The "Complain About Your School" Thread

TotallyNotHuman

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

this is why i never went beyond my associates agree. i felt i was just wasting my time and money. if you want to learn something just rtfm. just go to the library and check out whatever textbook for whatever subject you want to take. read it in its entirety, and you will have all the knowledge you need to put it in practice. its probibly not enough to get a job in the field as they want credentials most of the time, and the only way to get those is to feed the scammers in the education industry, but its not like you will ever get to do what you wanted in the first place. school isnt about education, its about indoctrination.

School, at least before university/college, is more about learning how to learn than actually learning anything useful. All I learned, though, was how to fake my way through school. 

College, though, is a different story, and depends a lot on the individual. Some people get really good scholarships. Most people don't. Some people have family that's willing to pay for their degrees, many don't have anyone who can, let alone will.

I hate the kids at my HS. I am in mostly honors classes, but I am taking regular Spanish. Most of the kids in there hate the teacher (we've had 3 over the year, one got sick, one was just subbing but was a permanent for other classes, and the current one is a long term sub). She is not bad, but they just don't like her.

I go to a private school, so a lot of them are rich. She sprang a pop quiz on us one day, which is perfectly acceptable. However, the rich, snobby kids who don't like her are also the stupid ones who don't bother studying or trying to get decent grades. They got D's and F's on the quiz, and started talking about suing the school to make them leave. 

I thought this was a pretty hard school to get in to, but it doesn't seem that way anymore based on these kids intelligent. All my other classes are ok, with the exception of one kid. He is always on his iPad (required for school, I'll get to that later) and playing games. He's been caught, but the school doesn't seem to care. He even got caught cheating on a test with his phone (Spanish again, who would've guessed) and he is still here. 

The school also requires iPads. I am typing this out on mine, and we had to buy them ourself out of our own pocket, in addition to the tuition. They cost $700-$1200, and do the same things as a $150-$300 android tablet could do. I personally do not like apple, and the fact that we are forced to buy these specific tablets liquides me off. 

Pother then that, the classes are pretty good, and I am on the robotics team as a programmer. Almost no one e plays KSP, but I am grateful for the fact that I can hang out on the forums during the day. 

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
Should I be studying for my AP tests? Nah...

@Just Jim: My father was career military and retired during my senior year of high school - 1988. So, in December, we packed everything up and headed to his hometown of Gulfport, Mississippi. Now most civilian youth believe that DoDDS are "propaganda mills" for the military. I often heard this as we moved every two to three years and often times, I went to public schools wherever we lived at until my dad was sent to Germany in 1984. In fact, I found the DoDDS schools totally different - and far more advanced than their civilian state-side counterparts. I had the option to take summer courses beginning in the summer between my 8th grade and 9th grade year - which I did. As a result, by the time I began my senior year of high school (in Germany), I was taking courses such as College Prep English, Physics II, Calculus II, Basics of Electronics II (a vocational technology class), French III, German II, and band. I also took Latin classes after school because I didn't want to go home.

When we moved to what I began (and still do) refer to as "Red Neck Tech", they had none of that. The graduation requirements for high school only required three years of English (I was technically taking a class offered for those who had already completed 4 years in the DoDDS system), they only required two maths, two sciences, and some other stupid classes. For my last semester of high school, I had ONE class: band - followed by seven study halls. So, with that said, I was concurrently enrolled in a local community college while I was still in high school.

I do not consider myself a "graduate" of that broke-down high school. I opted out of walking across the stage, I have never attended a reunion - because when I attended that school as a student, I was treated like an outcast. I didn't go to prom nor did I even had a girlfriend. I often was referred to as a "Kraut" or my personal favorite, a World War II era German, but a certain other word that cannot be used on the forum. I was also treated like a foreigner because I was not only fluent in French, but could also read and write basic (conversational) German. All because many in the high school were ignorant that while a military dependent, one can live in nearly any foreign country their military parent is assigned to.

