KSP Challenge: Build and Fly a Space Shuttle!

Darth Badie

Ah if only I could view pictures and videos at work.  Alas I'll have to grind through 10 hours of work before I can check out all the epic Shuttles flying in :)

SM

14 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Does there have to be a radially attached plane section? I'll land it as a plane but does it have to launch that way?

You can launch it any way you like as long as it's not an SSTO.  Plane launched, boat launched, VAB launched, Runway launched, whatever you like.  @Scabank built two fists of fury and thunder-punched his Shuttle at an Asteroid.

Basically - Bits have to come off on the way to space.  Um....intentionally come off :wink:

Hope that helps!

SM

I hope @Speeding Mullet accept this entry for the station building one... :P

SS-Gemini is a small station at a 20Km orbit, around the Mun...
pics of the modules begin deployed and assembled:
XPDR1Gx.jpg Zf4Lyk2.jpg

MgQJ4YI.jpg GPH5zNl.jpg

The station was assembled in 3 launches, and consists of one crew module, Lab, Airlock, RCS module and Sensors module.
In each launch the Orbiter and it's lifter landed safely at KSC, both are very easy to fly and glide very well...

Video of the 3rd launch:

So, I repeated my mission from yesterday with kerbals! And the 40 ton payload (actually slightly less, since some monopropellant was used somehow, but I could have refilled it. :/ meh)

Video submission.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1-uDOLSBWj7cGh5amVLaHoxSTQ

And no, the landing gear were not supposed to do what happened in the video. It was cause it was considered inside the cargo bay, which means it didn't deploy. I still landed mostly safely though! (lost an OMS pod)

Edit: Mods used? KER, EditorExtensions, RCSBuildAid, Trajectories, BetterBurnTime. No part mods.

Edited by qzgy

I have a few new shuttles for this... well 1 old but hasn't been revealed yet, 1 old concept that was just finished, and 1 new.

Old: my first space shuttle, named Space Shuttle. It has relay antennas on the EFT, and engines on said EFT. I still have yet to land it at the KSC.

Pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLUJ5NHU5RXBTNzA

New: TinyShuttle uses a command seat for the pilot, and has a jet engine for flying after reentry. The shuttle has its payload under the orbiter. It also has an excessive amount of air brakes, making it capable of decelerating from Mach 3 to subsonic in about 10 seconds. I don't do that with a pilot though. I've only gotten it back to the KSC because of the jet engine. I'm not good at gliding small shuttles.

Pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLUVRSUN2ODkxcWM 

Old yet new: Enterprise is a HTOL rocket only shuttle with the theoretical capability to land the boost stage. I'm also proud of the fact that it gets 2000 m/s of delta v on orbit without LV-Ns, especially since that's in line with my other shuttles that use LV-Ns. Note: landed on parachutes because I failed to place the rear landing gear correctly. 

Pics: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmLUdlN2NFS2JBa1k

Edited by 53miner53

Here's my entry

And here's a stupid question- How do I resize the special challenge badge? every time I try to add it to my signature, it's Yuge, and I want it to be a normal size. How do I make this happen?

Edited by ILikeIke

Figured Id have a go at this - concept being a shuttle with recoverable / flyback boosters. Managed a 12T payload.

Pics from test flight..

On the pad : 

67D848653B7700315708E9AACDB5FEF8885040A6

In Flight

703594D28F572D09A36D4657E8A83B9DCC10D723

Orbit!

94A234E36D9F71B72250BB54D50B1C2418689E75

Flyback Booster Seperation

ED2A274445CFB14B212BFF6A5B3E233FFDBB1F09

Made it back!

C3AC4D6595084BBD67A4936CB20257BAFAC84F93

Booster made it too (only recovered one on this flight test) - capable of landing in both water and terrain.

ED0EFC938523E21EA61E1358770EEC5220B8D2BC

22 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

You can launch it any way you like as long as it's not an SSTO.  Plane launched, boat launched, VAB launched, Runway launched, whatever you like.

Please consider one of @AeroGav's creations for this one. It's a two-stage craft built to Kerbin thrust-scale; he challenged himself to have an air-breathing part only hit about 20% of orbital velocity.

