SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Now that's how to start a Monday!

(I work an 8-to-5 so that's where I am with days like this...)

Gotta conserve likes, for sure.

You might be a nerd if your biggest thrill of the day was that SpaceX provided telemetry for the first stage recovery!

Federstein keeps tripping over his words this morning, but not so badly as yesterday.

Anyone know if they are attempting fairing recovery?

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Why did he say it is "12 meters in diameter"? It's 3.66 meters wide. Maybe he meant 12 feet? Or maybe he meant that the TEL assembly is 12 meters in order to support Falcon Heavy....

I thought I heard feet?

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Why did he say it is "12 meters in diameter"? It's 3.66 meters wide. Maybe he meant 12 feet? Or maybe he meant that the TEL assembly is 12 meters in order to support Falcon Heavy....

It is 12 feet in diameter, so I think that's what he meant.

5 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

It is 12 feet in diameter, so I think that's what he meant.

Yeah, he said "over 200 feet tall, 12 meters in diameter" so that's probably right.

Funny thing is, he made the same mistake yesterday.

11 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Alright everyone, place your bets on whether Inmarsat and CRS-11 will launch on their advertised launch date, or be delayed... :D 

I say delayed. :) 

I'm going to be completely honest, I hope it will be delayed a few days. I am going on vacation to Florida sometime in early June, and an RTLS would be sooooo cool to see!

Going back and watching the launch, since I tuned in about a minute before MECO...

Was it just me, or did she feel pretty sluggish coming off the pad?

Checking...looks like 100 m/s at T+0:27 in this flight. Quickly compared to CRS-10 and it was identical. SES-10 reached 100 m/s about two seconds later, at T+0.29. Guess that's the difference between an LEO launch and a GTO launch.

Tail-first video of the entry burn confirms that the first stage central engine ignites first, followed by the other two stages engines.

Rewatching...from the ground, it appears that the bottom half of the rocket is already pretty sooty at the conclusion of the boostback burn. I didn't expect that.

Edited by sevenperforce
Wow, that was a dumb mistake.