KSC Defense: Reboot! Besiege KSC and occupy it!

Posting this new thread since the OP on the original one didn't put any rules.

KSC has been put under siege, and it's your job to liberate it... and occupy it yourself!

The challenge's goal is to destroy enemy defenses on the KSC. A module or attacking vehicle is defined as destroyed when it cannot harm any attacking vehicle by either having no weapon, ammo or cannot get close enough to attack. You can achieve this by using up to three vehicles in as many waves as you want. You can airdrop vehicles from planes, and the order and time when the vehicles are deployed is entirely up to you. Planes or any vehicle relying on fixed surfaces for lift must start 20 km away from the KSC, and any other vehicle has to spawn 5 km away.

Each craft has a maximum of 16 weapons, of which 5 at most can be firearms, 2 "main", and 3 "coaxial". The "coaxial" weapons must have a smaller caliber than the "main" ones. The coaxial weapons cannot be any "major" turret. Turrets considered major are the three Goalkeepers, Oerlikon, Vulcan turret, 105mm howitzer and 120mm M1 turret. This rule is to prevent gun spam as a way of dealing quickly with defenses. 

Since Hydra and SKOM pods have lots of missiles, each pod will count as 2 weapons. 

Since this challenge is about a tactical attack, indirect fire weapons, lasers, guided missiles other than BDA's, the two cruise missiles and any plane with a bomb load over 7000 kg are forbidden for both attack and defense.

Banned weapons:

AGM-86C cruise missile

RBS-15 cruise missile

USAF airborne laser

Hydra-70 turret

Any guided craft fitted with any BDA explosive/weapon that is designed to be crashed into the ground or near targets. This means no "stock" cruise missiles or kamikaze plane/tanks. Unguided small explosive warhead rockets are permitted.

The goal is to have a Kerbal plant a flag ontop of the VAB. If it's destroyed, the attacker suffers a penalty for damaging useful structures and must plant a flag on the flagpole place. If all three vehicles are put out of combat (, the attacker loses. If he succeeds, he must publish proof in the form of a video. Victory can only be achieved if all defenses are put out of combat as by the definition.

You must keep the KSC as intact as possible. Here are penalties for destroying some structures:

Spaceplane hangar or VAB: Cannot have any missiles in defense system

Research center or tracking station: Cannot have any radar or targeting systems in defenses

The winner gets three days to build his own defense system, and shares the persistent file for us to repeat. The defense system has a maximum of 5 separate crafts.

Are you ready for war?

KSC file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gimb8vz1pmdoblj/KSC Defense MostExcellent.zip?dl=0

Use the current KSC

Current King of KSC

@MostExcellent

Former kings of KSC

@jrodriguez defeated by notanaimbot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juDMQsC9QXQ

@NotAnAimbot, defeated by jrodriguez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT8FqnUozbk and mostexcellent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4X1HUkoZRg

Allowed and required mods

BDA continued

Vessel mover For moving your crafts from the KSC to the spawn points.

Any mod that does not add parts other than BDA, not including its extensions and that does not affect physical gameplay.

No, I will not allow BDA's weapon extensions, since I want to keep this simple for the maximum number of people to enjoy.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

@NotAnAimbot - My question is how is one supposed to launch their crafts when the KSC is supposed to be the area of operations if the only launch site is at the KSC?

Perhaps setting up your defenses at the Island airport may be a better idea as it would allow a person to set up their 3 crafts and go in for an attack

See the videos below:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

9 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

My question is how is one supposed to launch their crafts when the KSC is supposed to be the area of operations if the only launch site is at the KSC?

By the magic of vessel mover!

I thought that the KSC had more cover and closed spaces, which would provide occasions for close ranged combats and long ranged attacks, hence setting the target there. All modules aren't on guard mode, so you can spawn safely and activate them when you get in range.

@NotAnAimbot Are AGM Harm Missiles allowed? I guess they should.

I recommend to change the save file to have all the defenses on Team A instead of Team B ( just to avoid problems if someone forget to change the team before moving the vessel).

Also, I guess that we should the "persistent" savegamed right? By default when the game is loaded the set up is not the persistent one.