Spoiler

And mind the cheesy 80s movie theme. This craft just needed the Disney touch.

(AeroGav should get the badge, not me.)

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

I'm attempting this challenge for my first one here at the forums. I llove the badge :D

But I would like to know what I should provide for screenshots. It built in VAB, on launch pad,  in orbit then landed on kerbin with mission report screen visible? Im doing this on PS4 but I dont think there should be any difference right?

On 4/27/2017 at 7:44 AM, michal.don said:

Hehe, which pictures to choose? :D

Yep, you've done everything in the main shuttle challenge haven't you!  Do I need to create new missions to keep you busy for another few weeks?  :D  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/27/2017 at 10:21 AM, luizopiloto said:

There was a time... I only designed Shuttles...  To the point I had to force me to design something else... ಠ__ಠ

And your shuttles are always beautiful creations too.  That return Pegasus booster.  Love it! :)  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/27/2017 at 3:02 PM, Kertech said:

Been meaning to collate images from the shuttle missions I've been running lately!

All done in 10 times scale, the Wyvern 2a

So that's enormous right?  Are the parts 10 times larger as well as the system?  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

On 4/27/2017 at 3:37 PM, Mikki said:

OMG! Does my Kerbal all stock MAKS count?
I have porkjets partoverhaul installed and Kerbalism, but the craft is pure stockparts though...
KSP 1.2.2

Absolutely it counts!  I love seeing shuttles like this.  I mean the standard shuttle is a beautiful thing, but all the many variations when they start appearing can be a lot of fun to look at.  Creativity at it's best on this forum!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8.  You can also have the Commander badge from the main shuttle challenge :)  sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 4/27/2017 at 5:18 PM, Alshain said:

There really is no end.  You can do it whenever you like even if they have posted next weeks challenge or the one after that.  This thread doesn't go away just because they post a new one.

That is true, although the limit of 1 week of me awarding badges from the main Shuttle challenge stands.  After that it's post and self claim the STS badge from the OP :)

On 4/27/2017 at 5:31 PM, Flamingo said:

Made this for tourist contracts:

That is a nice little modded shuttle, thanks for sharing!!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8  Also clearly qualifies for Commander level 1 :)  sE1QW9Q.jpg

On 4/27/2017 at 6:35 PM, Raptor9 said:

I'll throw my hat in here.  The first is my Dyna-Soar inspired spaceplane, my cheapest (non-SSTO) way to get three Kerbals to LKO (~:funds:29,500).  The second is the classic STS design.

Beautifully presented @Raptor9!  The classic STS shuttle in particular looks amazing!  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8.  I can see from the pictures that you've also made it to Commander level! sE1QW9Q.jpg

On to the next page, hopefully it merges

SM

On 4/27/2017 at 8:56 PM, luizopiloto said:

I hope @Speeding Mullet accept this entry for the station building one... :P

SS-Gemini is a small station at a 20Km orbit, around the Mun...
pics of the modules begin deployed and assembled:

It's always incredibly impressive when someone pulls off this kind of mission.  Designing a Shuttle, let alone a space station to be modularly launched that actually makes sense is a really cool thing and very rewarding!  Definitely have a badge!  gDmEbjw.jpg

22 hours ago, qzgy said:

So, I repeated my mission from yesterday with kerbals! And the 40 ton payload (actually slightly less, since some monopropellant was used somehow, but I could have refilled it. :/ meh)

Video submission.

Ahha!  A Flight director it is for you!  et2p8E4.jpg  Nice mission, great shuttle, and certainly badge worthy :)  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

14 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

I have a few new shuttles for this... well 1 old but hasn't been revealed yet, 1 old concept that was just finished, and 1 new.