So... for me, I personally hated high school - specifically that last half-year. If I had a choice to repeat basic training or go back to high school, all I can say is "Hooah!"

(For those of you never in the military, that means I'd choose to go through basic training again)

Edited by adsii1970

This makes me freaking dissapointed alright.

What we learn in history class is just going out of hand. We arent even learning interesting things, this months topic was (supposed to be) about World War Two, but no instead we got Holo(i hope what you know what i mean). We litterly got 1 lesson about the ACTUAL war, about the actual invasions in Europe. But it was not interesting either, no tactics, use of weapons and vehicles were explained expect for blitzkrieg. And then the rest of the month was just pictures that are going to make you cry. Not saying we should forget about that topic, since its still important, but dont let us sit there for a month. I instead hopped on the internet and researched some stuff there.

Here is a list about all the stuff he forgot to mention.

- Atomic Bombs

- The Gulag

- The V-2

- Weapons used by any faction (all i know from history class is that the Dutch used cannons from a museum to try and fight the Germans)

-Some facts about Churchill

-Some facts about Stalin

-Some facts about Roosevelt

-Some facts about the Japanese leader (forgot the name)

- The war outside Europe in general.

- Vehicles used by all factions.

So i already know some things about this. But i dont want to leave my fellow students uneducated, all they know is The Germans were bad guys in WW2 and i dont want to keep it that way.

30 minutes ago, NSEP said:

This makes me freaking dissapointed alright.

But i dont want to leave my fellow students uneducated, all they know is The Germans were bad guys in WW2 and i dont want to keep it that way.

pm'ing you now... :wink:

I've been lucky enough to be placed in a school system that is not terrible. Fortunately.

No bullies, no idiot teachers, no overly strict rules. I can guarantee you that at any stereotypical school I would immediately be singled out as that one nerd and wouldn't make it a week.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. Also, there was that one "confetti cannon" incident, and that one "final countdown" incident that both sort of upgraded my social status from "total nerd" to "cool nerd."

But the one thing that really stinks about my school?

THE INTERNET.

Just for example, I'm at my house right now and my isp is having problems. I have to refresh each page twice to get it to load, it drops out completely every ten minutes, and these problems happen somewhat more often than I'd like.

My school's internet is worse. Our school had the absolutely brilliant idea to split their one working wifi network into three smaller ones that didn't have the capacity to service hundreds of devices at a time. You get on-and-off access, changing every few minutes, and it frequently takes more than thirty seconds to load my email page. At our school, we have these things called chromebooks - they are, to say the least, not very fast.

In math class, we often use Kahoot to do review stuff. Today, the lag was so bad that I literally got the message "Your network connection is too slow to play Kahoot." Which stunk, because I had to start over and I was in first place!

That, and the fact that the middle school library is way better than the high school library.

/end rant

I wish you all luck in solving your school problems!

48 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I've been lucky enough to be placed in a school system that is not terrible. Fortunately.

My school system also isn't that bad. 

49 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. Also, there was that one "confetti cannon" incident, and that one "final countdown" incident that both sort of upgraded my social status from "total nerd" to "cool nerd."

UMMMMMMMMMM... 

51 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

But the one thing that really stinks about my school?

THE INTERNET.

I TOTALLY AGREE. 

52 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

My school's internet is worse. Our school had the absolutely brilliant idea to split their one working wifi network into three smaller ones that didn't have the capacity to service hundreds of devices at a time. You get on-and-off access, changing every few minutes, and it frequently takes more than thirty seconds to load my email page. At our school, we have these things called chromebooks - they are, to say the least, not very fast.

We have iPads... :/ 

53 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

In math class, we often use Kahoot to do review stuff. Today, the lag was so bad that I literally got the message "Your network connection is too slow to play Kahoot." Which stunk, because I had to start over and I was in first place!

Oh hey! We also use Kahoot! :D 

53 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I wish you all luck in solving your school problems!

