SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

14 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

For most things multiplying by 1.88 seems to work. He still hasn't adjusted to earth years yet.

That explains it all, send Musk home :)
More LOL as I'm wearing an ocopy mars t-shirt I bought at the real KSC

They plan to pre-fire the 8 SDs at a high altitude. If one fails, the others can compensate (just disable the opposite engine). If two or more fail, then pop the chutes. If they pre-fire properly but fail to fire on landing, then you're toast (literally). The good thing is that you won't have have time to ever realize they didn't fire.

Edited by Nibb31

2 hours ago, Toonu said:

I heard somewhere (sorry, no source) that they will fire them as test before they will try land with them...

Yes, they will test the SuperDraco's at just above parachute altitude, if they work then dragon will proceed with a powered landing. If there is a problem, pop the chutes.

Silly Falcon Heavy payload idea: Statue of David Bowie, maybe impacted into some celestial body, or even designed to make a re-entry 'fireworks show'/meteor shower like the one planned for Tokyo 2020... there's a star...maaaan, waiting in the sky...

1 hour ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Silly Falcon Heavy payload idea:

A bus.

Because SpaceX keeps bragging that their fairing can hold a bus. :P 

As a bus driver, I would totally approve. :cool:

I could even suggest some specific busses I'd like to see blasted into space...<_<

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

27 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

The coolest would be an dragon 2 in an free return trajectory around Moon. 
It would however not been stupid. Pretty much an showoff yes but not stupid. 

It won't be beyond earth orbit, they haven't applied for the necessary state department authorisation.

No government body has formally been given that power, but one of them needs to do it because of the outer space treaty. It's been decided that the power basically defaults to the state department, and they were in charge of approval for moon express. Probably it will be transferred to the FAA in future.

Shame a Moon free return has to be authorised. Would be pretty awesome if they did that.

On the other hand, they probably would want to return all the cores back to Earth which would be tricky if they went for the slingshot? So maybe a silly payload + second stage return demo?

Edited by Veeltch

I don't want to stop or slow down the hype train for FH, but actually, even if the hardware might be closer to being ready than ever, and evenwhen it is ready, FH will need to wait for SLC-40 to be back in business. And that might still take a while...

2 hours ago, Veeltch said:

Shame a Moon free return has to be authorised. Would be pretty awesome if they did that.

On the other hand, they probably would want to return all the cores back to Earth which would be tricky if they went for the slingshot? So maybe a silly payload + second stage return demo?

There is a reason why Musk is Trump's advisor :wink: