What Type of KSP Player Are You?

ZooNamedGames

What Type of KSP Player Are You?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What Type of KSP Player Are You?

I would probably be classified as an engineer, with the occasional moments of flight controller (I often enjoy teaching new players). But if you look at my Kerbalx page, you will see all my craft have one thing in common (besides being huge and overegineered and usually capable of more than they were designed to do). They all have a purpose. I never really enjoy building craft just because, I enjoy building craft designed to do a certain thing, and usually end up being able to do it with fuel to spare. Some of my designs are fairly innovative, and I hold the current record for the top three most massive craft ever posted on KerbalX (not to brag, but that's just a fact). In fact, I even designed craft to beat my own mass record without using tweakscale. That was their purpose. I really enjoy community space programs actually, not because I like the interaction, but because I enjoy the challenge of building crafts to meet certain specs. When I built for @DaGuyAboveYou's CSA, I really enjoyed it, and the design I came up with, based on my tests, worked rather nicely. The reason I ended up taking a break from KSP was because I didnt exactly have a point to build craft for. I know a few scientist KSPers (who doesn't?) and I never was exactly interested in being ultra-efficient, just reasonably efficient. I remember when a scientist friend of mine nearly choked when I said to add more fuel if it didnt have enough delta-v. 

All that to say, since I find it easier to build things when they have a specific purpose, I suppose I am an engineer.

Edited by Mycroft
Grammar, Jeb, grammar!

4 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

I'm a piloneer.

I see what you did there...^_^

I'm also a piloneer, been to the Mun and Minmus once, meh, I'll stay on Kerbin, maybe launching a satelite but mostly building jets, cars and boats.

I have slowly evolved into the flight director. I think it is in part because I play in sandbox mode which lends itself to larger projects. I have all the technology available and do not have to worry about funding. The more I learn, the bigger my imagination and projects get. Putting a space station in orbit around a planet is just an early step in setting up the multiple surface bases connected by rovers. Resupply missions and shuttling Kerbals around are important, but they are only step 6.c of the logistics of getting the ore driller to the surface before you launch the tanker rover to move the fuel from the ore fields to the land bases.

I still long for my early days and will take over piloting docking and landing, but by and large I find myself handing that over to MechJeb so I can move on to step 7.a

I'm a theoretical scientist. I like to assume ideal conditions for calculation, while don't like performing actual experiments. These calculations are used to select the best ones and optimize crafts. Also I usually calculate minimal requirement for certain mission, and add some safety margin to make a craft.

These calculations usually take time, so I sometimes 'guesstimate' things with rough numbers. It's not blind guess, though, as this is calculation with less digits.

For instance, I took the process while designing my reusable TSTO lifters.

1. I checked the validity of it via calculation. I concluded that boostback doesn't worth it, as it typically needs 300m/s more dv and recovery gain was relatively marginal.

2. Built a prototype to verify that this works. Used the best engines in the case, with the help of calculation above.

3. Flew the prototype, and add/subtract bits till it works efficiently enough. It's not as good as theoretical optimum, but reasonably good as practical ones.

Besides, I may have some aspect of pilot. When I get bored with playing with the numbers, I get up with some absurd idea and put things together to make a contraption for that. Like fairing plane which is capable of belly landing. It's kerballed missile as well

As a real-life pilot, I'm tempted to of course say pilot, but my playing style is more that of an engineer.  My builds are always very much geared towards achieving a specific goal (or more often then not, multiple goals), and I spent quite a bit of time designing and tweaking my designs to achieve those goals.  With that said, there's definitely elements of the other styles in how I play KSP.

As I mentioned, my designs are always very geared to a specific goal, and that goal is almost always exploration and the collecting of science.

But also, again as I mentioned before, I'm a pilot in real-life, so I take a lot of pride in how I fly and operate the craft I design.  Especially in terms of navigation and safety.  If I don't get the crew of my craft to where they need to be safely and efficiently, I've failed as a pilot.

3 hours ago, Kevin Kyle said:

I wasnt sure which to pick but I went with Engineer. Im probably somewhere between Engineer and Scientist in reality. But being as Im a Tool and Die maker, engineer really made the most sense.

*gives thumbs up, as his dad was a Tool and Die guy*

I'm sort of a combination engineer and scientist. I build replicas, fit my craft to certain goals, etc, and in the process I test and retest them, optimizing for Δv and stuff. Currently I'm working on a grand tour setup. Actually a couple grand tour setups, one for minimal mass, one to take 3 kerbals with cabins.

42 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

I direct you to my signitute!

Have a cookie:

de_beste_machinist_van_de_wereld_briefka

:cool:

On 28-4-2017 at 1:23 AM, KAL 9000 said:

PILOT! Who also knows science and engineering and participates in group projects.

Kruolan, get ready to be shot down....:cool:

#TeamTape

A well-rounded player should spend a lot of time as all of these in a career playthrough.  I try, though I suspect I spend more time as Scientist than I need to just for fun, while the other phases only get exactly as much time as they need.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.