

Sometimes I get safe while above 20km but below 70 wouldn't that trigger them?

40 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

Sometimes I get safe while above 20km but below 70 wouldn't that trigger them?

They still work based on pressure limits too, so if you want them to only activate close to the ground you can set a high pressure limiter. The "deploy when safe" setting (which is the default for most parachutes) acts essentially as an override so that if you're travelling too fast when you're at a pressure level where your parachute could deploy, it still won't deploy until you slow down.

But that means it is better to just set them to deploy at 0,44 pressure like in video, no? If you're that low any going too fast for chutes it'll be pretty close or not enough

Edited by Numerlor

3 hours ago, Numerlor said:

It's not returning the science that's the concern here. It's that contracts that require you to return a vessel from the surface of the Mun or Minmus require that that vessel be controllable.

But yes, if you're just trying to return the science you can tweak the parachute deploy altitude and let it re-enter. Both the parachute and canister are resilient enough to survive.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

Ultimately the point of the discussion is the heat shield rather than parachutes, and it does have its uses. It's good for small science return missions, and it's also probably quite effective for protecting small outlying parts of a vehicle which aren't covered by the area of a 1.25m shield.

Guys - don't think too hard about the 0.6m heat shield.  I was watching DasValdez streaming KSP late in the 1.2 pre-release period, working with the science canister which had just been introduced.  Making high-velocity science return capsules - like, 8km/s high velocity.  Someone from Squad was in the stream chat (IIRC RoverDude, whose name is in the cfg), said hey do you want a Mk0 heatshield? Then it appeared in the next build.  It's just scaled from existing models so there wasn't any work involved.  

Don't start thinking you're playing the game wrong if you don't see a need for it.

The small heat shield is the first available 0.625m decoupler, it's also the cheapest one, though not the lightest (but if you remove the ablator it is pretty light)

An OKTO2 probe core does fit behind the 0.625m heat shield, so does the 0.625m battery and reaction wheel, so it is just barely possible to make micro-landers for dumping into atmospheres at high speeds (i.e. hyperbolic), actually getting the micro-lander to do anything useful is a bit of a design challenge.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If Laika had one, she would stay alive. :(

Sputnik 2 was launched nearly 60 years ago and that would be a surprising age for a dog. And besides, Laika died in orbit, not during reentry.

.625 heatshield is stock?! I thought it was a modded part!!

I set my pressure for parachutes to .2-.3 and stage them from orbit and I've never had them burn up, even with a pe ~25 from the mun

To answer you question, yes I use it because I like building both tiny and huge and the .625 heatshield is perfect when returning an octosat with all the science goodies and the first parachute(the white one)

I'm considering using one for a contract to bring something from a fly-by of Ike back down to the surface of Kerbin. A small probe core is really all that is required...or even an experiment box, idk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.