Auto-strut mass penalty

I like the auto-strut feature very much. But don’t you think, it’s a bit cheaty when reinforcement does not affect the mass of the vessel?

I’d suggest a slight mass increment proportional to the part mass when one of auto-strut options is chosen. Say, 1/10 or 1/20 of part’s mass.
I’m not sure if the mass penalties should differ between different auto-strut modes.

What do you think?

#lolkerbalz answer: kerbal rockets are denser than real rockets so that mass is already accounted for.

Serious answer: It doesn't feel like cheating because squad never balanced the part stats. There is no plan or pattern to disrupt stock is a pile of arbitrary crap and as a result is a lawless wild west were any shenanigans go and any law is made by the subjective whims of the player.

Take which ever answer you are most comfortable with :wink:

Edited by passinglurker

7 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

I like the auto-strut feature very much. But don’t you think, it’s a bit cheaty when reinforcement does not affect the mass of the vessel?

I’d suggest a slight mass increment proportional to the part mass when one of auto-strut options is chosen. Say, 1/10 or 1/20 of part’s mass.
I’m not sure if the mass penalties should differ between different auto-strut modes.

What do you think?

Not at all, because in real life, a 60 meter long aircraft does not behave like a noodle. It's STIIIIF. 

When they cure the wet noodleness of joints in the game and a craft acts like it's actually been physically assembled into one structural unit instead of stuck together with cheap glue, rubber bands and magnets, they can do whatever they want with the autostruts. Or the regular struts for that matter.

In the meantime, it's the only mitigation we have, and limited at that, with problems all of their own. It doesn't require any further 'punishment' for use, it's a pain in the rear that we need them in the first place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.