If you could be given a drug that removes all pain, with no side effects, would you take it?

WhiskyHotel3

If you could be given a drug that removes all pain, with no side effects, would you take it?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take it?

• Yes
    • No

*Inserts some philosophical question about what pain is, and what it means to different people*

If you mean physical pain, then, yeah, I guess, but mental pain can (At least sometimes) help you improve over time, so you don't make the same mistake, yadda yadda.

Edited by Spaceception

No. Heck no. Pain is a tool to prevent damage. Without pain, you wouldn't care about that hot stove or that impact, and you'd likely go along with your day like normal after suffering a sucking chest wound or something. Having no pain would mean that you need to perform continual conscious evaluations of your status to make sure you aren't sustaining damage. It would be like losing the proprioception in your legs and walking visually.

And if pain had no good reason to exist, why does it? Clearly, the reaction we have to such a trivial injury as a stubbed toe would represent a loss of efficacy... but pain is still around and quite universal among those animals with nervous systems. If it wasn't useful, it would have been phased out aeons ago.

Having been severely depressed at one point of my life, I think this question is better framed in the idea of emotional pain. Something that no amount of industrial strength pain killers can resolve (and to an extent, even anti-depressants won't cure it). So in reference to that kind of pain- I'll likely be the odd man out and say I'd agree. Emotional pain like what I experienced is rough, and if there was an option to skip it and be able to just focus on my life.

I also have chronic pain, but on some days it's the pain that helps me know I am still alive. Yes, I do have relatively "pain free" days, but to be honest with you, I get strength from that pain. Some days it's knowing the pain didn't "own me" and hold me back that helps me face the next day...

as i don't really do the difference between, breathing, sport, eating, drinking and "drug" and a few others neuro things ... well ...

from a neuro aspect (and all energy recovery concern unlinked from all the other neuro aspect) .... ... ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This exists, but it's not a drug, it's a horrific disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_insensitivity_to_pain

Because feeling physical pain is vital for survival, CIP is an extremely dangerous condition. It is common for people with the condition to die in childhood due to injuries or illnesses going unnoticed. Burn injuries are one of the more common injuries.

[...]

Children with this condition often suffer oral cavity damage both in and around the oral cavity (such as having bitten off the tip of their tongue) or fractures to bones. Unnoticed infections and corneal damage due to foreign objects in the eye are also seen.

7 hours ago, WhiskyHotel3 said:

Perma

In that case, I must update mine to:

14 hours ago, razark said:

Depends.

In my normal day-to-day life?  No.

If I was recovering from surgery or a serious accident?  Yes. No.

If I suffered from chronic pain like my wife?  Hell yes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.