Fairing is invulnerable - is this a bug or a feature?

While testing a pseudo-aerostat, discovered that fairing has basically infinite impact tolerance. It won't break apart as long as the base part won't.

I think this means that one can cheat with fairings and abuse them as landing strut / splashing buoy or rover cover, as it is the lightest part with that kind of tolerance.

Edited by Reusables

I noticed too that they are pretty robust.

I made a craft that had fairings for landing legs and even dropped from a great height it would just bounce. 

I'm not sure though just how OP this is though, it has limited real applications. 

Well, I don't care about it, because I'll abus- :sealed::rolleyes: -e it. :cool:

I'll apply this to a robust rover. Maybe it could work well as rover wheel!

(+ tried lithobraking, fairing does survive 200m/s but the other parts often get ripped apart by the stress. Maybe it would work well with spaceplane parts which have high impact tolerance)

Edited by Reusables

3 hours ago, Physics Student said:

I wonder If we can exploit this to land on Jool?

You can land on Jool just fine, except for the last meter. In reality, there is a liquid hydrogen "sea" surface on just about any gas giant. And it was originally intended that you could land on Jool -- there's an entire set of experiment comments all written for that state. But there is currently no collider at "sea level" so you sink right through and get auto-destroyed at -250m altitude. But some of the devs are pretty set against the concept, so it probably won't happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.