Suicide Burn mod Development - Updated 5/12 - Almost BETA time

I'm working on a mod to automatically do Suicide Burns.

It's not ready for release, but it is working in my test setups.

I hope to release a beta version of it later today.

This thread is for discussions of it.

I'm going to leave this OP as a summary, and will make individual posts about specific issues

Riget now I've implemented it as a vessel module.  The idea is that it will be added to a probe core.  The issue with this is that right now, to activate it, you need to right-click on the probe and then click the button to activate.  

My feeling is that this is a computer, and should not be available without adding something to the vessel.  Comments?

Successful test video updated 5/12

Edited by linuxgurugamer

13 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

My feeling is that this is a computer, and should not be available without adding something to the vessel.  Comments?

When I was using the analogous part from KER, I found it turned into yet another "no brainer" step during design that didn't add anything to the gameplay other than "Oops, one more revert." (It also singlehandedly made most of the craft from my most intense period of playing KSP incompatible with current versions.) KER's current behavior of activating regardless of craft is a better user experience.

If you do decide to go with a part, I would think about exactly what impact you want it to have on designs and flight so the decision of whether to include it becomes meaningful. Make it really heavy, awkwardly bulky, extremely intensive in ElectricCharge consumption, very expensive in funds, etc. But also be aware that someone will almost certainly create a mod to remove the part requirement (such mod-mods have existed for both KER and MJ).

I wonder if I can specify in the license somehow that a mod to add this to all parts is disallowed?

While that won't prevent it from being done, I could hope the no mod would be released.  And definitely won't support that.

I had this issue with another mod, the EVA Parachutes; gave me endless headaches because it was designed a certain way and a patch messed things up

if it its, may want to make it a physicsless radial core, so you don't have to worry about making a separate one for each form factor. will this be able to handle suicide burns with a large horizontal component?

2 hours ago, toric5 said:

if it its, may want to make it a physicsless radial core, so you don't have to worry about making a separate one for each form factor. will this be able to handle suicide burns with a large horizontal component?

So far, in my testing, I've had a huge horizontal component (ie:  flying almost parallel to the surface) and it lands ok.

I'm having an issue right now with the final moments of the landing, but think I know how to fix.

========================

Question for people:  Would you like the ability to flip control over to MechJeb for the final landing?  The flip would be automatic (assuming the option is specified)

20 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

KER's current behavior of activating regardless of craft is a better user experience.

What current behaviour?  If you don't have Mechjeb&Ker for all, you still need to add parts

========================

One more question for you all:

Right now I'm just using the right-click popup for the UI, but it's getting rather crowded.

So, i have two ideas:

• Button on right-click to open UI window, removing all other UI fields for this from the right-click and put it all into a window
  • Toolbar button to open UI window for current vessel

I'm also open to any other ideas.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Live and learn.  I was unaware of this, thanks

you get KER for free if you have a lvl 3 tracking station. (or have an engineer on board) possibly something similar for you mod, require the part, a lvl 3 building (tracking station, mission controll?) or a certain level of pilot?

21 minutes ago, toric5 said:

you get KER for free if you have a lvl 3 tracking station. (or have an engineer on board) possibly something similar for you mod, require the part, a lvl 3 building (tracking station, mission controll?) or a certain level of pilot?

Oh, that explains it.  My career game is still at a very low level

Interesting idea, let me think about it.

Thanks

just as a request somewhat related to this, would you consider making a barebones manuver node executor? all the mods that include that also include a full suite of other autopilot features (looking at you, mechjeb.) i just want a really barebones one.

15 minutes ago, toric5 said:

just as a request somewhat related to this, would you consider making a barebones manuver node executor? all the mods that include that also include a full suite of other autopilot features (looking at you, mechjeb.) i just want a really barebones one.

I'll think about it.  May not be too difficult, somewhat similar to what I'm doing here

Would you expect it to point to the target, or just do the burn?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll think about it.  May not be too difficult, somewhat similar to what I'm doing here

Would you expect it to point to the target, or just do the burn?

possibly just use SAS to point to the target. (if the probe core can handle it.) in fact, giving KAC the ability to control sas and throttle would work well, as an example of how simple it could be.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

OP updated with video showing successfull test

noticed the throttle was going down as it was landing. is that because of atmospheric drag? in a vacuum, at least, do you not want full throttle, to minimize gravity losses?

2 hours ago, toric5 said:

noticed the throttle was going down as it was landing. is that because of atmospheric drag? in a vacuum, at least, do you not want full throttle, to minimize gravity losses?

It's constantly recalculating the throttle, it was going down because full thrust wasn't needed at that point.

Nothing is going to be perfect, the idea here is to automate it as much as possible.

And, it's not done yet :D

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the development.

I've been working on the throttle, to not have it jump instantly to full and to off, etc.  

I finally got it working very nicely, it's too late for me to make a video, I'll do that in the morning.

I have some cleanup to do, remove unnecessary calculations, etc.  But it's been able to land both landers and tall rockets safely. 

4 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

I have been following this with interest, and it would be ideal for the REKT mod.

I originally started this for the Kurrikane, but REKT is ideal also.  I sent you a PM regarding it

Edited by linuxgurugamer