Ha I thought I'd see you in this challenge :)  I've awarded you Commander and pilot rank 1 so many times I've stopped doing it.  Just because it's this thread you can have it again though Rvs3vgQ.jpg sE1QW9Q.jpgsE1QW9Q.jpgyV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

5 hours ago, ILikeIke said:

Here's my entry

Very nice indeed!  Dreamchaser style!  You can certainly claim you badge, and also the pilot level 1 badge.  To re-size ctrl+right click, then edit, then shrink to about 150.  I didn't realise it did that sorry!  Rvs3vgQ.jpg  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8

5 hours ago, Kryten 2X4B 523P said:

Figured Id have a go at this - concept being a shuttle with recoverable / flyback boosters. Managed a 12T payload.

Pics from test flight..

On the pad : 

Nice fly back boosters on the shuttle there!  Great quality screenshots a nice shuttle!  Definitely Pilot level 1 worthy, and of course claim your badge :)  yV_RrghwwENxYdv-jCCzrknh9HcYZYfROi8XAaH8  Rvs3vgQ.jpg

4 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Please consider one of @AeroGav's creations for this one.

If @AeroGav wants to take part in the challenge I'm sure he or she will post their entry!

1 hour ago, Kerbal-Willie said:

I'm attempting this challenge for my first one here at the forums. I llove the badge :D

But I would like to know what I should provide for screenshots. It built in VAB, on launch pad,  in orbit then landed on kerbin with mission report screen visible? Im doing this on PS4 but I dont think there should be any difference right?

Cool, can't wait to see what you come up with!  It's pretty flexible, but generally speaking I'd suggest:  1 in VAB, 1 on Launch pad, Anything relevant on the way to space (i.e. separation events etc).  On orbit, re-entry, landing.

SM

Here's My entry...

tzDB55F.jpg

Here is my Kerbin 1 Shuttle.

Pros: Really Cheap and easy to make and also is easy to fly to orbit.

Cons: Reentry is really hard because the shuttle decides to swing around everywhere.(could be easily fixed by having a reaction control system)

19 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

The STS inspired many of my designs, but this is one of the few that I have a screenshot of:

FA297B9AF5B6B2E1854F4C8F7012AF8D14BA867B

That looks like you strapped the Space Shuttle orbiter to the Buran launch stack.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Nah, I never put engines on the ET. That's a nosecone.

I was just thinking of the SRB arrangement being from Buran, and the shuttle having a main engine being like the space shuttle. 

Edited by 53miner53

[Same as posted on STS Challenge v4 just now]:

Just getting back after a hiatus, thought I'd check and see if I could do this totally stock, without even my beloved KER.

Jeb has never been so happy!

Mission Report - STS-1a Commander:

First test flight didn't go so well...but that's why we use drone cores. (Shame about the brand new hangar...Gene was so angry he turned dark green.)

After a number of test flights of the new Banshee Mk I Shuttle (there have been dozens of Banshee-class craft, mostly SSTOs, but this is the first in this fresh save) I threw together a lifter.

Made orbit on first attempt, clean separation and orbit. Jeb got a little excited on re-entry, overshot a wee bit, then burned up too much fuel showing off the Banshee's high-G turns, so we had to land at the contingency site on the Island.

Spoiler

005C44251E14CA8B0EBC22B154F3130A16C93C39

C5B3081124A8C1AB869D5A64419C129BDB4DB940

692DEF128A948AC3D4F394A8BC661881DEE4A7F9

DE6DC2519D3897C7E921FD440F9A2CE252E7D0C2

66818E9ED4655F08D040F33F0217EF4612E33CC4

19CD4E38484EC5BA2C7D3289DAAD2C8F1032E0C1

80BBFF14E4886C075C95B93777D251676581C172

0CC42C80EA3B3B23282EC22B16A81EA3D2BB542C

73FF7D9C5925D6DCA2226B7E281E81A6D42E5AF6

13D669F398F07A54DAC3B288E55E9EEB7D5255FE

Now that she's a proven vessel, maybe I'll get a chance to swap out that crew module for a cargo bay and go for some higher ranked awards. Used to building SSTOs, these STSs have the joy of being fully fueled on orbit...should have built some sooner!

-Jn-

2 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

STSs have the joy of being fully fueled on orbit

Not my design! Really, its more of a TSTO (two stage to orbit)

There are awesome crafts here!! Congrats to you all!

