Science Holding

Currently the only means to transmit science is from a vessel to the KSC-but what if you could transmit it from vessel to vessel? I see two main uses for this-if a vessel had a relay antenna and an RGU on it (a probe control point, manned or not), other craft could transmit to that vessel (storing the experiments in the RGU) even when it is in the comm shadow of whatever body it is orbiting, to be (automatically or manually) forwarded to the KSC when the relay comes back into contact. This would be very useful for landed craft with geostationary satellites that frequently lose connection, even more so when they are on large bodies. This is especially so in the case of gas giant atmodiver probes, since they can't wait for the planet to orient itself favourably so their relay has LOS during the transmission window.

The other would be when a kerbal is on EVA. If an EVA kerbal had a tiny, short-range antenna built into their spacesuit that treated all antennas within physics range as relay antennas and could transmit science to them (esp. EVA reports) for relaying back (though the direct transmission mentioned above could only be done after transferring the data to a vessel), draining EC from the relaying vessel as normal (this is why the range should be <2.4km) to prevent exploitation. This would allow the transmission of science without having to walk back to a vessel every time and sift through the potentially hundreds of science reports stored in it to pick out the ones you collected while on EVA to transmit.

I'm guessing this in't covered by the "common suggestions" this time? if it is, please berate me :P.

13 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Currently the only means to transmit science is from a vessel to the KSC-but what if you could transmit it from vessel to vessel?

I think this is a good idea in certain instances!  Of course you can EVA and manually transfer science experiments via Kerbal, but this isn't a valid method in the use case you cite (Atmospheric probes).  The other way of doing it is to have a suitable CommNet in place so you can bounce science from one relay to another that will transmit to Kerbin with direct line of sight, but I think you should be able to bounce science results (not physical experiments) to a relay (or other ship) for later communication to Kerbin when LOS is achieved.

So basically - Allow storage and forwarding of science results from and to any ship in range of the antenna with the requisite parts.  good call.

SM

14 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Hey OP give this a shot, I'm not sure if it can transmit from a Kerbal though

https://spacedock.info/mod/988/Science Relay

I always thought that was was for RemoteTech. I did see a patch to add an antenna to an EVA kerbal for RT, so I could probably just write an MM patch to add it to KerbalEVA.cfg. However, this would be open to exploitation as the kerbal antenna wouldn't use any EC.

Edited by voicey99

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.