KIS question - kerbal's Eva inventory is small

Kspguy88

Pretty new to KSP and I wanted to be able to add items onto space crafts that I already has in orbit. I downloaded KISand KAS to do this. Unfortunately my kerbal cannot hold anything in his inventory because his inventory volume is 1 L and every object is huge compared to that. Is this because he is a level 1? I tried looking through the save files to increase his inventory size but all I saw was max inventory which didn't fix the problem. I have read the user guide and looked all over the Internet and these forums for more information but I can't find anything. Everything is up to date. Other mods are Mechjeb, alarm clock, kerbal engineer and planetshine. Thanks in advance.

Kerbal inventory is big enough if your intention to attach few small bits (parachute, solar panels, scientific instruments, RCS thruster). In that sense KIS/KAS is intended more to small adjustments than full fledged orbital construction (among other things placing parts one by one, without help of symmetry and angle snap can turn in a chore pretty soon).

So my first suggestion is, if you plan to do bigger modification and do it often, to use another mod instead.

However if you still find the inventory volume small, you can change it in the file setting.cfg in the KIS folder. Just notice you may also want to change the mass the kerbal can pickup. The lines you are looking for are:

maxVolume = 300
grabMaxMass = 1

44 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Kerbal inventory is big enough if your intention to attach few small bits (parachute, solar panels, scientific instruments, RCS thruster). In that sense KIS/KAS is intended more to small adjustments than full fledged orbital construction (among other things placing parts one by one, without help of symmetry and angle snap can turn in a chore pretty soon).

So my first suggestion is, if you plan to do bigger modification and do it often, to use another mod instead.

However if you still find the inventory volume small, you can change it in the file setting.cfg in the KIS folder. Just notice you may also want to change the mass the kerbal can pickup. The lines you are looking for are:

maxVolume = 300

grabMaxMass = 1

So I should have been a little more descriptive. My level 1 engineer kerbal has an inventory of 1 L. A screw gun is bigger than this by about 1.2 L. Basically 90% of the items are bigger than 1 L so I can't even do small modifications. I have tried modifying the maxVolume but that doesn't do anything. I will try grabMaxMass to see if that helps. 

oow! I failed at reading! :blush:

Ok, I don't know if the volume is based on level (didn’t used KAS/KIS in a while). Make a test, take a engineer at higher level (you can do it starting a new sandbox game) if the inventory size is different then is probably level based.

Something I remember that can be useful is that the wrench is considerable smaller than the screwdriver.

You should probably ask this in the KIS thread, but I have never seen an inventory of anything other than 300l for a kerbal. I suspect that you either have a dodgy download or some other interfering mod. The white box can also be added to the kerbal as a kind of backpack giving a carrying capacity of 1000l.

• 2 months later...

I just had this same issue, not sure what the problem is yet but I got to the Mun and went to deploy surface experiments only to find my kerbals only have a 1 liter inventory. Will investigate further I suppose.

Edit: Guessing I figured it out. My KIS and KAS were still in their um.. packaging? I dropped the entire KIS (version number) / Game Data / KIS etc folder into the Game Data folder instead of taking only the stuff inside. Oops.

Edited by Enorats

• 3 years later...

Fair 'nuff... but this conversation is from over three years ago, and everyone involved has presumably long since moved on.

Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion. If someone has a question or suggestion about KIS, probably the best place to ask would be in the KIS thread.