Inverse radial decouplers placement

Hi, we all notice that when the radial decouplers are activated, they remain attached to the "root" part, so i imagine they still count as dead wasting weight, am i right?

Or are they weightless once activated?

Wouldn´t be better to vanilla be placed inversed? I mean, once activated, they would go out with the unattached tank or so.

Trying to place them reversed, i sadly find they sink inside the tanks and im not able to even pick them for moving outside with the gizmo.

Any idea if it is doable?

Thanks

Edited by juvilado

Decoupler mass stays with the detached part with normal attachment. If you want to check for yourself just launch a tank with a probe core attached (that you know the mass of), attach a bunch of external tanks on radial decouplers and see what the mass of the core is after staging.

The remaining stuff on your main ship is purely cosmetic, just like engine shroud. If your main ship is unloaded and reloaded, they'll disappear. There will be no decoupler in the main ship's part tree (hence no mass) - they actually still stay on detached ships (and count their mass there).

So just put it normally.

4 hours ago, juvilado said:

Trying to place them reversed, i sadly find they sink inside the tanks and im not able to even pick them for moving outside with the gizmo.

To pick it, you need to adjust the camera point of view to be inside the tank. A bit awkward but very doable.

As other stated its not something you need to do in normal use.

@juvilado on a related note, depending on how you attach them the Strut Connectors that you use to strengthen your ship do leave their mass and drag behind after separation. It depends on which end you attach first. So if you go from main ship -> radial stuff, then the mass/drag stays with the center part. If you go from radial stuff -> main ship, then it gets left behind. 

4 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

@juvilado on a related note, depending on how you attach them the Strut Connectors that you use to strengthen your ship do leave their mass and drag behind after separation. It depends on which end you attach first. So if you go from main ship -> radial stuff, then the mass/drag stays with the center part. If you go from radial stuff -> main ship, then it gets left behind. 

Interesting... this is really a MUST KNOW for everyone...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.