SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

8 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Why should they? It was within tolerances... :P

*in the back, some rocket scientists are still sweating profusely*

Congrats, this post is the reason I got the dreaded "You are only allowed to give 25 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today." message.

47 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Tail-first video of the entry burn confirms that the first stage ignites first, followed by the other two stages.

Rewatching...from the ground, it appears that the bottom half of the rocket is already pretty sooty at the conclusion of the boostback burn. I didn't expect that.

Falcon is a 2 stage lifter...

6 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

Tail-first video of the entry burn confirms that the first stage central engine ignites first, followed by the other two stages engines.

Rewatching...from the ground, it appears that the bottom half of the rocket is already pretty sooty at the conclusion of the boostback burn. I didn't expect that.

Falcon is a 2 stage lifter...

Wow, that was dumb. Fixed it.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

He probably meant engine. Center engine, then the side 2.

Bingo.

51 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Wow, that was dumb. Fixed it.

Bingo.

it may mean don't be such a funnel'half'ling (( :confused: )) about it ; it's boring ^^ but i m sure at some point that's gonna make it on a barge as well ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
hum, i see what you did there [insert paint draw] ^^

You wouldn't know from my attacks on the Space Shuttle around here, but I still literally get goosebumps even hearing a Shuttle countdown, and the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

Every time I see an F9 landing I involuntarily get a huge smile on my face.

Edited by tater

5 minutes ago, Spaceception said:
36 minutes ago, tater said:

You wouldn't know from my attacks on the Space Shuttle around here, but I still literally get goosebumps even hearing a Shuttle countdown, and the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

Every time I see an F9 landing I involuntarily get a huge smile on my face.

I think (I hope) that happens to all of us. :D

Oh, it does.

In Musk's recent TED interview, he was asked about ITS, and timeline. The interviewer asked if was 20 years or more. Musk said that their aspirational goal was 8-10 years to flying it... but that their internal goals were more aggressive, lol.

1 hour ago, Nibb31 said:

They really should just paint the first stage black.

That not only is a good idea, but it sounds sick, white looks sleek, but can you imagine a black first stage powering through the air?

I'd rep you, but... limits :P

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Oh hey, they can merge the other intact one they recovered :D

It was intact, right?

1 hour ago, Nibb31 said:

They really should just paint the first stage black.

As a good friend would say: "Lower it, paint it black, flames down the side!" It already ends up black from flames up the side, as for lowering it... Silo launch?

More seriously, the problem with black would be absorbing radiant heat, heating the propellants too fast. I still think they should just build a giant air-conditioned clamshell to enclose the whole rocket on the pad. It would give more ability to sit through holds. 

Ninja'd. Yeah, black paint out in that Florida and California (and eventually Texas) sun isn't very conducive to keeping those propellants superchilled. 

Tho perhaps it is worth noting, Rocket Lab's Electron rocket also runs on kerolox, and happens to be all-black...