Each craft has a maximum of 10 weapons, of which can be "main", and 3 can be "coaxial". These three weapons must be smaller in bore and size. Since this challenge is about a tactical attack, indirect fire weapons, lasers, guided missiles other than BDA's, the two cruise missiles and any plane with a bomb load over 7000 kg are forbidden for both attack and defense.

I recommend to re-word this paragraph it is a bit ambiguous in my opinion. Instead of using main and coaxial I think it would be better to say turrets or fixed weapons - Can be use turrets with 0º of pitch, roll, etc? 

smaller in bore and size?

This is a very ambiguous rule. I recommend to change it because I don't really know what can or can't I use at this point.

indirect fire weapons, lasers, guided missiles other than BDA's, the two cruise missiles and any plane with a bomb load over 7000 kg are forbidden for both attack and defense.

I recommend to create a list with the BDA parts that are allowed or banned.

Edited by jrodriguez

9 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

have all the defenses on Team A instead of Team B

That was precisely to counter that problem, having someone forget setting the defenses on team B. Plus, all defenses have guard mode off on launch.

Instead of using main and coaxial

I really mean main and coaxial.

This is a very ambiguous rule

Bore size = caliber. Two weapons of X caliber, and three of Y caliber that's smaller than X.

I recommend to create a list with the BDA parts that are allowed or banned.

Will do

By the way, HARMs are allowed. My goal in limiting weapons was to keep people from just sending two nukes into the KSC and calling it a day.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

46 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

Are unpowered probe-guided bombs allowed? 

On 4/27/2017 at 8:12 PM, NotAnAimbot said:

Any guided craft fitted with any BDA explosive/weapon that is designed to be crashed into the ground or near targets.

In banned weapons, so no.

1 hour ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Can I do it with stock attacking craft?

Yep, as long as you respect all the rules. It'll be much harder than with BDA though, and BDA is required for every one. You don't need to use any parts from it, but the defense modules use BDA weapons.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

So, I think I finally made it. I took me 10 min to be able to land my craft on top of the VAB.

I have used  three of my top ASC design (VulcaRaptor league) but modified to have VTOL capabilities and extreme ground destruction.

@NotAnAimbot you can validate my loadout watching the video but basically it has 6x HARM , 3x Vulcan coaxial , 1x GAU (added just to compliance with the rules) = 10 weapons.

Edited by jrodriguez
typo

1 hour ago, jrodriguez said:

So, I think I finally made it. I took me 10 min to be able to land my craft on top of the VAB.

Oops, wrong defense system. I created some of my own craft for it, but it seems like the persistent is still the same as the old one.

I'll give it to you though since it's my fault. So, @jrodriguez becomes the first king of KSC and has until May the 4th to submit his defense system!

Here's my take on it if you're interested

I'll probably take on yours and then upload the true version of my system. Good job on finding out the radar weakness on that one.

L0Q7uoi.png

OP updated, good luck for your base!

Edited by NotAnAimbot

@NotAnAimbot I've watched your video and I have one question. Are you using the latest version of BDArmory? I have noticed that the enemy defenses are only loaded when you are like 8 km far from them. Using the latest version of BDArmory you should see that the physics range has been extended and those Patriots will be fired from KSC much sooner - at 17 km I think.

1 hour ago, jrodriguez said:

Are you using the latest version of BDArmory?

I've downloaded it when 1.2 came out, but never updated it since. Just realized recently there was a new version for 2.2. Even then, the plane seems to dodge missiles easily even at close range.

12 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

I've downloaded it when 1.2 came out, but never updated it since. Just realized recently there was a new version for 2.2. Even then, the plane seems to dodge missiles easily even at close range.

I recommend to update the version to the latest :) 

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

I recommend to update the version to the latest :) 

Done, used the whole 3 craft (2 F-12s and a AV-1) and added 2 HARM on each F-12 but still worked out fine

F-12: 8 x HARM, 2 x Vulcan

AV-1: 8 x Hellfire, 2 x Hydra-70, 1 x M230

Also realized with my AV-1 that you could just spam Hydras to win. I'll make a rule stating that a Hydra/SKOM pod counts as two weapons to prevent this.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

I love this challenge and I may give it a try but I doubt I will have the success most of you have had due to the fact I run FAR.  

I have always had very successful military aircraft selection.   May see if some of my old designs are still up to the challenge of the ever changing combat environment. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.