Suicide Burn mod Development - Updated 5/12 - Almost BETA time

On the requirements issue - my quick thought would be tie it to pilot/control level: If the ship has control for retrograde+1 pilot level, it has control for a suicide burn.  (That would be level 2 pilots, or the Octo2 and better.) 

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

On the requirements issue - my quick thought would be tie it to pilot/control level: If the ship has control for retrograde+1 pilot level, it has control for a suicide burn.  (That would be level 2 pilots, or the Octo2 and better.) 

i think a automatic suicide burn is way yo OP to give to a lv 2 pilot as you dont need to do anything to land..  i would more think to put it on drone cores and lv 4 or 5 pilots as these do not give real game changing upgrades or any at al

1 minute ago, Noud said:

i think a automatic suicide burn is way yo OP to give to a lv 2 pilot as you dont need to do anything to land..  i would more think to put it on drone cores and lv 4 or 5 pilots as these do not give real game changing upgrades or any at al

That's a great idea, to not allow it on manned vessels

Will this be a 100% throttle burn (like spaceX)?

but brilliant anyways good mod so far

hyped up with hyped hype im so hyped i want to create a poem about hype:

Hype is stored in bytes or maybe petabytes

metabytes or terabytes nethertheless this hype is one im unwilling to fight

the hype that is hype to the power of hype to the power of gogolplex

Edited by kerbinorbiter
im a hype poet!

This post was originally the first of a release thread, it's been merged with this thread becuase it turned  into a development discussion.

Page is under construction, mod not yet released.  Release is imminent  delayed

After lots of intense development, and more than a few crashes, Spacetux Industries is (not yet) proud to announce the (not yet) beta release of the Suicide Burn mod.

For years we have been teased with Kerbal Engineer giving us a not-too-accurate number for a suicide burn.  Same with Mechjeb.  Then there is the Trajectories mod, which shows us where we are about to (crash) land.

Your wait is over (not yet).

The Suicide Burn mod is designed to work in essentially the same fashion as SpaceX does, with an almost full-power burn at the last possible moment.

It will strive to achieve a 0 velocity at the specified safety margin, and then lower the vessel gently to the ground.

This mod will NOT let you have a targeted landing.  Do your targeting first, then use this to land.

If landing gear are on the vessel, it will deploy them if desired, same with Parachutes.

Feature List

• Get to 0 speed at Safety Margin altitude
  • Land at <0.5 m/second
  • Deploy Landing Gear
  • Deploy Parachutes
  • Display advanced information
  • Limit control (the following two are not exclusive):
    • In Career and Science mode, only allow control if onboard pilot has required level (can be specified in Settings)
    • In all modes, only allow control if onboard probe has required level (can be specified in Settings)
  • Setting page using stock settings functionality
  • Supports both stock and Blizzy toolbar

There are some features which are not yet finished, but they can wait until a future release:

Planned Features

• Hover at Safety Margin altitude, to allow minor horizontal adjustments (ie, if you are about to land on a rock, or a slope)
  • Allow SAS inputs while hovering
  • Land after hover
  • Abort (go to full power and disengage)
  • use SRBs if available and specified (???)

And, since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a short video showing the latest version in two successful tests:

Credits

I am indebted to the following developers and mods for the availability of their code:

@Diazo for his Vertical Velocity Control mod and Landing Height display mod (GPLv3)

@Youen and @Kobymaru, for the Trajectories mod (MIT).  

@blizzy78 and @sarbian for the toolbar (wrapper is used)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 minute ago, hab136 said:

Awesome!

Does it control steering too, or only the engines?  It wasn't clear from the videos.  Seems like SAS can do the steering on its own.

It uses SAS to point retrograde, and then vertical, it does NOT do any steering other than that

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Really curious about how you did the timing :wink:

Can it do landings with a high horizontal velocity component as well?

Lots of frustrating math.  Had to relearn my trig.

Up to  a point, yes.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 12/5/2017 at 3:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Page is under construction, mod not yet released.  Release is imminent 

After lots of intense development, and more than a few crashes, Spacetux Industries is (not yet) proud to announce the (not yet) beta release of the Suicide Burn mod.

Moved to Add-on development, where it belongs given the current status. When the mod is released (and the OP corrected to show that) will be moved back to Add-on releases.

BTW I've worked on this issue too via kOS and I came to some pretty good results. However it's been a while since I've worked on that project but here is a video showing an older version of the script. 

And here is another video where the craft uses rougly the same but improved steering algorithms: 

i can clean up the code if you are interested in seeing it

4 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

BTW I've worked on this issue too via kOS and I came to some pretty good results. However it's been a while since I've worked on that project but here is a video showing an older version of the script. 

And here is another video where the craft uses rougly the same but improved steering algorithms: 

i can clean up the code if you are interested in seeing it

Sure, anything would help.

I'm slowly getting to a good solution, but other points of view are always helpful.

22 minutes ago, tater said:

Wow, looking awesome.

Question, would it be possible to do with throttle limitations? Say an engine could only throttle to 79% or something? 

I guess the point of this is to be a hoverslam mod, so as little throttling involved as possible. You can only achieve that with complex algorithms and mathematical formulas, and so far, it seems to be working pretty well here, but not yet good enough to go below 80% or something. My aim was to have it a roughly 30% throttling range, from 100% to 70%, not below, which mostly works well but as higher the TWR the lower the vessel had to throttle in the end and I finally gave up on that project a couple months ago because I did not make great progress anymore.

--> With good formulas & quick solving of equations you can theoretically achieve a constant 100% throttle, and then give it a little margin, but with "simpler" equations used here (I guess?) as well as those I used in my script you can only optimize the equations that they work as smooth as possible but they will at some point exceed / cut that given margin I guess. 

2 hours ago, tater said:

Wow, looking awesome.

Question, would it be possible to do with throttle limitations? Say an engine could only throttle to 79% or something? 

You do that by normalizing the throttle to 100%. so that if you can't go above 79%, then that 79% becomes 100 internally.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You do that by normalizing the throttle to 100%. so that if you can't go above 79%, then that 79% becomes 100 internally.

I think what was meant is the reverse - what if the engine can't go below 79% throttle?