SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Boring launches are best launches. It means everything is working as intended :) Thrill might be gone, but we all know here how much every fireball costs and how it hurts space exploration. So - here's for boring, 100 % succesfull routine :D

The thrill may be gone, but there is still something very satisfying about a clean, successful job done in what is a very difficult and treacherous field of endeavour. I watch quite a lot of launches (rarely live, given limited times of day I can do so) for the success - not the excitement of thinking "will it succeed - or fail?!"

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

Boring launches are best launches. It means everything is working as intended :) Thrill might be gone, but we all know here how much every fireball costs and how it hurts space exploration. So - here's for boring, 100 % succesfull routine :D

Sooner or later I will trip up and say "have a nominal trip" to a non space nerd.

This was recently posted on /r/spacex:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139688943
(Tom Mueller interview/Skype call)

Couple of SpaceX related highlights:

• They avoid space vendors
  • Block 5 will have reusable TPS and better landing legs that can fold for transport
  • Elon on Merlin engines: Why do they cost more than a model S when they weight 1/5 as much?
  • SpaceX has forced other LPs to innovate, reuse.
  • Raptor designed to 99% thermal efficiency
  • 30% of F9 cost is upper stage
  • Videos claiming that SpaceX faked landing are highest compliment (because they are claiming that what you are doing is impossible)
  • >4000psi combustion chamber pressure
  • Methane is much cheaper than kerosene
  • 1000t of propellant needs to be manufactured on Mars over 2 years to get home
  • Elon wanted 12h F9 turnaround, settled for 24h
  • Electric prop for sats
  • SpaceX is looking at nuclear thermal, prohibitively expensive for SpaceX to develop due to environmental laws, if NASA every works on it SpaceX would "jump in"
  • Raptor is 3.5, 3.6 O/F ratio
  • ITS could do jupiter direct with about 20t payload, no people without depots
  • SpaceX is enabling "killer space apps"
  • Working for Elon Musk is "pretty trippy" "different every day" "extremely demanding" tends to take the harder way
  • Merlin uses "phase shutoff" Mueller advised Elon against it (removes many valves, some computers, harder R&D with many RUDs on test stands) 
  • SpaceX is following NASA planetary protection protocols, initially

He also describes a rocket engine as "Throwing 800lbs of bricks at mach 10 every second" 

Transcript here: 

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Raptor designed to 99% thermal efficiency

SpaceX: Redesigning the thermodynamics.

Methane is much cheaper than kerosene

Wasn't kerosene declared as "fuel costs almost nothing compared to a rocket"?

1000t of propellant needs to be manufactured on Mars over 2 years to get home

They would start with a greenhouse. Anyway more realistic than a return.

SpaceX is looking at nuclear thermal

To drop the thermal efficiency from 99% back to 50? No way.

SpaceX is enabling "killer space apps"

12000 sats occupying all near-Earth space. Nobody could just have a place to launch one more.

Sooo... SpaceX is interested in nuclear engines. I wondered when it will pop up :) It does make a lot of sense in context of ITS. Less thrust than a bunch of LFO engined clustered at the tail, but more efficiency, less hassle with fuel ( you only need to take methane along, skipping on the troublesome cryo'ed oxygen). And if you manage to develop dual-mode engine you will get power out of it - which would be handy during long - range missions beyond Mars orbit.

Well, in perfect world it would be the moment when NASA would step forward, be pioneers again and finally finish developing this darned thing. Alas, it's not going to happen. *le sigh*

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

Sooo... SpaceX is interested in nuclear engines. I wondered when it will pop up :) It does make a lot of sense in context of ITS. Less thrust than a bunch of LFO engined clustered at the tail, but more efficiency, less hassle with fuel ( you only need to take methane along, skipping on the troublesome cryo'ed oxygen). And if you manage to develop dual-mode engine you will get power out of it - which would be handy during long - range missions beyond Mars orbit.

Well, in perfect world it would be the moment when NASA would step forward, be pioneers again and finally finish developing this darned thing. Alas, it's not going to happen. *le sigh*

Methane is just as cryogenic as oxygen. 
Using nuclear thermal or other space engines also changes the setup, it would probably be easier to design an in space only ship for the earth - mars run.

Yes you could also go nuts or the tug route as many of us do in ksp. Tug accelerate payload to escape speed then brakes and return to low orbit. 
This became harder with the 1.x simply as we don't have customization heat shields. 

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

SpaceX: Redesigning the thermodynamics. Carnot?  Any relation to Bug's aluminum carrot?

Wasn't kerosene declared as "fuel costs almost nothing compared to a rocket"?  If you are buying into the "100 launches per rocket" fantasy, costs of fuel might break out of the noise.

They would start with a greenhouse. Anyway more realistic than a return.  Ignoring the return would be a PR disaster.  I don't think it is really an option.

To drop the thermal efficiency from 99% back to 50? No way.  Troll harder.  Or maybe the others were just too easy.

12000 sats occupying all near-Earth space. Nobody could just have a place to launch one more.  Also close the patent office.  Everything has already been invented.

