SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

HELLO? HELLO? OPERATOR? QUICK! WHAT'S THE TEMPERATURE IN HELL??

"This is a recorded message. We are currently having a snowball fight with the lost souls. Please call back later."

- Beelzebub.

Something I noticed is that SpaceX are reusing their Dragon spacecraft for their next launch on June 1st. Why not reuse it all the time? Why haven't they done this before?

Excited for the launch

Edited by Skylon

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

Something I noticed is that SpaceX are reusing their Dragon spacecraft for their next lamuch on June 1st. Why not reuse it all the time? Why haven't they done this before?

Excited for the launch

NASA demanded new craft for each launch. Apparently reability an lobbying let them reuse. 

2 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Something I noticed is that SpaceX are reusing their Dragon spacecraft for their next lamuch on June 1st. Why not reuse it all the time? Why haven't they done this before?

Excited for the launch

There has to be a first time for everything.

It had to be approved by the NASA  COTS program, presumably.

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

NASA demanded new craft for each launch. Apparently reability an lobbying let them reuse. 

1 minute ago, tater said:

There has to be a first time for everything.

It had to be approved by the NASA  COTS program, presumably.

Ninja'd!

Edited by Skylon

Technically this is a partially reused Dragon... and technically, most other dragons before also were partially reused.

SpaceX has a rich history of raiding returned Dragons for parts to construct new ones. It's just that, so far, they've only reused internals. Cables, circuit boards, fans, interior paneling, that kind of thing. Next flight will be the first one that actually reuses a pressure vessel. However, there will still be parts on that Dragon that are manufactured from scratch.

Consider it one step among many towards fully reusable spacecraft.

Static fire complete... and then some. :0.0:

Fire crews were dispatched to a wildfire near pad 39A Sunday afternoon caused by the static fire test, according to a tweet from the Brevard County Emergency Management Office.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/05/28/falcon-9-rocket-fires-engines-in-hold-down-test-for-station-resupply-launch/

Well. When you are igniting a giant firecracker in the area with trees, grass and weeds around you better be prepared for mishaps :) But hey - not everyday you can fight the fire caused by a spaceship :cool:

4 hours ago, Scotius said:

Well. When you are igniting a giant firecracker in the area with trees, grass and weeds around you better be prepared for mishaps :) But hey - not everyday you can fight the fire caused by a spaceship :cool:

its a dream come true!

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

I hope they have used enough deodorant spray after the capsule had delivered from orbit 2 tons of, hm... "equipment", instead of a single-use burnable Progress trash can.

The ISS fragrance isn't all that great anyway from what I hear. Plus astronauts are big boys and girls - I figure they'll get over any reused Dragon odour pretty quickly :) 

Edited by KSK

18 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

I hope they have used enough deodorant spray after the capsule had delivered from orbit 2 tons of, hm... "equipment", instead of a single-use burnable Progress trash can.

It always cracks me up when i hear "Make a wish on a falling star". How many people realise that these days, there is a chance it's just a piece of deorbiting astronaut poop? :sticktongue:

19 minutes ago, Scotius said:

It always cracks me up when i hear "Make a wish on a falling star". How many people realise that these days, there is a chance it's just a piece of deorbiting astronaut poop? :sticktongue:

And since it's been vaporized in the upper atmosphere, you've probably inhaled it. :wink:

Got my ticket for the hype train, took the day off & everything. :cool:

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And since it's been vaporized in the upper atmosphere, you've probably inhaled it. :wink:

Fortunately there is a stable inversion layer between the sratosphere and the whether relevant storeys. For now we're safe from inhaling poop ...

:-)

8 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Fortunately there is a stable inversion layer between the sratosphere and the whether relevant storeys. For now we're safe from inhaling poop ...

:-)

What do you think the smell from the bathroom is?

On 5/31/2017 at 1:39 AM, Skylon said:

Looks like CRS-11 is go for tomorrow, with a reused dragon

All aboard the hype train!

Now that spacecraft reusability is an established thing, we can't just refer to these rockets by mission number or payload owner.

Does anyone know if the reused Dragon capsules and Falcon stages have individual names?

If Elon can't be bothered to name them I think we should. Any suggestions?

Just now, Nightside said:

Now that spacecraft reusability is an established thing, we can't just refer to these rockets by mission number or payload owner.

Does anyone know if the reused Dragon capsules and Falcon stages have individual names?

If Elon can't be bothered to name them I think we should. Any suggestions?

I think a simple name/code would suffice.

E.g. DC-4 for the Dragon Capsule flown on CRS-4,

FB-(insert number) for the Falcon Booster

And of you like you could give names to vehicles which achieved milestones e.g first landing, first dragon reuse etc.