Here is an old shuttle of mine, including a home grown launch tower. It's from 1.0 or 1.1 I think. I don't use them anymore... My classic launchers are more than 75% retrievable (actually, only the payload isn't recovered) so, for simplicity's sake, I stick to eh... candle sticks.

If you wan't to see it in action, here's a video with an even older 0.90 version! It's a bit long and the cut could be improved a lot...

And this is another version where I've replaced the cargo bays with crew cabins:

The crew version in a video/ There's a fully working lift in the launch tower too:

And finally a tiny micro shuttle, launched in the fairing of a classic rocket but that can land by itself, just to visit LKO asteroids...

The entire point of my livestreamed career mode save for the past year has been to use spacecraft like this! I use no part mods, no FAR. Kerbal Engineer, Pilot Assistant, CorrectCOL and some other editor mods sure, but stock parts only.
(Image spam incoming)
In chronological order, I have:
HPp3Ilv.pngs71uBZ7.jpg

This is Dyno, it was my equivalent of an early-space pod, used for early orbital/docking tests and Mun missions, as seen in the configuration on the right. It launched atop the expendable Dyno I rocket on the left for Kerbin orbit, and the larger rocket whose name has slipped my mind for Mun missions, with a lunar lander in tow. It was based on the X-20 Dynamic Soaring Vehicle, or Dyna-Soar. Its use has been discontinued in my career, as it was not terribly efficient as a vehicle as time went on.

sQQOxNH.pngfUOx71S.png

This is Firnen, my first foray into cargo spaceplanes. It's based on the Martin Marietta "Spacemaster" design proposal from the early phases of space shuttle development, and named for Arya's dragon in the final book of the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. It can carry 4 crew and about 5 tons into Low Kerbin Orbit, and the jets on the launch stage are used to guide it to a downrange landing. Due to its low launch TWR, insufficient payload bay formfactor, and general flaws, it's been phased out after 15 launches.

282mnAB.pngPZvTlzW.png

This is Ruth, it can lift 15 tons to Low Kerbin Orbit with a crew of 6. The large booster has jets for a downrange landing, as it cannot RTLS.
It's named for the white dragon in Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern book series, and based on the Martin Marietta/McDonnell-Douglas Phase B Shuttle Proposal from the space shuttle design program. As of writing, it has performed 18 missions, including the assembly of my nuclear ship fleet and fleet of equipment that sent Kerbals on an expedition to Duna.

2RQ2xiC.pngZGUMo8e.png

Pictured here atop various configurations of the Dyno III rocket, an upgraded version of the Dyno rocket named for the spaceplane mentioned previously, is the spaceplane Saur. It replaced Dyno for pod-type activities like crew transfer, short trips, and crew return. I don't know why KVV deleted the interstage in the first picture, though. That's sorta strange. It's named Saur because Dyno-Saur, and because I thought that was funny. The left configuration is a Dyno III-03 (the 0 standing for amount of boosters, and 3 for the size of upper stage. it's 3 sardine can tanks (the smallest rockomax tank) in length), and the right configuration, a Dyno III-53 (5 liquid boosters, size 3 upper stage) was used for two Minmus trips before that program was cancelled. Dyno III is the one expendable rocket I keep around in my save, because not everything can fit into a mk3 payload bay. That is, anyway, until I designed (and i apologise, no KVV screenies for this one)...

438524d625.pngb1e7e87388.jpg
This is the Glaedr Lift System, with heavy lift SSTO* Glaedr and its optional crewed orbiter, Oromis. Glaedr was designed to lift heavy and misshapen payloads into low kerbin orbit, namely the new class of nuclear ships I plan to commission for interplanetary voyages and logistics between Kerbin and its moons. With Oromis, it can carry up to 8 crew and 20 tons of payload, up to the size of an orange tank. On its own, Glaedr can carry an impressive amount, an amount I'm trying to tune and get up further, though its true benefit is oddly shaped payloads. The forward module of my first nuclear ship required a Dyno III to launch, as an example. No longer, with Glaedr. It's not based on any one space shuttle design proposal, but several assorted ones, in addition to my own needs and interests. Glaedr is the first launch stage and vehicle configuration where every component returns to a runway landing for full value. It has performed 3 missions, with more planned. It's very new.
Glaedr was named for the golden dragon in Brisingr, the third installment in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance series of books, and Oromis was named for that dragon's rider.
*The observational folk here may have noticed that it's not a true SSTO, as you can see Dyno III derived LRBs under the wings in the editor. I call these "Confidence Boosters" and I'm sure the vehicle would do fine without them, but they give me a bit more confidence during runway takeoff and early ascent so, while it's not a true SSTO, i consider them JATOs.

