Biome "Fixes" in 1.2.2

So, as I continue to re-explore Kerbin, one of the thing's I've immediately noticed is the biome maps have been redrawn -- much to my (and I hope others') displeasure.  A perfect example:  this was once my go-to spot for Highlands and Mountains Splashed data.  Now it's been reduced to Shores.  I've noticed the same thing has occurred in the Badlands way out East.  There are many little lakes out there that are no longer Badlands, but shores.

Spoiler

Bt6nIRZ.png

51KJypl.png

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm all for pulling the Tundra biome that was right next to KSC.  But downgrading areas to Shores when I'm clearly in the Mountains or the swamps?  C'mon Squad, quit fixing things until they're broke, will ya?

Yeah... You'll see proponents of both views. I was considering posting some of the past conversations, because they're interesting reads with points from both sides... but...

I think I'll just post this.

@nightingale's Field Research Contract Pack.

There's still tiny rare pieces of biomes around that let you get situations like: "Highlands Splashes". I believe everything still exists if you look carefully enough, and this contract pack apparently has their locations curated and converted into bite-sized missions. I've never tried it myself, but if losing the complex intertwined irks you, finding the bits of it that secretly still remain might be a fun easter egg hunt.

Well, happy hunting! (I like how you have your nav ball set to measure air speed by the way! Is there wind?)

• 4 weeks later...

Squeaky wheel is making some noise.  Will continue making noise until squeaky wheel gets oil from development.

There's nothing "Shores" about the aircraft's current position.

KSC 104 radial for about 400.

Please repair the biome boundaries.

x699Spd.png

MjfPabo.png

Edited by Verran

35 minutes ago, Verran said:

There's nothing "Shores" about the aircraft's current position.

Water=shores.

I'm glad they are finally fixing that old exploit.

Personally, though, I would say all splashed should be one biome. Water here is the same as water there. (In game.)

@Brent Kerman  What exploit are you referring to?  The tundra biome next to KSC?

The point I am attempting to make here is that there is now lost science in the ether.  I plan to continue demonstrating scenarios where a vehicle (or in my case, aircraft) is actually in a biome that is no longer recognized.  Losing access to situations such has Highlands, Mountains, Badlands, and Ice Caps splashed is a large chunk of lost science, and if you're striving to restrict yourself to airplanes and spaceplanes, that's valuable science.

I am referring to the exploit of splashed in whatever biome. On Kerbin, all water is the same. Add actual flowing, simulated water and it makes sense. If I gave you a bucket of water, and kept an identical one, and you took yours to a mountain, and we both "sampled" it, the samples would be the same. That is how all water is in KSP. Splashed should be its own science thing, as in not including biomes.

Besides, the science you can get from Kerbin biomes is almost worthless. I don't bother getting it, and usually end up flying by the Mun on flight 5. On normal difficulty. Anyone that needs to grid for it either is on hard mode, or needs to shape up on their strategy.

I'm slightly disappointed that I don't have your support.  Regardless, before you call it an "exploit," I would like to make you aware that while the reports themselves were rather generic, biomes splashed data rendered higher science data than their landed counterparts, much as Water Landed has a higher value.

10 minutes ago, Verran said:

I'm slightly disappointed that I don't have your support.  Regardless, before you call it an "exploit," I would like to make you aware that while the reports themselves were rather generic, biomes splashed data rendered higher science data than their landed counterparts, much as Water Landed has a higher value.

The water landed was a confirmed glitch. The others, at least based on the fact that they were fixed, were glitches too. if Squad fixed them, it probably means that they were not intended to be there, right?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, Brent Kerman said:

I would say all splashed should be one biome.

I wouldn't. I'd like to see different biomes for inshore lakes and rivers, and preferably seperate 'biomes' at differrent depths, like with the submersible experiment in DMagic, as pressure would interact differently with experiments at different depths.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.