Challenge: Safely re-enter then land, or ditch, a vessel with 1 stock item and an external command seat (with a kerbal riding it).

22 hours ago, Swingtyre said:

Challenge: Safely re-enter then land a vessel with 1 stock part and an external command seat (with a kerbal riding it). If either the part or command seat are destroyed, the attempt is a failure.

So the vessel must be exactly 1 stock part + 1 command seat. Both parts must land intact.
Soooo no control (would require SAS or control surfaces), no runway landing (no wheel), no parachute (command seat won't attach to chutes).

The challenge is to drop something in free fall without any mean to control it and pray that it survives... I fail to see the point or the fun in that.

12 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

If you Eva a Kerbal in midair, and it lands foot first on land, it will survive.

...the challenge explicitely states that the parts must land intact. EVA-ing your kerbal won't help.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Ten Meter Inflatable Heatshield.

That's pretty much the only option. And even there there is no guarantee (you won't have any mean to control).
So strap a heatshield on a seat, drop it from space and pray that it land safely. Rinse and repeat until it does...

18 hours ago, wibou7 said:

...the challenge explicitely states that the parts must land intact. EVA-ing your kerbal won't help.

... unless eva-ing lightens up the main ship enough where it can land intact.

On 24.04.2017 at 0:13 AM, Numerlor said:

Have you tested this? I know it can be done with servicebay but you need to be really lucky. Nothing else comes into my mind without chutes

I presume using heatshield as some sort of a round-shaped wing,and after reentering glide down and softly ditch. (better to ditch on kerbal's head,heatshileds are fragile)

Ok, maybe I'm stupid, but I fail to see the challenge?

xZVt1ol.png

0whijLa.png

Km5jam2.png

Its just a Twin Boar, command seat, and Val.

I fuel-cheated to fly it to orbit, then uncheated and landed it.

Could have got it to orbit the hard way, but that didn't seem needed...

I didn't forget it. That's the idea that came to me last night! I would have done that today if MarvinKitFox hadn't done it first.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.