Lucy Spacecraft

Rybo

Hello all! Most of you are probably unaware that Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company recently won the contract for the Lucy Spacecraft set to launch in 2021 to visit a handful of Jupiter Trojans. The Lucy team will be fairly small (relatively speaking) given the shrinking budgets of interplanetary missions lately, but LM WILL be hiring new talent in the near future so keep your eyes open for opportunities if you feel you are eligible: http://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com

The initial hiring wave will be primarily experienced engineers to design and integrate the bus and payload systems, and a second wave a year or so later will be build and test technicians such as solderers, cable and harness fabricators, and ground test equipment fabrication and installation technicians. If you don't feel qualified but want to be qualified it may be worth obtaining an IPC or J-STD solder certificate through your local community college if it's offered, or getting any job in electronics fabrication, repair, or installation and gaining some professional experience.

I must admit I'm not on the forums all that often but I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers!

Ill have to ask around to be sure, but I believe Lucy funding is from FY2016 and is currently capped. I haven't seen the FY2018 NASA et al. allocations but it's unlikely that it will include any further funding for Lucy, although it probably covers Psyche. 

1 hour ago, Rybo said:

Ill have to ask around to be sure, but I believe Lucy funding is from FY2016 and is currently capped. I haven't seen the FY2018 NASA et al. allocations but it's unlikely that it will include any further funding for Lucy, although it probably covers Psyche. 

Oh, yeah, I guess Lucy itself isn't specifically funded. Interesting.

4 hours ago, VaPaL said:

The first word still keeps me off, at least for now :/ 

Never hurts to apply when the reqs start dropping. The worst they can say is no :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.