DT Vista Engine Losing Thrust

So I have built a vessel to carry my crew to the Jovian system in KSP. I am trying to leave the Kerbin system with a DT Vista Fusion Engine, but I keep running into the same problem over and over. Out of the blue, my thrust drops to 0. I check Kerbal Engineer and it says that my fuel is burning and all other resources are being consumed as normal. Check the engine itself and it says it has 600Kn of thrust, but my orbital speed isn't changing at all. There is a constant supply of power coming from the Nuclear fusion generator, keeping the power above 2.5Gw. This isn't happening right when I start my burn either, I will use 1,750DV in a certain direction with perfect output from the engine, but after that it just stops, with 250 more DV required to finish my burn correctly. I have been looking over this all night and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing this constant failure in engine output. Any advice? Anyone else seen this weird bug?

Edited by SimonTheSkink
Grammer

Since this thread isn't really gaining much traction, I decided to crop together a video real quickly to show the problem I am having. Please ask me any questions you might have, since I'm pretty much dead in the water until I get this working.

Edited by SimonTheSkink

I've had a similar problem to this that can occur with many different engines where I seem to get "stuck" in a particular orbit, and nothing I do can change it. I think it's related to part clipping, but that's just a hypothesis.

A question: do you have functioning RCS? is that able to change your orbit, or is it simply a problem with Vista thrust? What do the values from Kengineer and from the Vista say for thrust in kN?

2 hours ago, proteasome said:

I've had a similar problem to this that can occur with many different engines where I seem to get "stuck" in a particular orbit, and nothing I do can change it. I think it's related to part clipping, but that's just a hypothesis.

A question: do you have functioning RCS? is that able to change your orbit, or is it simply a problem with Vista thrust? What do the values from Kengineer and from the Vista say for thrust in kN?

Here is a video. This might do a better job explaining.

3 hours ago, proteasome said:

To add to your question, I have tried using RCS to see if my velocity increases or not. The results have shown no effect on velocity at all. So it appears its not with the engine at all. I even built a new ship and still have the same issue.

Fantastic news! I figured out the problem! It appears to be caused by the "Drill-o-matic's" I have attached to the outside. I have no idea why, but when they are removed the ship will move with RCS. Now I need to to figure out a workaround to this, moreso... why would this cause this? Any ideas?

you have exactly the same problem I've periodically come across. I haven't found anybody else with this problem yet, so I don't know what's causing it. 

I've been able to avoid the problem for now by taking the following steps, which I gleaned from various posts, but I'm not sure which of them is actually causing the bug to go away.

1) I did a clean install of KSP and all my mods. I made sure to get rid of any mods I wasn't using. One mod in particular that I did get rid of, which may have been causing the problem, was OPT space plane parts. I also uninstalled TCA for what it's worth. Other mods I removed included precise node, better burn time. I don't know if this bug is a mod conflict or not.  

2) I now try to avoid excessive part clipping. I think this may have been causing the problem. Do your ships have significant part clipping? I would be really curious to know. 

3) I avoid excessive quicksaving.

4) I keep my saves uncluttered.

I first noticed the bug a while ago, but it got really bad last week. Since then I've been doing these 4 things and haven't seen it come back. Let me know what works or doesn't for you. 

Interesting. None of my ships have had drill-o-matics.

Were they at all clipped into anything, even when extended?

@proteasome The issue doesn't seem to be with part clipping though. I have moved the part to other parts of the ship with the exact same results. The mod creator thinks that that it is making a negative mass. I don't fully know why its doing this, but it's just with this one part. I am proceeding to make another install with only this mod to see if the mod is responsible for this happening or not, that way I can have it reported to the creator. 

As for your advice, I thank you for the tips. I will just avoid attaching the drill for now and if need be I will build the drill onsite using "Simple Construction". If you have any further input, I would be glad to hear it out.

@proteasome

I am back after more test results. So after taking the time to make a clean install of KSP and installing only Interstellar Extended, I've been able to repeat the thrust issue being caused by the Drill-o-matic. I am going to do a vanilla run in a few minutes here to see if happens with the stock parts only. I will keep you updated. 

FYI, I am running this in 64-bit mode. Not sure if it makes a difference but I figured I should mention it.

*UPDATE* I have tested again in vanilla with no issues. The issue only seems to occur with Interstellar Extended installed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.