Defense Network challenge.

Since I don't have BDA access, you gotta give a video showing how it works.

Message from "Military"

Create a defense system to defend the KSC from all modern threats. You may use any weapon from BDA, but you may not use indestructable parts.

Scoring

- Effectiveness: 20 credits

- Reliability: 10 credits

- Simplicity: 50 credits

- Aegis style (high offensive efficiency and strong network mesh): 150 credits

- Defensive structure lost: -10 credits

- KSC building lost: -25 credits

- Waves finished: 10 and +5 credits per wave

Winner is the defense that stands the strongest. You may want to try and get Beardy Penguin or TAPE Gaming to attack it, but you can too.

This is the Military speaking, and peace.

11 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

-snip-

I'm actually working on something simular, I love the "Fall of Kerbin" series.

Even started a fan thread today:

I am now working on a KSC defence system, but it will take some time.

O6WEd0W.png

I'll be back...

p.s. prepare for comments like "are mods allowed"....

...are they ? ^_^

Edited by Triop

38 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Are those turrets just from normal BDarmory?

Yep, currently playing v1.2.2.1622 stock + BDarmory only.

4 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

Unfortunately, I have been having major issues getting my defenses to actually work or, for that matter, getting anything to attack them either. If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated

I'd like to help but need more info, does it have a weapons manager ? Did you set it to team A/B etc etc....

29 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

Unfortunately, I have been having major issues getting my defenses to actually work or, for that matter, getting anything to attack them either. If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated

I recommend taking a look at the in game BDPedia (KSPedia) ... it contains a wealth of information on the operation of BDAc 

It's an instruction manual that covers pretty much everything up until the latest releases (I have yet to add more entries) ... the only things missing is the procedural missiles (instructions link can be found in the release notes spoiler in the OP of our thread below) and the Pitch Ki slider (Pitch Ki is a PID controller ... google it :wink:)

As for how to use BDAc, well it's all in there ... open KSPedia in game and take a look, you'll be a BDAc master user in no time

Edited by DoctorDavinci

7 hours ago, MostExcellent said:

Thanks! I hadn't downloaded the extra modules to make bdarmory work properly.

You dont need to download anything extra unless you intend to use JR's procedural missiles which you will need procedural parts and JR's missile parts pack ... everything else is included in the BDAc v0.2.1.0 download

Edited by DoctorDavinci

12 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

Vessel switcher, physics range extender?

Physics Range Extender is bundled with BDAc. As for vessel mover, the link can be found in the OP of our thread (in the second last spoiler at the bottom of the post)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

5 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

Not vessel mover, vessel switcher.

Vessel switcher has been integrated into BDAc as of v0.2.0.0 ... no need to download it as a seperate mod anymore

Please read the release notes spoiler in the OP of our thread

If you have further questions feel free to contact the team in our thread ... We shouldn't fill up this challenge thread with support questions :)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Why not make this some kind of tournament? My idea is setting up a defense made of 5 modules (With weapon and equipment limits) and putting it up as "KOTH". The others have to destroy it, and the one who succeeds has to post a video recording of it and design his own defense system in a 2 day margin. Then, rinse and repeat.

Ok, here's my fully fleshed out idea.

Weapon limits: 16 of any weapon per craft, no more than 5 guns: 2 main guns and three smaller turrets or coaxial weapons. Since this is a tactical scale challenge, planes with a load bigger than 10 tons and any other strategic weapons (indirect fire, cruise/ICB missiles, etc) are banned.

OP builds a KSP defense system made of 5 modules. We all try to destroy it with three waves of vehicles. Planes must be positioned 50 km away from the KSC, and any other vehicles 5 km away to simulate combat deployment. Planes can be used to airdrop weapons/supplies/kerbals at any time. Before the challenge, all defense modules are set to guard mode and same BDA settings as the defender chose.

The goal is to have a Kerbal plant a flag ontop of the VAB. If it's destroyed, the attacker suffers a penalty for damaging useful structures and must plant a flag on the flagpole place. If all three vehicles are put out of combat (Cannot get into combat range of an enemy, so either crash landed, or immobilized 2 km or more away from a module), the attacker loses. If he succeeds, he must publish proof in the form of a video. Victory can only be achieved if all defenses are put out of combat (Cannot fire at the kerbal who planted the flag, and crew cannot get out without being shot by an attacking vehicle or are dead).

The winner gets three days to build his own defense system, and shares the permanent file for us to repeat.

What do you think?

Edited by NotAnAimbot

My only worry is that planting on the VAB requires some sort of VTOL craft, but that can be a part of it. We also should have some restrictions on the waves of attackers to prevent spam. And why can't cruise missiles be used since they can (in theory) be defended against? I will post my quick and dirty defense system as soon as I get home, as a starting point.

36 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

My only worry is that planting on the VAB requires some sort of VTOL craft

iirc the admin building can be climbed by foot with its staircase, so you could use that as an alternative. Choosing the VAB was done because it's in the center of KSC, so requires driving/walking past all the defenses to get to, exposing the kerbal/vehicle to any remaining modules. Planting it at the Mk1 cockpit monument would work too, or at the VAB's door.

36 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

And why can't cruise missiles be used

You can just use a single one iirc to blow off any building, so rip any defense sitting ontop the VAB. It would also be a counter against strapping some giant bombs on an ICBM and blowing up the entire KSC in a single strike while completely disregarding defenses. Pic related is what my HOB-5000 (About 4.8 tons of small explosive warheads) can do to the research center, so imagine two of them launched by a cruise missile. Plus, cruise missiles coming in at 1000 m/s are more difficult to counter, and that speed can easily be achieved with a stock ramjet missile.

Just to clarify, TOWs, Marvericks and AGM-88s don't count as cruise.

w6g20CI.png

Edited by NotAnAimbot

3 hours ago, MostExcellent said:

My only worry is that planting on the VAB requires some sort of VTOL craft, but that can be a part of it. We also should have some restrictions on the waves of attackers to prevent spam. And why can't cruise missiles be used since they can (in theory) be defended against? I will post my quick and dirty defense system as soon as I get home, as a starting point.

The vab has a set of stairs that allow you to climb it

Alright, let's start out with easy mode and improve the defense from here. I just threw together some surprisingly durable defenses and it works reasonably enough at least against aircraft.

I'm thinking adding aircraft would fix any problems, including anti-ground capabilities.

Have fun testing, and I would gladly welcome comments/criticism/advice.

Download the save file here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.