FJtApHr.pngMY90ZCk.png
DOVE (Dyno-III Orbital VEhicle) Was designed as an uncrewed replacement to Firnen. It launches on a Dyno III-02 (No LRBs, shorter upper stage) with an extended fairing. Based on the X-37, it's useful for both light payloads, satellite recovery, and long-duration missions for testing components and materials on orbit, just like its inspiration.

A bit of a shameless plug, you can see these vehicles in use (the non-discontinued ones anyway) at http://twitch.tv/lupidragon
Until such a point as KSPTV returns, in which case they might appear there as well!

One final note: in submitting this for the Shuttle challenge, I am not submitting Glaedr on its own. Glaedr gets the Oromis vehicle to orbit, at which point Glaedr deorbits itself to return to a runway landing, leaving Oromis, crew, and payload on orbit like any other space shuttle. I'm not intending to focus on Glaedr's unmanned heavy-lift cargo SSTO functionality, only on its use as a launch vehicle for Oromis. I should also state that i use the Pilot Assistant mod for Glaedr's ascent in all cases, where i manually enter heading/pitch/throttle values, which i consider manual control even if I don't have my hand on my 3d pro or WASD, but may not count for the shuttle v4 challenge.

Edited by Lupi
Image sizing is not as it seems

Dreamchaser-inspired entry: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=915476953

Can deliver 20 tons to LKO and a crew of 4, for a per-launch price of about 40 000 funds.

Has docking capability and fuel cells for electricity. 

The orbiter's wings are squat, and provide a glide ratio of(at best) 3/1. This necessitates the addition of 4 Juno jet engines for assistance on landing(though the engines cannot provide level flight on their own). The reason for this design is to lessen the wing area necessary on the booster stage for stability purposes, thus reducing the per-launch cost and lowering risk of launch failure. Similarly, the vehicle lacks a rudder and tailplane.

If the mission requires it, this vehicle can deliver payloads to higher orbits through the use of a booster stage as part of the payload. This stage is then flown back to the orbiter and recovered.

Edited by ThePerpetual

I am really pleased with myself. This challenge inspired me to keep trying. Shuttles are hard. Would never have made it without the vectors. Without further ado (hehehe), Here's my success story:

TrbxnDJ.jpg

I'll give you the album link rather than blast you with a wall of pics here. For some reason the first two pics are repeats - no idea why, they don't appear on the Imgur site:

Truth time - I came in to KSC way too fast. Bounced a lot. Broke a wing.  Spun it backwards. Stayed on the runway. I consider that a good landing.

The inagural flight of my Knight Block R shuttle, the second real scale entry after Kertech's, this time in Real Solar System.

It's built to recover the first stage engines, but I didn't do so on this flight because I needed to make sure the shuttle itself made orbit, it's only got about 0.35 TWR when fully fuelled.

Aimed for Kennedy landing but missed, and damaged it in a ditching off the Lousiana coastline. Nothing that can't be fixed with polish and filler, right? :D

Mods used: Real Solar System. That's it. These are unaltered stock parts, as I continue to show that they can in fact cut it in the real(ish) world.

Selected pics:

Liftoff! Of the Knight Block R on its inaugral orbital flight

Booster separation. The Knight's doing the rest herself.

OSG Antonin Dvorak with the Knight shuttle docked

It does help to turn the control surfaces back on!

Any landing you can swim away from is a good landing, right?

Full mission album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskU3Tggt