Lego to release deluxe Apollo 11 kit

vger

4 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Oh, sorry, I should've searched "lego cool thing" instead of "lego apollo" before posting this. My bad. :rolleyes:

I'll also be sure to search "awesome lego," "neat lego," and "wicked lego." :sticktongue:

Edited by vger

7 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Also, it has 1969 parts, the same number of parts as the year of the moon landing.

(Wow, how do they pack that many pieces in there? That's more than my millennium falcon!)

It is a metre high. :)  Also, the concept models had propellant tanks and other internal details. I'm hoping the high brick count means that that kind of stuff made it through to the production model.

46 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

I had this set when I was a kid. Yeah, 3 astronauts on the Moon and the LM looks like... well...

moonlanding3.jpg

This was before they invented minifigs and the LRV had spoke wheels. Yes, I'm that old.

I had that one too. I used those grey pieces for engines when I made all sorts of spaceships and airplanes.

11 minutes ago, Skylon said:

This looks really cool, and I will definitely buy if it is not ridiculously expensive (wishful thinking), but 1969 parts? That will lag my potato processor. 

21309 – NASA Apollo Saturn V
Available June 1, 2017.
Ages 14+. 1,969 pieces.
$119.99

:(

8 hours ago, 1of6Billion said:

The other day I was wondering I should write to Lego to convince them to relaunch a Lego Space line. I would totally buy every set. 

space-lego-logo-BF47EAE5CA-seeklogo.com.

This is an adequate start :cool:

I'd buy every set of the old Lego Space stuff too.

Classic -> BlackTron -> Futuron -> Space Police -> M-Tron -> BlackTron Future Generation -> Neo Space Police -> Ice Planet 2002

Yeah, baby.

I wonder if in the future we will see a SpaceX ITS model, and children will look at it and ask their parents what it was like watching the first ever launch, and they may both be living on mars.

But for now I am satisfied with this :P but I would enjoy an F9 model.

38 minutes ago, Skylon said:

I wonder if in the future we will see a SpaceX ITS model, and children will look at it and ask their parents what it was like watching the first ever launch, and they may both be living on mars.

You might need to dig out some spare engine bell parts but I bet you could build a decent F9 from the Saturn V set. A Falcon Heavy on the other hand.... :) 

23 hours ago, KSK said:

You might need to dig out some spare engine bell parts but I bet you could build a decent F9 from the Saturn V set. A Falcon Heavy on the other hand.... :) 

They oughta just do a full series of IRL space vehicles and probes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1 May 2017 at 4:12 PM, Skylon said:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/128030 This F9 is good. If you want to build it now, the creator has a site with plans. You will have to buy parts individually though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's here. It's here! Some shops are selling it a bit early, including John Lewis in the UK! People have it! I have one! \o/

£110 in Britain, $120 in the USA I think. Which might seem expensive if you're not an AFOL but is actually cheaper than many of their adult-oriented sets, and a low price considering the piece count.

With those 1969 pieces it's very fortunate that Lego have done numbered bags. (Bag 1 has the pieces for the first part of the build, then Bag 2 for the next, and so on). 12 of them, and I've built the first 3. Which is just the first stage, not even finished yet, without the engines, and I already get a sense of just how huge this is going to be.

Be a bit careful with the build, some steps are fiddly and the incomplete model may have weak points that are only reinforced later.

Thanks for the heads up @cantab! Just ordered mine - am collecting from store tomorrow afternoon.

Good thing I was taking the day off tomorrow anyway - my day just got solidly booked. :) 

On 5/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, cantab said:

It's here. It's here! Some shops are selling it a bit early, including John Lewis in the UK! People have it! I have one!

Can you confirm if it has the internals mentioned here:

On 4/30/2017 at 2:09 AM, KSK said:

Also, the concept models had propellant tanks and other internal details. I'm hoping the high brick count means that that kind of stuff made it through to the production model.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.