Comments in red because I couldn't figure out how to break up the quote block.  Started out well, but the snark fell into trolling toward the end (when you ran out of "marketing/PR" to puncture).

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Methane is just as cryogenic as oxygen. 
Using nuclear thermal or other space engines also changes the setup, it would probably be easier to design an in space only ship for the earth - mars run.

Yes you could also go nuts or the tug route as many of us do in ksp. Tug accelerate payload to escape speed then brakes and return to low orbit. 
This became harder with the 1.x simply as we don't have customization heat shields. 

For certain trajectories, the tug can take a free-return trajectory back and then aerobrake/aerocapture.

16 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Carnot?  Any relation to Bug's aluminum carrot?

Heat cycle with 99% thermodynamics efficiency? Really?

18 minutes ago, wumpus said:

If you are buying into the "100 launches per rocket" fantasy, costs of fuel might break out of the noise

Breaking the tested kerolox design to implement totally new fuel?
When a year ago fuel price didn't matter?

20 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Ignoring the return would be a PR disaster.  I don't think it is really an option.

I mean, to produce and keep 1000 t of cryomethane they would first colonize Mars.

22 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Troll harder.  Or maybe the others were just too easy.

No troll, Nuke plants efficiency is just ~30%. Too puny if compared with declared 99% on chemicals.

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

SpaceX: Redesigning the thermodynamics.

Wasn't kerosene declared as "fuel costs almost nothing compared to a rocket"?

They would start with a greenhouse. Anyway more realistic than a return.

To drop the thermal efficiency from 99% back to 50? No way.

12000 sats occupying all near-Earth space. Nobody could just have a place to launch one more.

RP1 is cheap compared to the rocket. 
However I guess its very expensive compared to standard kerosene. As he said and who is probably correct is that the space industry has an very high price level. 
Then you liquefy natural gas its very simple to get pure methane and this is done in large scale today. 
You could get pretty cheap RP1 you did an long term deal with an refinery and they made it as part of the refinery process. 

You have to return, other options is way more technical complex and have moral / pr issues who makes the no go for dictatorships. 

I did not get the thermal efficient part either, sounds like an random out of content quote from an bullet list. 
Its room for a lot of satellites. 

15 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Then you liquefy natural gas its very simple to get pure methane

Gas refinery just doesn't need to deal with heavy fluids. But it's not just liquefy, it has same stages of separation and purification as oil refinery.
And here they speak not about gas for civil needs, but about rocket quality fuel.
And this fuel requires large insulated tanks rather than kerosene, so yet nobody was interested in it enough much.

Anyway, trying to imagine 1000 t plant and storage on Mars...
Don't forget: you can't just scale down a terrestrial refinery and build just in a Martian barn. Size matters. So, very probably the plant will weight much more than 1000 t of product (rocket-quality product).

Edited by kerbiloid

They want to get the costs down enough for the fuelcost to matter...

BTW: The nice thing about SpaceX approach is that they plan to do without nuclear engines, not having to deal with radiation (especialy when landed) helps a lot with lowering the costs.

24 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

As I recall, MEthane's biggest advantage is that it's clean burning, vs kerosene that leaves deposits. Important for quick-turnaround reusability. That it's also cheaper is just an incidental plus. 

Methane also has four hydrogens per carbon compared to a bit over two for kerosene. (Exact value depends on the average chain length as well as whether any cyclic or unsaturated hydrocarbons are present.) This gives methalox a better ISP than kerolox while still avoiding the nuisance that is liquid hydrogen storage. (Although hydrolox ISP will still reign supreme in chemical rocketry.)

Also IIRC Blue Origin is also developing methalox, so the combination obviously has some merit over more traditional choices. IMO price is unlikely to be the main driver, although any savings are always nice as far as a business thinks.

16 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Tom Mueller interview/Skype call

This is the guy i've been waiting to hear from.

The rockstar of rocket engine design.

Tom talking about the merlin engine.

Glushko did FFSC with the RD-270 in the 1960s, test-fired but it never flew.

Tom Mueller might be the first guy on the planet to see his FFSC rocket engine fly.

Not only fly...but fly to Mars.

(I hope we get to meet some of the other guys on the raptor engine team.)

1000t of propellant needs to be manufactured on Mars over 2 years to get home

ITS can get home from mars on a half-tank. Surprising how many dont get it.

About 7000m/s for 25t cargo on board.

Raptor is 3.5, 3.6 O/F ratio

Was using 3.8 (bulk density 0.90kg/L) in my calcs.

Methane bulk density  @ O/F 3.6 is 0.89kg/L.

I wonder when he will post the twr, or will elon pull rank.

29 minutes ago, RedKraken said:

ITS can get home from mars on a half-tank. Surprising how many dont get it.

About 7000m/s for 25t cargo on board.

aehm ... the ITS doesn't exist yet ... as far as i read it is unclear whether there is a full sized raptor ... no dry mass, no isp (*), no dV. And one will have to wait for a somewhat convenient phase angle if one day someone should wish to return home again ...

Just saying :-)

Edit (*) except raw figures from a presentation

Edited by Green Baron