What's your biggest save file?

Ultimate Steve

In term of file size, please.

I got curious a few seconds ago, because I was trying to open the quickload menu in my "Project Intrepid" save. It took a about a whole minute. I checked the file size, and the entire "Project Intrepid" folder is 325MB. That's almost a third of a gigabyte.

What's yours?

6 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Only about 188/189 MB. Though I do have way too many craft, KSP likes to "stop responding" when opening the craft browser.

Wow, that must be a ton of craft!

My KSP likes to "Stop Responding" when I load quicksaves. It was a whole lot worse with my old install, though. Back in 1.1 I had over 110 quicklaods, with 50+ craft, about a dozen being huge ones, in each.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wow, that must be a ton of craft!

Apparently 357 in just the Spaceplane hangar. Sucks when I need to find something (a search bar for that would be nice...)

Just now, qzgy said:

Apparently 357 in just the Spaceplane hangar. Sucks when I need to find something (a search bar for that would be nice...)

You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.

357?!?!? Wow, I think the only time I've come close to that is when I had a bunch of Ion plane test craft together in the same save as my spaceplanes.

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

357?!?!? Wow, I think the only time I've come close to that is when I had a bunch of Ion plane test craft together in the same save as my spaceplanes.

Tbh, I bet that about half of them are actually just slightly different iterations of each other. But I do like building in the SPH.

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ du -sh saves
948M    saves
steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ find ./saves/ -iname '*.sfs' | wc -l
steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ find ./saves/ -iname '*.craft' | wc -l

Which makes a good case for my suggestion (elsewhere) of save compression:

steve@perdition:~/Games/KSP_linux$ du -sh saves*
948M    saves
82M     saves.tar.gz

Edited by steve_v

My original speedrun was 477MB almost entirely in the 336 quicksaves made on that single long night.   Besides that, I normally manage to keep my files under 200MB by making a new file about once a month. I may happen to have over a hundred save files, but that's another story :) .

Another interesting aspect is how large your persistent file gets. Project Babylon Reboot has a shared save with a 7.5MB persistent- It's not an insane value yet, but we'll get there!

• 1 month later...

Well, my entire save folder is 849 MB, with each recent .sfs hitting 16 MB.

What's probably inflating things are the sheer number of mods that are adding modules and resources to my craft. TAC life support? Food, water, and oxygen for each command pod, plus however it tracks how long it's been since the vessel was updated. FAR? Adds an aero module to each part (though that's possibly regenerated in flight). RealFuels? The tanks get more complicated, the engines need to keep track of remaining ignitions and what configuration they're using.

There's also a bunch of KAC backup saves, so there's a lot of 16 MB .sfs files hanging around.

At least they compress really well, being particularly repetitive text files.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.