*defenestrates my homework*

Mixed sets were the worst. They're unfair on everyone involved. The higher ability kids were held back by the lower ability kids, and the lower ability kids were confused by the work. I'm not sure as to why schools believe mixed sets to be a good idea, but let me tell you: they are poison for enthusiasm. Mixed-set philosophy at my old secondary was a mess, where it took two lessons to get through a single lesson's material. The work had to be watered down to suit those who were less able.

Some of the kids were stupid, but at the end of the day, they're not going to be occupying positions of power or relevance in 10-20 years time. Chances are if you don't know what country you are in ("What country do we live in?" being an actual quote from an old classmate), you're not going to get far. The stupid kids didn't get to me past the first couple of years (I used to be a pretentious smartA).

Chavs (Note to non-Brits: chavs are what you might call city white trash) were bad, but the key is to understand how they operate. At the end of the day, it's a tribal mentality. If you adhere to the social norms, you're alright to them. If you act like them, then they will welcome you provided you fit the social norms. If you deviate, then you're either going to be easy picking or you need to go under the radar a bit. It helps to have a large circle of friends. Chav mentality is pack mentality. It was always a group of at least three chavs that gave everyone grief. Larger groups roamed the grounds and you were to stay well away from them. If not, you would get shoved. They establish dominance over people. Some more than others. It was a rule that every non-chav got grief from chavs, but if you appeared vulnerable to them, you would be targeted more often. As mentioned before, the best way to deal with chavs was either to become one (bad idea), or be in an equally large group with many non-chav friends, and don't be a victim.

My experiences with state school were not great. If I ever have kids, I would gladly pay for them to go to a fee-paying school, or pray that they get into a good grammar school.

1 hour ago, Rainbowtrout said:

I'm not sure as to why schools believe mixed sets to be a good idea

It's a good Idea for finantial reasons, what else? *sarcasm* What else could be a good reason to do anything?

However, I believe that the teacher(s) you're talking about are just overwhelmed by the task. The whole concept hasn't been thought through. New concepts of teaching are needed.

Edited by Physics Student

So on a discord server yesterday, I realized something. My schools timing stinks. So my schedule is 8AM to 4PM, except for Fridays where it's 8AM to 3:10PM. Well, I learned the times of some other people. Somewhere Washington state gets 8:20AM to 2:50PM, except on Wednesdays where it's 1:20PM. Another goes from 8AM to 2:20PM. Why do I have the longest time out of everyone?!

6 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So on a discord server yesterday, I realized something. My schools timing stinks. So my schedule is 8AM to 4PM, except for Fridays where it's 8AM to 3:10PM. Well, I learned the times of some other people. Somewhere Washington state gets 8:20AM to 2:50PM, except on Wednesdays where it's 1:20PM. Another goes from 8AM to 2:20PM. Why do I have the longest time out of everyone?!

[Emphasis added by Dman979]

Normally because schools in the US have a state-mandated minimum number of hours per school year. I'm going to guess that you get more time off, though.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:59 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Also, there was that one "confetti cannon" incident, and that one "final countdown" incident that both sort of upgraded my social status from "total nerd" to "cool nerd."

Do tell! 

On 5/6/2017 at 9:50 AM, The Raging Sandwich said:

That's dumb, I got out because I had a small migraine. 

On 5/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, munlander1 said:

I got strep. Could not leave school because I did not have a fever

Here in Weather Goes Completely Bezerk Land, it's the opposite - stay out for strep, stay in for a migraine (I think). Speaking of crazy weather, sometimes schools are not so great at dealing with it. I'm looking at you, ventilation system! You won't believe how many times I got stick because of bad ventilation during allergy and rainy seasons.

History class is getting worse, i do not trust it anymore. I found out some of the things are not true, its more victorious propaganda than real history. And also, in the history books, they did not even give a single mention about the space race, no, freaking James Bond is more important. -insert 1 million facepalms here-

46 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Someone in my class just said his favorite aircraft was the Airbus 747.

I'm done.

Its still good that your classmates actually care about the outside world at least a little. My classmates only care about snapchat and instagram.