20-40m Heatsheild

So I am building an Interstellar ship that has a micrometeoroid shield (Technically a heatsheild but I can pretend) on the front because it has the Orion drive from USI witch in real life could get up to 3-5% the speed of light where the smallest particles could destroy the spacecraft with it. 

The Ship i'm building is massive and might require a 20-40m heatsheild/micrometeoroid to cover the entire ship. Does anyone know of a 1.2 or 1.2.2 compatable mod that adds something like this?

I'd recommend using the 10m Heat Shield from the Space-Y Expansion. You can either use TweakScale or a better option might be just using the 10m Space-Y Shield files and making a new part with a higher rescaleFactor.

Expanding on what frencrs said - you can copy the cfg file of a heat shield or make a MM patch.

Example of the cfg copy method using Squads inflatable heat shield: Make a copy of the GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\InflatableHeatShield\HeatShield.cfg file - I would copy it to a folder for all my cfg mods like GameData\MyCfgChanges and name the copied cfg to something like BigHeatShield.cfg
Then in a text editor, If in windows Notepad works fine, edit the following lines
    name = InflatableHeatShield // <- Rename to something unique      ex: name = StarSlinger999BigInflatableHeatShield  // Putting Starslinger999 in front makes it unlikely anyone else will have an identically named part
    rescaleFactor = 1 // <- Change this to desired size                         ex: rescaleFactor = 4

That will get you a big heat shield but you might want to adjust the mass, cost and node sizes with these lines (optional)
    mass = 1.5
    cost = 2400
    node_stack_mid = 0.0, 0.34, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1 // <- Change last number to increase node size for this line and the other two node_stack_bottom and top

A MM patch is also an option - will require a bit of learning and experimentation on your part but is very powerful. The following is untested and almost guaranteed wrong but would go something like this:
@PART[InflatableHeatShield]
{
    @name = StarSlinger999BigInflatableHeatShield
    @rescaleFactor = 4
    @node_stack_mid = 0.0, 0.34, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4
    @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 1.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 5
    @node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.9, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 5
    @cost = 19500
    @mass = 12
{

Just be warned that once you start modifying parts you'll find yourself doing it more and more - eventually you'll realize you're spending all your time modding instead of playing the game!.

Edited by wasml
remove double spacing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.